Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
ive just spent a week on half board the hotel is clean. breakfast consisted of sausage,beans,scrambled eggs, hash browns. with the exeption of 2 days which bacon was served. although it is buffet style you cannot serve yourself. evening meal was varried best of all is the soup?
smoking was banned in the bar on the 4/01/05 but the bar was losing so much money they put a smoking area in the bar on the 7/01/05. i agree no smoking in resturants but in bars it should be allowed
we live in a democrocy not a dictatorship forgive spelling most bars have a smoking ban but one landlord said they have got so manny things to do to get in eu this was one of them and said everyone would be smoking in 6 months as normal
prices in bars vary but we was paying £3 for a bacadi and coke and malibu and coke no large mesures here
ciggarettes superkings £28 for 200 bacca £3.80 for 50grams
hope this helps smoking is allowed in the airport departures smoking room
Hi Sapper, you are quite right when you say that we live in a democracy, democracy of course entitles people to freedom, one thing us non-smokers enjoy and deserve freedom from is inhaling other peoples disgusting smoke, us not smoking does not affect a smokers health, but smoke off smokers can greatley affect our health, seems a little one sided don't you think, glad you had a good time in Malta.

Sliema2
I would like to add my two p's worth to this about bars and smoking,, it would not be so bad if the bar owners in Malta put some extracter fans in place to take the smoke away as most of the bars here seem to be just one room type places ether full of smoke, or outside areas were it does not matter so much. I think they should have waited till the summer and no one would have noticed.
None smoking, car driving, Dave
Can i just ask for clarifiCation re the smoking ban? as a reformed smoker myself i Can see both sides of the argument, but surely in the summer bar customers will be able to sit outside at the pavement tables and enjoy their cigarettes? the ban is just imposable within the bar premises surely? not outside? so nobody loses then.
Hi sapper, almost a good point well made, but no I am very happy to say that I don't have a car, I don't need one and have no desire whatsoever to own one, However if I did, then your point would of course be valid.
ciao for now.

Regards from
Sliema2
  • Edited by Sliema2 2005-01-13 19:10:34
Hi linnyann, the only problem with all the smokers going outside to smoke in summer is that all of us non-smokers who enjoy a pint sitting outside a bar overlooking for example Marsamxetto harbour in Sliema, will now have our summer evenings spoilt by vast plumes of vile smoke billowing around everywhere, because in my opinion tobbaco smoke smells equally foul outdoors, so we can't win really can we ?, I think it should be banned in all public places either inside or outside as they have done in parts of Australia and the USA, oh well I suppose we can all live in hope.

Ciao for now
Sliema2
This post gets better by the day, as you say Sliema2 if all the smokers who are out side and they are banned from having a smoke that would be fine but what about all the smoke and fumes from the cars and old busses in the summer that can be a lot worse than a few people having a fag.

Dave

P S. was there ever a Sliema1 ?
P P S. I think they should ban everything
VAST PLUMES of smoke BILLOWING everywhere ?????

What on earth do they smoke in Malta??
Del
Hi del949, I felt the overwhelming urge to excercise a bit of poetic licence. :wink:
Hi guys,
Were were going to be staying here for two weeks this August as Skytours All Inclusive guests. But after reading some of the horror stories in the hotel reviews we are thinking of cancelling this holiday and going to our usual Malta Hotel the Topaz. Can anyone tell me if this hotel is as bad as some of the reviews say?.
Im realy worried, as I have already cancelled next years holiday that was going to be in Egypt, and rebooked a different hotel after reading the poor reviews the hotel was getting.
Please help.
Steve.
:?:
Sorry to bring bad news but....

I was in Malta last year staying at the Grand mercure and we got talking to loads of people who said that it was so bad they had demanded a transfer to our hotel.

I read a mixture of reviews about the place and to be honest it just seems to be luck of the draw.
Hi I stayed at its sister hotel the 4* Coastline at the last new year and the courtesy bus to Bugibba used to drop you of outside the B H C and one day we hade a look inside and thought we would not like to stay here, its foyer looks more like a 2* and it had a funny smell a bit like an (old peoples home) but cannot comment on the rest of the hotel.

Dave
To Steve, i hope i'm in time to tell you that it's all wrong about buggiba holiday complex, i have just come back from there and i had a wail of a time, the rooms may be a little basic but who cares, you're not going to be in it most of the day anyway's. The entertainment on the night is fantastic and the bar staff are the friendliest of the lot, the food is bon appetite, i cant wait to go back in 3 months time because i loved it so much.
Thanks, hope you take my advice from cocktail_drinker
Hi Cocktail_drinker.
Thank you for your reply to my thread, it was very re-asuring.
We actualy travel in less than 2 weeks time.
Steve.
:D
check your PM Master Chipper
I have stayed there twice and will be there on the 14th of August for a third time as an AI guest I would not go 3 times if if was that bad!

Ok it is tired so it does needs redecorating and some rooms are a little small But the food is very good the AI is great value and there not stingy, great pizzas every day for lunch if you want too also great staff and although in need of a coat of paint etc it is kept well clean! not the most Luxurious but great value. You could get alot better but you can also pay alot more, some people expect too much and whinge when they should just pay up if they want 5 star. I would'nt worry to much :)
Might even be there when your there?
Steve,
Both Cocktail_drinker and Wolfie have given realistic reports of the BHC. It is a good value 3 star hotel.
As I have mentioned in another thread, various groups of my family have been happy to stay at BHC on 6 occasions. My sister and her daughters will also be staying there on the 16th of next month.
The rooms are of a simalar standard as a Travelodge in the UK. As Cocktail_drinker so correctly points out - you're not going to be in it most of the day anyway.
I have always enjoyed the food, especially the pizzas, when I have eaten there.
Every hotel has good and bad reviews, fact of life, some I suspect are not exactly telling the truth. Have a look at the two conflicting opinions for the BHC for 05 2004:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/malta/bugibba/bugibba-holiday-complex-hotel/
As a resident, I remember I found the comment in the last paragraph of the"Very upset holiday maker" review very hard to believe at the time,"While we were there, there were four murders in the area" because these were not reported on the local T.V or in the press :shrug Is this Buggibba or Baghdad we are talking about :?:
I wish people who have nothing constructive to report would not resort to slanderous remarks and just :zip
Steve, Wolfie and Cocktail_drinker - hope you all enjoy your holidays as much as I am sure my sister and her girls will next month. :glynis
Hi Guys,
Well we are only a few hours away now from leaving for the airport.
We have had some concerns, but now are quite looking forward to going.
Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and many thanks to the guys who sent PM's to me.
Steve.
:D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.