Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
LOL, Briar, you have to take into account the stop offs for some people wanting to get out before the louage station and also the police stop and checks.

It took around 2 hours each time in the louage, taxi, if he puts his foot down will get them maybe in 75 minutes.

Brad121 hi..

I didn't realise you had small children with you. It would be best then to arrange a private transfer, especially as you are arriving late. Ask your accommodation provider, otherwise barter with the taxi driver when you get there and aim to pay no more than 60-70TND. While bartering, it helps to hold the money in your hands, so the taxi driver is faced with the temptation of losing out on the money or getting 60TND for 1 job instead of like 10.

The louage is a shared taxi, you get them from central stations and they go to various destinations around Tunisia, e.g Sfax, Sousse, Hammamet, Sousse, etc. They take about 7 passengers who all pay the same amount, maybe a little extra if you have additional luggage. Once you get to your destination, which will be another central louage station, you hop into a taxi to take you the final part of the journey. There are always taxis around the louage station.

What I would suggest is private transfer, then once you are settled in your hotel, any long journeys and trips you may wish to take, do these by louage. If the children are under 2, just put them on your laps, that way you only pay for 2 people.

If I find any cheap transfers, I'll let you know.
Hi,

We arrive midday, so I would like to just hop in a taxi and go to Hammamet.
So would you say about £40 there and £40 back?

Yours,
Brad
  • Edited by brad121 2006-01-27 19:29:41
Hi,

briar HT mod-Sorry I meant Tunis. but now edited it.
Are taxis safe and what do the drivers drive them like?
So would you say pay no more than 70,00 TD? I land midday at Tunis and need to go to Hammamat.

Thanks,
Brad 8)
hi brad

Taxis are generally safe in Tunisia, they are all government regulated and have licence numbers. Some are in better condition than others, but most are in relatively good condition and are maintained to good standards.

I would say no more than 70,000 TND. Barter hard, but that is the limit. You may have to haggle with at least 3 taxi drivers but at least one of them will agree a price like this for you. If the taxi driver puts this journey on the meter it will be very expensive for you. If you have a partner to share the cost of the ride, then obviously it wont be such a dent in the finances.

You will have no problem finding a licenced taxi to take you there, just agree a good price, start the haggling at 40,000 then work your way up, but make 70,000TND around the limit.

I am so jealous.. I want to come :cry:
Hi again,

I have just saw a website that you can have no more than 3 people in a taxi! Is this true?

We have 2 ads, 2 kids and luggage.

So, start at 40,00TD, go up to 70,00TD at most??

Please reply,
Brad
hi,
we have booked to go to Hammamet,Tunisia in the summer holidays. this is our first visit there, and are realy excited! we have did a DIY holiday and booked flights into Tunis airport. how much would a taxi be for 2 adults, 2 kids from tunis airport- albatros hotel (5 miles out of Hammamet) we have been told about 60TND with haggling but thats from last year.

brad,abbie :D
hello brad, abbie :wave
go for 55 dinar this time, no more than 65 :)
we are going to tunisia in july and we booked our transfers to the hotel through the company we booked our holiday through they said it was £6.50 each does that sound about right as everybody seems to be paying alot more please let me know someone thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.