Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Sooze, whoever posted on that inferior website that a large beer would cost £2.50 anywhere in Malta is having a laugh, also Bugibba / Qawra has more bars and places to eat than you can shake a stick at, must admit that area is not our cup of tea really as we much prefer the Sliema / St Julians area, but I'm pretty certain that someone on here will give you the complete lowdown on Bugibba.

Regards
Sliema2
I haven't been to Sliema only passing through 16 years ago and it was quite busy. We are planning to go last two weeks in May, what is Sliema/St Julians like, where could yuo recommend?
Well I'm bias, but Sliema and St Julians are very nice with lots of good bars and restaurant and are deffinitely more up market than Bugibba/Qawra which does seem to attract the sun reading, union jack waving, lots of gold jewellry and burbery cap wearing, egg and chip munchers, don't get me wrong it's ok if you like that kind of thing but it's not for us.

Sliema especially is much nicer and pleasantly sedate, whereby St Julians is still nice but with much more nightlife in the Paceville area, you ask me what I would reccomend I'm presuming by this that you mean accomodation wise, if so check out http://www.chevron.co.uk for a good choice of hotels at very reasonable prices, our favourites in the Sliema area are The Plaza, The Preluna, The Imperial, The Galaxy, and The New Tower Palace, and we are going to be using the Marina in November, however we don't use hotels that much these days as we use a friends appartment in Sliema, but if we did then these would be the places that I would be looking at, hope this has helped.

Sliema2
I'm not really a burberry person and my other half, well I won't be rude but he would not be very happy. We prefer something a little nicer.

So what are the prices like in Sliema then for a large beer, glass of wine or meal?

Do you think last two weeks in May is a good time. We don't want to be cold but we don't want to bake either.
Hi Sooze29 , I was in Malta this year from 6 May - 21 June and the weather towards the end of May was hot but not baking. I had my parents(75 & 80) with me until 24 May and they suffer in heat but had no problems while there. I am not exact, but would estimate the temp as late 70s.

I dont know of any accomodation in other areas, but would personally prefer Sliema over Bugibba.

We have a place in Marsaxlokk and my friend has apartments above his restaurant overlooking the sea front.
http://www.duncanguesthouse.com.

It may be too quiet at the bottom of the island for you, Im not sure what you like, but its an option anyway. Hope it all works out xxxxxxxxx
Hi Sooze,

Basically a pint of beer in a bar around a resort area such as bugibba and Sliema would be in the region of Lm0.80cents approx £1.40Stg in a night club or hotel bar you would expect to pay aroundLm1.20 £2.00Stg. the difference is mainly due to the additional overheads of providing entertainment. Food costs vary from a Burger and Chips from as cheap at Lm2.50 up to Lm7.00 depending on the quality of the restaurant. Fresh fish expect to pay around Lm5.00 - Lm 9.00 again depending on the restaurant and type of fish you choose. Overall eating in Malta - Whichever area yuou go to be it Bugibba Sliema, Mellieha, Marsaxlokk etc prices will be pretty much the same. Rememebr nightclubs and bars in the centre of the entertainment areas will be more expensive. Should you wish some direct information about the Bugibba Holidsy Complex you can e-mail me directly at tzahra@islandhotels.com since I am directly involved with the hotel.

Hope this helps
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.