Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Polly,

On the 17th November, I e-mailed Monarch to ask why proof was required.

The response was that on all Goa flights the check-in staff will ask for proof of accommodation because it is a legal requirement as part of the licensing laws for all of these particular flights.

I e-mailed them back to say that in all the years I have been flying to Goa from Gatwick, I have never been asked for proof no matter who the carrier was.

Their response was that Monarch takes their advice directly from the indian authorities and that all check in staff in both airports should be asking for proof. They finished off by saying that it is always advisable to contact the relevant airline to check whether proof would be required.

I don't know about you, but I have never been asked to provide proof of accommodation when I have arrived at Dabolim either, have you?

Sydney.
Hmm, glad you asked monarch about this stupid policy. I think its making more people get packaged holidays, rather than face the hassle at manchester airport about accomodation.
I was going to get a cheap flight from mytravel, and then sort out my own accomodation on arrival, but because of this i think its a safer option to get a packaged holiday :(
The whole idea of these "dormhouse" deals was exactly to satisfy the requirements? Nobody stays in these places do they?

As has been said already...just send an email to yourself saying "booking confirmation" from wherever. How many places send accomodation vouchers when you book online? Not even the Marriott does that.
Hey....thats a good idea. Go onto Marriott, reserve a room, print the reservation than cancel it rightaway.
It really doesnt matter what your accommodation voucher looks like.....there is no standard format for them. They are never scrutinized in detail. Just make your own !! As said before, we have done this a few times and never had a problem.
Totally agree Towpal, the airline staff would not have a clue if it was genuine or not, on the subject of Monarch, we came home Sunday, our TV was missing on the plane (presumed dead ? ) and we were offered complimentary headphones :? and one free drink ! very generous of them for a 10 hour flight and guess what our first meal was?
Yes right CURRY chicken & rice :rofl
must say it was nice though,
allan.
Allanmarian
Monarch Airlines really are the bottom line :bhead
I swore after going with First Choice that we would never use them again. Then we went scheduled in September (28 hours in total with waits etc).
All of a sudden Monarch are looking attractive again :wink:
ive flown with mytravel from gatwick and manchester.the only time ive been asked for confirmation was infact at gatwick and that was feb this year
We were asked for confirmation of accomodation in Feb this year at Manchester at the Monarch day. This time (Nov 06) we flew from Manchester again but with Thomsons and nothing mentioned about accomodation. Do they normally only question people if they are on a flight only?
Sydney
We've never been asked for proof of accommodation at Dabolim, either.

It's interesting to hear the response you got from Monarch, because the only time we've ever been asked was at Manchester flying with Monarch.
Monarch from Gatwick? No

However, from what Ron says (MyTravel asked him at Gatwick), it seems that no airline or airport has a 'policy' - except, of course, to try to confuse the hell out of everybody. :hmmm

I just hope more people become aware of the possibility of being asked to prove that you've booked accommodation, regardless of which airport you're flying from and which airline you're flying with, so that nobody risks being denied boarding.

Polly
none the less it is and always has been law that you have to have accommodation prebooked prior to flying charter to Goa, there used to be no 'flight only's' for that reason until the charters got round it with the one night dorm house idea, of course until now it has never been enforced, i wonder if they are trying to do so now BECAUSE of the many flight only people going?? either way we have never beenn asked either :D
chilly
I find all this very confusing there must be a special law for Brit Charter Airlines. I have flown with Condor many times from Munich to Goa and the only thing i have been asked for is proof of a valid Visa.
I believe Condor is the German equivilent of a charter flight,so whats the difference

ps i book the tickets direct with Condor
I suppose basically its just an existing law that has never been enforced!!!?? till now when some jobsworth has decided to follow iy through!! your guess is as good
chilly
hi, travelling out in jan for a month but have flights to mumbai (well pick up a connection from there) does anybody know if well still need proof of accomodation doing it this way???

thanks in advance :wink:
I don`t know about doing it via Mumbai but my friend who got back on Saturday says a lot of people were turned away on his Monarch flight from Manchester as they didn`t have acommodation vouchers... so be warned :?
If you're flying scheduled via Mumbia you don't need them. Why is it only Manchester that seems to be doing this, I've never been asked at Gatwick? :?:
If you are travelling on a scheduled flight as opposed to a charter you will not need proof of accomodation.
ah , i see,

so charter to goa needs a voucher, scheduled to mumbai doesn't

thanks for your help

incidently, ive just phoned my vacations. co.uk and they said that as far as their aware there is NO law stipulating that you need a voucher anywhere.

left hand............ right hand .................... :bhead
All very strange this voucher and charter flight thing,why does it only apply to British flights and not all of them . It must be a scam of some sort to get people to pay out for accomodation they dont need, by the travel companies
I just cant believe they turned people away and wouldnt let them fly!!!!!!!!!! :( !!!!!!that is crazy :evil: and must have been awful for those poor people all geared up and looking forward to it, :? :( unbelievable, and what about if people are coming out and staying with family living here like us!? :?: are we supposed to give them a voucher, ridiculous isnt ti really especially as the flights are being sold openly without accommodation i am sure there must be a claim there somewhere if travel company didnt advise of this when selling the tickets??? :?:
chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.