Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
dogs in goa
50 Posts
I'm not sure which was worse for keeping me awake, the dogs/crows or my old man snoring.
and don't forget the pigeons!
del
Dogs not a problem but the cows....well...

We were returning to the Prazeres one night very late and just as we pulled up in the jeep all the lights went out.

My mate Justin had just got out of the jeep and was walking across the road to see if Johnny was still awake (Johnny's Corner).

Anyway when the lights went out it spooked a herd of cows, maybe 12 or 15 of them, that were hanging around by the bridge and they stampeded (its theonly way I can describe it) up the road.

The lights came backon and there was Justin hiding behind a Tut Tut, covered in, well you know what.

Probably quite dangerous but the funniest thing I have seen in years.
:o we didnt find the dogs a problem,the son jamie stroked all i think and they was fine.cows we couldnt get over,just walking along the road..we even fed them bananas!!skin and all
most of them are harmless but yes at night they do get together in packs and can be quite scary.. if you are walking somewhere quiet or dark take a stick with you.. its true the best thing is not to show fear and yes, talking to them sometimes can help.

I volunteered for months at IAR based in Goa and they had some right sights in there.. only a few you could not go near as the only reason for this is because they have never known affection and are just looking after themself.. most dogs in there had been beaten and were pretty scared of you..

I miss them miss them SO much.. cant wait to go back in a few weeks time to have them guard my sunbed and keep all those :swear away who just want to oggle and take photos of you! they are brilliant guard dogs and def know a local from a tourist! they will chase them away.

soooo funny.
I love dogs too but remember the earlier posts, rabies is endemic in Goa and it was only at the end of last season that a british tourist died on her return to the u.k. following a scratch from a puppy in Goa I'm also not sure about people who take on dogs whilst in Goa and then abandon them when the season is over. A lot of those dogs, you just have to look at them and they will follow you for miles, obviously someone has been looking after them and then left at the end of their stay, leaving behind one sad and confused dog Alan
we have our dog rani home now(the one we rescued from goa),shes settling in really well,gets on with our other dog scraps (well most of the time),shes still nervous and scared when she sees anyone new but is getting better day by day,
seeing her asleep on our bed makes all the hassle we went through to get her home worth it
i will post the link to the papers that rang the story so you can see her picture
xxx
The dogs which hung around the beach shacks on Baga beach were by and large happy and placid. They would sniff around but never get too close for too long as they were spoiled for company.

Indeed, a family next to us brought flea powder with them and gave the regulars (dogs that is) a good dusting.
never really had a problem before as the dogs appear quite placid. However November we stayed at tthe Aldeia Bello and were coming home one night and as we walked into the forecourt one of the dogs that appeared to live there attacked my daughter. She was just walking along beside me at the time. Fortunately I managed to hit it with my bag before it broke skin or scrathched her. The experience terified her (and me)

Edited to remove potentially libelous comments
Fiona ht mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.