Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
beermat,

As per Nivsy, it is a Dash-8 Q402 after all. The Emb 195 is on the earlier flight.

Darren
beermat,

I don't have an photo's of Flybe Emb 195's as we don't see them in Manchester very often, but I have a few of Finnair's 170/190's (The 195 series is a stretch of the 170).

Darren
Flybe steps in to maintain Gatwick-Newcastle service

Flybe is to maintain an air link between Gatwick and Newcastle.

The airline is to fly three times a day on weekdays from March 30

The move follows Jet2.com announcing it will cease flying between Newcastle and Gatwick on March 29. Passengers booked on this service from March 30 can transfer to Flybe at no additional cost, the airline said.

Flybe's fares start at £21.99 one way including taxes and charges.

The airline is also to start Newcastle-Aberdeen flights six days a week from March 30 and is to serve Rennes in France with a weekly summer service from the North East from May 24.

Referring to the Gatwick connection, Flybe chief commercial officer Mike Rutter said: "We recognise the strategic importance of this key route to the capital and are pleased to be in a position to step in and maintain this lifeline service for the people of Newcastle and the North East.

"Indeed, we purchased these Gatwick slots in the teeth of opposition from other carriers who wanted to use those slots to serve European destinations, not Newcastle."

With permission from Travelmole
Hi there, looking to visit Cardiff for a weekend in June (British Speedway GP) from Middlesbrough area keeping our expenditure as low as possible. Likeliest scenario at the moment is to train doen on Friday lunchtime for approx £18 each but as the train back on Sunday would cost us at least £88 :really I have looked at Flybe's flight from Cardiff to Newcastle for approx. £50 and the train from Newcastle home which would cost approximately £10 (inc Metro from the airport).

Is the 12:45 flight Cardiff to Newcastle a prop flight? Only had one of them recently (an internal flight in Egypt in a 24 seater which was a bit hairy - and the weather was fine!).

Also noticed as someone else has mentioned that in trying to book for four the price goes up by £12 each? Will I be able to book 2x2 at the cheaper price?

Hope to manage with minimum baggage so maximum of one bag to go in the hold will online check in be available on this flight?

Thanks for the help!
Flybe adds extra Aberdeen-Gatwick flights

Flybe is adding extra flights to its Aberdeen to London Gatwick route due to "unprecedented demand".

The increase will see an extra flight added to the Saturday and Sunday summer schedules.

Flybe chief commercial officer Mike Rutter said: "When Flybe took over this route from BA, we pledged to grow the service and these additional flights are proof of our commitment to Aberdeen."

One extra daily service on Saturday between May 3 and October 25 departs Aberdeen at 1135, arriving at Gatwick at 1315 and departing Gatwick 1415 arriving at Aberdeen at 1555.

An extra daily service on Sunday between May 4 and October 19 departs at 1150, arriving Gatwick at 1330, and departing Gatwick at 1400, arriving Aberdeen at 1540.

Fares start at £29.99 one way including taxes and charges.

With permission from Travelmole
Boothers - you forgot the cost of getting from Cardiff to the airport.

The £88 quote is almost certainly a problem caused by the way rail companies load the cheap ticket quotas in to the reservation system. Airlines sell you a ticket and then closer to the date tell you it's retimed. Rail companies don't like that because they can't contact many of the passengers, so they wait for the slots to be confirmed. Unfortunately at weekends this may only be 8-10 weeks in advance. So until then the only fares you will get quoted are those valid on any train without reservation. The last Sunday currently showing cheap fares is May 11th, I've doubt that if you wait a few weeks you'll get tickets for between £18.50 - £33.00 but can you risk it? You should also check that the journey enquiry has considered all routes and not just the fastest, ie that you're not just being quoted the cheapest ticket on the fastest route. The options are via Shrewsbury or via Birmingham (via London is possible but not likely to be cheap).
£3.00 each on the 10:36 train to Cardiff Airport :)

Thanks for the info Steve which has proved to be quite correct. Have reviewed the rail fares for the next 3 months and it can be done cheaper than I first feared. I naively thought that the earlier I bought the tickets the cheaper they would be however it does look that it will be possible to buy cheaper by booking the Cardiff leg early and the return leg at a later date. Will just have to log on every day when booking for these dates is available and buy as and when appropriate.

Didn't expect to be getting Rail tips on the Flights thread :tup
Ooh Boothers, I've learned something new from you. I live in Wales, have used Cardiff International many times and never knew there was a railway station there :que
Boothers - you were right in that the earlier you book the cheaper it is but only within the 8-12 week window when the quotas are loaded. Weekdays are usually available a bit earlier than weekends because there ar so many timetable changes at weekends due to engineering work. Tickets that don't have quotas (and therefore don't need reservations) will be shown as long as the seasons basic timetable is published.

Shirley - you haven't missed much. The station isn't at the airport, it's the old one for Rhoose village. The WAG paid for the line to be reopened to passengers and everyone decided to rename the station. There is a free shuttle bus up to the terminal. But the Cardiff Bus X91 is faster and more frequent from Central Station (and several of the central hotels) right to the terminal door.
Flybe are only showing their schedeule until October :(
I want to fly to Dusseldorf in November!
Flybe's winter schedules are now on sale.

David :wave
......and lots of new Flybe flights going to operate from Glasgow.

Nivsy
Came back from EDI yesterday on one of those Embaear things, 3 little steps up from the tarmac, duck as you get in, two seats on the left, 1 on the right, minimal storage space overhead, mega legroom, couldnt reach the seat infront and very wide seats. Very quiet as well due to the engines being at the back, one small loo at the back of the plane. Was a little bumpy especially going up, I sat in 12A so over the wing at the emergency door, during turbelence the plane I noticed tended to roll quite a bit which was a bit unnerving, but overall wasnt too bad as if you like rollercoasters!!!
Went from edinburgh to southampton with flybe and it was propellers. i didn't like it but my hubby and the rest of the family were o.k.(i hate flying at the best of times)very bumpy due to turbulence going up and was lifted out of my seat when we reached altitude. :yikes we sat behind the propellers,not nice.i think it would have been better if the weather had been sunny but it was pelting with rain.coming back from southampton it was thunder,lightning and rain(stopped due to my prayers)before i got on the plane and then a few :cheers later it was good :fly might? use flybe again :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.