Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
What hotel was it? It would be nice to be able to avoid this one.
Killingworth castle inn, in Oxfordshire near Woodstock. Mods feel free to remove that info if you like. Their rooms look nice on the website and weren't the ones we stayed in. Also says they have showers on the website but I was told yesterday that supplying a working shower wasn't in the contract.
Hi Jame,

My word what an eye opening story. We go abroad and condemn nations and races because of bad holiday experiences, whilst ignoring or not being aware of, how awful our own country is.

We've no proper hotel rating system, and Fawlty Towers and worse is not fiction, it's reality.

Even worse, we tend to book privately and don't have the Package Holiday Regulations to protect us.

Don't know what to suggest, but I thought I'd express a little support at the very least.

Peter
They advertise 'all with fully en suite facilities'. That includes a working shower IMO.
You sure it wasn't fawlty towers that you stayed in?
If this hotel has any sort of tourist board rating you should write to them and list all your complaints. They are due a visit and a review of their category I reckon!

If not, well you didn't end up paying and will have to chalk it down to experience.

Unbelievable attitude by the owners though!
Whilst I have some sympathy with your experience as I read your posting, you left without paying. Is that correct?

fwh
I would have done the same .
Good for you.
If they have your contact details they will get in touch.
Dont think i would pay the full amount for the one night if it was that bad.
Thanks for the support. We did leave with out paying. We offered several times to pay for the night but were told to pay the full cost of both rooms for both nights. They wanted to charge us £75 for one room and £85 for the other and to count ourselves lucky we weren't being charge the full rate of £95. Since doing some research it seems they were trying to charge us more than their website states. Also they don't seem to have a cancellation policy stated on their site. We have also found several other unhappy customers.

We've calmed down now. Wasted weekend and as someone said to put it down to bad experience. If they catch up, my partner works in law although in personal injury, I'm sure one of the other solictors will write letters if need be.
What I'm about to suggest cannot be construed to be legally accurate - I'm not a lawyer in any respect.

I believe that if you visit a restaurant and the dining experience is not what you are happy with you are at liberty to refrain from paying but you MUST provide the restaurant with your name and address. The restaurant may then sue you for the mmoney in a court of law should they feel they can justify themselves.

I'm uncertain if this same facility exists with a hotel - but it might. I presume that the hotel has your name and address details - if not, you might be best advised to provide such to the hotel in a letter explaining why you did not tender payment at the time of your dismissal from the hotel.

Turning to the second night's charge. Just because you gave notice of intent to cancel the second night after the required room vacation time of 11:00am seems to be irrelevant to me (my opinion only). There clearly comes a time when giving such notice could be considered too late but I'd class that to be 15:00 at the earliest, 18:00 at the latest.

Next, did you secure your booking with a credit card? If so, you might find the hotel have simply charged your card with the total cost. As such a transaction would clearly be in excess of £100 you could take the matter up with the credit card company as they are equally liable for the misdemeanours of their merchants. Section 75 of the consumer credit act covers you on this one. I'd have thought the whole sum could be "frozen" pending agreement between yourselves and the hotel. Cite the failure to provide services (shower) as described in the web-site - this appears to me to be a breach of contract.

Let us know the outcome.

Mike
For what it's worth - have been following your messages since post 1 - am concerned that you left without paying anything at all. If I were you I would find out what a night is worth via the web site and any other costs you ran up and then send a cheque - you can claim it back after. Just be very careful and cover your back - you don't want to be charged with legging it without paying --- its your word against theirs.

If I were you, do the legal thing, pay your bit and you can always claim it back ----- from an outsiders point of view you could be someone who has had a free night etc and just gone without paying ----------------

Just take care ----------

PS Have stayed at many hotels etc in the UK and NEVER had this problem - next time use the review sites :wink: If you want to send a PM we can recommend plenty!

Good luck

:wink:
My eldest son sold his last November. Not long before he rang me and asked if I would go over.

Someone had booked in for a week. He thought he recalled this guy from 4 years earlier - he did a runner.

He also contacted his old partner and when the guy came in he saw us and tried to run. Yes it was the same guy.

If you leave without paying and not giving details then it suggests that you had no intention of paying. At least that is what your posting says to me.

To quote you "The ONLY details they have of us is our car registration numbers."

You deserve to be prosecuted.

fwh
Hi, sorry this is a PS to the post above - have just reread your post. We have stayed at a number of hotels and have sometimes busted a gut to leave by the check out time --- we know that if you check out late then you have to pay a penalty. You did check out late ---- this may mean that you are actually liable to pay -------------- whatever it says

Am just concerned that if you challenge these people you are actually, legally, in the right ---- if you get my drift. You have to look at it from an outsiders point of view - if the hotel was that rubbish why have a second breakfast ??? Any sign of cobwebs and creepy crawlies would send me packing immediately ---

Am NOT saying I agree but you have to look at it from both sides

Just make sure that you KNOW that you are in the right before you challenge them!

Let us know how it goes -----

:?
As stated in previous post why have a second breakfast, maybe I missed something I don't recollect any mention of a second breakfast.
The way I understand the origional post James 5 offered to pay for one night which the owner refused to accept. He and his friends were then kicked out of the hotel. I feel he is only obligated to pay for one night and Presto's advice to send a cheque is correct. I would also send a cover letter giving reasons for early departure ie. dirt, shower not working and also inform the tourist office in Woodstock about the state of the hotel.
I feel that fwh stating that James should be prosecuted for leaving without paying is over the top. James had been kicked out of the hotel, what was he supposed to do force his way back in to hand over money.
I'm afraid there are quite a few hotels in the UK that offer really bad standards of cleanliness and service. Until retirement I worked in the Leisure Industry and have heard similar stories from visitors from abroad.
Hi Judith

Apologies if the reference to the 2nd breakfast is wrong - have just reread it all - my misunderstanding. :wink: I think as I skim read it the fact that they'd checked out at 12 noon made me think they'd had breakfast - opps. Even so, if you check out late there are problems -------- breakfast or no breakfast.

Seriously though. am only concerned that they cover their backs and make sure that they are 'legal' - if the hotel owners weren't !

:wink:
Hi Presto
I agree with what you say, it's never a good idea to leave without paying and finding a way i.e. sending a cheque seems to be the best way to cover their backs.
I feel that fwh stating that James should be prosecuted for leaving without paying is over the top.

Why? He has stated that they left without giving their details. And boasts about it by saying all they got were our car registrations. That is f.r.a.u.d just the same way as if you gave a false name and address. By booking in then he has entered into a contract. The argument is did the hotel default on the contract.

If he had said here is my name and address - sue me for it then it would be different. He would be saying in effect, I am disputing the bill, you have not supplied the goods/services that you were contracted to do. I am prepared to defend this legally.

fwh
Hi i wouldn take any notice of fwh and the latter posts.
Although they are entitled to their views.
I dont think in any way you had the intention of not paying and dont see any reason to be charged for the two nights, when you only stayed one.
If their place is that bad they wont last long .
This could be a tricky legal situation. I believe THIS to be an accurate statement as to the law. There is a danger that the tables could be turned on James5 if the hotelier reports the matter to the police, or traces him independently through his vehicle registration number and institutes private legal proceedings.

Overall I think it would be prudent for James5 to supply the hotelier with his name and address order to cover himself legally against allegations of dishonesty. It's the old adage - two wrongs don't make a right, and it could bounce right back in Jame5's face.

Taking the advice of fellow posters is all well and good, but it can't be cited in a court of law as your defence if it's wrong!

Does Ros Fernihough advise on cases like this, please?

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.