Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Derwntrocker, hope you had a fab time ! we are going to the riu yucatan in august, just after the refurb, any top tips for our stay in the hotel ?
Hi thanks for those tips I am going to Meixco in June not the same place, but the money issue has come up several times with conflicting advise, so by all accounts it's just as well to take only peso's. Did you go with a TO, the reason I ask I have ususally paid for trips with debit card assume will be able to do that too.

Many thanks
yes miss pink we went with thomson, i would not ever buy their trips, they are cheaper from maya tours in the plaza
Juby 5

I have written a review on here , so when its passed, hopefully all your questions will be answered. If not, please ask me, i will be glad to help you, Warning though, my review is very in depth ha ha
Miss pink, sorry forgot to add, not sure about debit cards, i think you can, some shops on fifth avenue in pdc do not except credit cards. Hotels do not except dollars due to federal law. Other than that they are not bothered what currency you pay in, they ask you at the till.
Looking forward to reading your review ! I love an ' in depth' one too !!
Welcome back DR have kept up with your photo's on FB and lovely they were too :tup
Just read your review on trip advisor derwntrocker, fantastic report, very helpfull and detailed, have jotted down some of your suggestions, thanks so much, proper excited !! Now its countdown for august and a guessing game as to whether the dreamliner will take us or not !!
Thanks for that Derwentrocker, Yes Thomson trips do tend to be a bit more expensive than buying locally, but as I travel alone, I do feel a bit more comfortable buying from them, I wouldn't use debit card other than for trips not in shops etc.

Edit: misunderstood and was going to read your review, but not posted yet will look at when posted
Thanks for liking my report, i get told i go on and on, but to be honest was fed up with the samey report time after time, and want to change it up a bit.

I am soooo envious i want to go back, the hotel Tequila is very similar, but imo think staff are a lot happier in the yucatan.

If you try the shots and cocktails see Fernado at the lobby bar, fabulous and mixes them properly.
The shots we had were Mexican flags, tequila bom boms fab lol and the strawberry mama, that one is lovely and refreshing cocktails. By the end of the holiday you will go through the list. You can get premium drinks as well. In 5th ave get a bucket of beer and nachos, very very cheap. You will get hassle on 5th avenue inbetween the designer shops and the tac shops, but walk in the middle, or tag onto someone. Supermarkets for gifts are good in the already priced supermarkets, no hassle in there ! HAVING BEEN TO egypt loads of times, it is not as bad as that, but unfortunately they want you to spend.

Coco bongos we didnt go to, its small, crammed in. It is a brick building but all wood inside (friends went). The drinks are thick and although they liked the show, they did not like sharing one toilet with men ! You are totally squashed as well. The one in Cancun is huge with more fire exits. From 5th ave is a bus terminal, you can catch a bus to Cancun and looked around other riu hotels. Or catch the ferry near senior frogs over to cozumel.

If you are lucky at the Riu Yucatan ypu will get a "white" beach party..... it is a great show. So take white. Wont tell you what happens :)
When will my report appear Moderators, thank you x

Sorry Michelle we mods have nothing to do with reviews that is all done by the new owners and I can't tell you when it will be approved althought I did think it would have been done by now :que

Ask Lisa who deals with that side and she will look in to it and get back to you http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/review-site-t156469-60.html
know its probably wrong place to post this but know people using this forum are quick to reply
we travel with thomson`s to Mexico in a few weeks time and are worried about type of currency to take , always been to Dom Republic before and used USA dollars as well as the local currency , but heard that Dollars arent accepted in Mexico as much these days specially in shops and for tipping etc . thanks for any help xx

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Take pesos, a small amount of US dollars is ok- order$1 bills for tipping, a lot of places accept US dollars still but sometimes they will add a little extra, historically it was always 10 to 1 exchange rate, now it can be higher.
If you've already got some USD left over from another trip I would take them and use them for tipping. If you've got to change your money you may as well change it to the currency of the country.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.