Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Re: Akyaka Help.
89 Posts
Hi Ellie_Meg and Fionay.

Assuming these links work, this is the Feron Otel (or is it the Efron otel?) in 2008:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3442750046_a2b2fc1173_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3441931087_7c45ef0ac6_o.jpg

On the subject of dogs, we saw a couple wandering around Akyaka last year but they certainly didn't seem to be a problem.

Cheers.
thats the place i was talking about when i said ice cream and waffle restaurant, the photo if of the ice cream man , didnt realise it was a hotel too lol
oh dear I must be getting old still cant recognise the feron in relation to where the Kazan was. though I do regognise the ice cream guy I thought the ice cream place was closer to the bottom of the hill nearer the kosem
across the road from kazan on the corner it is and he makes waffles too, my daughter loved his waffles thats how i know and he used to play tricks on her with an ice cream cone etc lol he used to try and persuade us to have a meal there and offer discount but it didnt look very appertising so we didnt bother, it was more pizzas and restaurant didnt look that nice inside . be interesting to see what they have done to it, if they have taken their menu with them rather than his limited menu, im wondering why they have done this, as they had a good business there :think
i used to love the krystal too and ismet then moved to the beach area in a caravan type cafe, but he said hes doing more business there , despite only selling snacks, shame cos hes casseroles were to die for :duh , but he was out the way at the top there
thanks everyone for your reassurance on the "dog front", i had a feeling the reviews i read were a slight exaggaration. xx
Hi there

We are <--> this close to booking for Akyaka this year. We are looking to stay in either the Tomsan or Okaliptus Apartments. Can anyone tell me how far to the centre/beach they are and are there any shops nearby (mainly ones that sell fresh bread for breakfast?)

Also are there other nearby beaches?

Thanks
We were staying in the Okaliptus apartments a couple of weeks ago (2nd time there) Really lovely apartments they are about 5 minutes from the nearest supermarket and shops at the bottom of the village and its another 2-3 minutes to the beach. You dont have to go out each morning to buy bread though As Muammer has bread delivered to the bar area of the apartments and you just help yourself to a loaf each morning (you pay for what you took at the end of your stay I think it was about 20p a loaf) You can also run a tab at the bar for any drinks and snacks you have and then pay all together if you want Our son used to pop out of our ground floor apartment each morning to collect the bread from the bar. So much easier than trailing to the shops! I wouldnt hesitate in recommending the Okaliptus (I think the tomsan villas may be slighly older but have never seen inside . The pool at the Okaliptus is really lovely too.
my friend stayed at 1 of the villas last year, and although it was gorgeous inside, very big and this was the dearest villa he had, think he lives in it now so no longer rents this one out , they are not villas as we know it they are called villas but are apts, so not sure why he chooses to call them villas a bit deceiving. we had a look at a few of them and some near the pool were large but furniture is a bit basic, these villas are large apts as you do have others above or below you or adjoining you, they are in a quieter location away from the main town and beach, our apt is very near them , the beach is a good 10-12 mins walk down hill unless you walk fast lol, but in the heat it feels a long way coming back up the hill lol, so if you have any walking disabilities or like us a young child that gets too tired we hire a taxi lol

there is another cove with a pebbly beach which is a long walk or taxi drive, it looks nice on photos but i havent been there yet, we are going to try next mth, as akyaka beach in the height of the season gets very busy

akyaka is really lovely, very scenic and has a lovely sandy beach
Oooh thanks Ellie and Fionay - that sounds great - thank you

We are used to either a basic hotel or apartment; as long as it is clean that's all that matters.

We stayed in Kalkan a couple of years ago at the Paper Moon which is half way up the very steep hill to Kalamar so walking is not an issue for us!!

Also I know you can't get away from the mountains but last year we stayed in Turunc which was lovely but apart from getting water taxis, I felt very isolated as I couldn't face the journey back up the mountain on a dolmus... are there places to get to by dolmus or is it all taxis and are the mountain roads anything like the one into Turunc? I just about coped with the journey from Olu to Fethiye but the Turunc road was a step too far for me :)
hi

the journey to akyaka is fine infact the road from dalaman to akyaka is very straight and flat about 50 mins, can you remember when you went to turunc there was a set of traffic lights where you turn left, about 50 mins from dalaman towards marmaris if so ,thats where akyaka is, from here down to akyaka is a slope of about 1 mile and thats it, so compared to turunc its easy. ive also been to turunc and in my opinion akyaka has a much nicer beach and is more scenic, a bit smaller resort. you can get dolmuses to marmaris for a day out which is 20 miles away or to mugla , mugla is a university town . there are organised trips to various places like dalyan etc, but we havent ventured out mjuch from akyaka as we love it so much, we are going in 3 weeks and are determined this time to hire a car to see a bit more of the surrounding areas :tup

mrs gannet i know you will love akyaka
Mr Gannet remembers the turn off - all I remember is worrying about the mountain roads!! It sounds like I won't have too much of a problem this year.

I doubt we will go into Marmaris, we went through it going and coming back from Turunc and that was enough ;)

Mugla sounds good so we may venture out on a day trip there but for the most part our holiday will be chilling out either by the pool or on the beach maybe a bit of walking if we feel so inclined :)

I think we will book tomorrow if the flights are still available.

Thank you so much for your help.
definitely no steep mountain roads to worry about like turunc or olu deniz, ive been to both these places, the only slight steep bit is going through akyaka from the main road and as its the centre of akyaka you dont really notice, if you ask the driver to turn right where these lights are next to some shops and go along a small road that even avoids the steep road down and brings you out along the riverside , this is lovely to walk along too and there are more restaurants along there, some are really cute with tables in the stream or on little islands. let me know if you book it,when are you thinking of going
Flights and apartment are booked - we fly out on 4th September and I can't wait.

Thanks again for all your help

:cheers
thats great news have you booked the okaliptus apts, if you want any more help re akyaka let me know

karen
It's either the Okaliptus or the Tomsan... not sure which until we get confirmation back but they both look nice so am not really bothered.

If I can think of anything we need to know, I'll give you a shout :)
Need some help please! We are in Akyaka at present :-) but are having some issues changing travellers cheques. Does anyone know the best place in Akyaka? We got stung with a high commission charge at the property rental place. Is there somewhere in Mugla as we really don't want to go to Marmaris? Thanks
Hi Gannet, Sorry to see no replies to your problem. We will be there tomorrow. Did you get any success with your trav/chs. The rate seems to change between 2.30L/ 2.50L.
We allways take cash/ trav/chs. 50-50. and a d/card for emergencies.
We are staying at the Yucelen hotel, it looks quite a large hotel, I expect to get a fair rate for my trav/chs there. :wave:
ive never taken tchq so i cant help but i do know the rate isnt usually as good, also akyaka is a small resort so therefore you dont have a lot of places to change money, there is 1 exchange place near the beach area. we used the machines as i have a flexi account which is free and gives a good rate and cash we found this the best way in akyaka. as its not a big tourist place its not really geared up for exchanging money , most restaurants took sterling but some at not such a good rate.

we went to mugla briefly but didnt look for exchange offices so i cant help you there either, but i hope youre enjoying your holiday as we love akyaka
Just phoned the Yucelen Hotel. They do change Trav/Chcs. the girls english
wasnt too clever, dont know what rate they offer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.