General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Wonder if anyone can help me. I went yesterday (Boots, Superdrug etc) to buy the tablets for my plug in and I can't get them anywhere. The girl in Superdrug said she had not seen them in stock this year. Have they stopped selling these?
I have just bought some citronella soap on ebay which is anti- mosquito , sounds like a great idea (if it works) , I will take some jungle formula for if it doesn't
Also, some have said that the mozzies are devious little buggers and managing to bit under shirts/shorts so advised to spray yourself all over before dressing and not just exposed parts of the body.

Yes that's true, the mozzies needle like syphon can pierce through delicate clothing.

Just a word of warning....Deet the chemical found in insect repellant is very effective and considered to be "safe", but it is only considered "safe" because it is used for short periods and only sprayed on exposed skin.
when it is combined into aftersun, then you will be spreading it all over the body like a moisturiser and there are some concerns about "over exposure"....this you can find if you google.

Must tell you this.... :roll:
I've been here on the Costa del Sol for over a week and I haven't been bitten, apart from a couple of sand fly bites on the back of my hands from the beach.

Last night we went out for a walk after dinner and I think every mosquito in Europe must have hatched out.
It was incredible, they were everywhere, landing on you, in your hair and I even had them on my spectacles between the lens and my eyes. :shock:
They were all over the things in the beach shops and the owners were spraying all night to try and get rid of them....I picked a pair of red shoes up to look at, but soon threw the blinkin things down when I saw half a dozen mozzies crawling on them.

I said to the hubby, sod this for a game of soldiers, you can please yourself, but me, I'm off back to the hotel into the aire conditioning, there are no mozzies there.
I fully expected to wake up this morning with some bites, but I've been using Australian Bodycare lotion for aftersun and it has the strong distinct smell of Tea Tree and dabbing a few drops of Lavendar essential oil on my wrists and the ankles.
I've got some Avon stuff here with me as well, so tonight I'll be drowning myself in it.....just in case last night was not a "one off".

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
Wonder if anyone can help me. I went yesterday (Boots, Superdrug etc) to buy the tablets for my plug in and I can't get them anywhere. The girl in Superdrug said she had not seen them in stock this year. Have they stopped selling these?

I got some from Asda, they also had them in Morrisons.
Hi, we have just got back from Rhodes. I took Jungle formula which i have used every year with no problem, but this year despite using it morning and evening i got bit 20 times and my son got bit 6 times. Think they must be getting immune to it.

Cazzi x
Hi

Just bought some Jungle formula as someone said i will need it in Turkey, i've never used a mossie repellant before so do you still take deodorant , if so do you put it on before or after using the repellant?.

Thanks.

Basil.
Normally always holiday in November or December and have never encountered mosquitos. Going at the beginning of October this year to Benidorm. Will we need repellant at this time?
Just back fron roda in Corfu and my hubby and I were eaten alive even though I had been taking antihistimes and also garlic tablets before I went. Also even sprayed jungle formula spray with 50% deet and still did not stop the mossies so beware.
Hi
Not normally bitten but went to Rhodes last year. Take garlic tablets every day use avon skin so soft and used mossy spray and we both were bitten. what is thios vitamin B thing and where do you get it.
Cheers
Anne
I also tried vitamin b but I also got bitten also used avon skin so soft so I think next year I will give up trying and let nature take its course.
Mandy ( toms wife)
We returned from Corfu on 11th June and although a lot of people had lots of bites, hubby and I got away lightly.

I had just one bite and he had a couple.

We WERE bitten a couple of times during the day around the pool, though, not sure by what.

We use (and have done for many years) Autan spray plus I use Avon Skin-So-Soft body oil spray first.

Hubby wears long trousers and I wear mainly cropped trousers.

We've been to lots of different places, including long haul and don't really get bitten as badly as some people seem to do.
Maybe it's just something in your skin that makes them want to eat you rather than someone else.

Polly
Just got back this afternoon from Torremolinos and haven't been bitten once, apart from a couple of sandfly bites on the back of my left hand through falling to sleep on the beach and letting my hand rest in the sand.

This is quite amazing considering that one night we had a swarm of mossies hit town and you had to be there to see it, to believe it.

Although we had sunshine and high temperatures everyday for the whole fortnight, there was a welcomed breeze blowing and some nights it got quite gusty....apart from the night the mossies came to town.
Must be some logic there.?
Anyway, I'm not complaining because usually I'm a walking meal for them, but I used no chemicals or took any tablets and I'm the correct blood group that they prefer.
I just used some Tea Tree based moisturiser and dabbed some lavendar oil around my wrists and ankles, I did have some Avon stuff but hardly used it.
Normally always holiday in November or December and have never encountered mosquitos. Going at the beginning of October this year to Benidorm. Will we need repellant at this time?

Helen, yes you will especially if the temperatures hold out.
Last Christmas was exceptional with temperatures in the high 70's and people were being bitten.

Sanji
Just back from Fuerteventura. Have been taking garlic capsules for months and also using Skin Soo Soft determined not to be bitten as I was badly bitten in T urkey years ago. Well, nothing worked :( First day got bitten 3 times and what a mess! I bandaged my leg that night for fear of scratching and breaking the skin, but was worse in the morning. Forced to go to the doctor who gave me an injection in the bottom,a prescription for cream and a course of tablets which cost in total £100 :shock: The docs assistant told me garlic capsules would never help.
Avon skin so soft did not work for me. I used it for a couple of days and got loads of bites in that time. I went and bought some Turkish mozzie spray (called OFF, another is Sinkov) and didn't get bitten again.
Just got back from Ibiza and sprayed my family every night with jungle formula - not one bite, although to be honest I didnt see any mossies either!
I swear by the Turkish SinKov and buy supplies of the stuff to take to other holiday destinations. I think I've got 3 bottles in the house!
I'm not sure I'd use it on babies, as it melts plastic it's that strong :omg
Smells awful too :!: But hey, if it stops me from being bitten by the little blighters........
Can someone recommend a plug-in mozzie repellent please?

My mum's just had a look in Boots and she says the one she looked at was not for use in air-conditioned rooms.

Does ordinary fly spray kill them in a confined space?

We're going to Sharm, Egypt on Monday and I've been told by someone recently returned that there are lots of mozzies about.

Will need to buy them from a shop, not online as too close to holiday.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
i travel to zante every year and just buy my plugin and the tablets for it in the local supermarket
they are the best and really cheap
Thanks Pat

I'll have a look in Tesco, maybe they sell them :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.