Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Have a look on the hotel reviews on this site you will find some information there, it was originally known as the Alto da Colina & they have extended the complex and the new name is Holiday village Algarve. There are also quite a few forum members who have stayed here and maybe they could help you. Jayjan
Hi to all,

We are thinking of booking this hotel for 25th Sept for 2 weeks. Could someone tell me what the weather will be like this time of year please. Also, what activities are left for the children as it is near end of season.

Many thanks

Nia x ;)
Anyone local been near the Alto Da Colina recently?

Is the building work completed?
I hope so as we're going on 10th May!

There's a review on another website saying that when someone went at the end of March they were still putting foundations in to expand the original block and the new block still had a lot of work to go........... in their opinion building work would continue for a few months :(

Of course, if that were the case I'm sure FC would have been in touch with us by now! :think Mmmmm... or then again...... maybe not......

So I'd be interested to know if anyone has any news too!

Ta in advance....
Hi there.

First time poster. Going to HV Algarve on 17/05 for 2 weeks with wife, daughter and a bunch of friends with their kids.

I have been contacting First Choice for a week or so and they have very cagey about what is happening at the Holiday Village. Anyway finally got an update today. The new block will be completed by this Saturday 3rd May, but the Splash Park will not be completed. Apparently people flying out in the next week or so have been contacted and will be offered free high wire seesions for the over 6 year old kids as compensation?!

The Splash Park could be complete by the time we go out on the 17th, but not certain. If that is the case we will also be contacted. All other facilities will be available as advertised including full entertainment and restaurants, bars etc.

Not hugely re-assured to be honest, just hoping all will be O.K.

Dan
Thanks for the update Dan!

We fly out on the 10th and have had no notice about this.... as the only child going with us is 18months old I think we'll be giving the high wire a miss! Pity about the splash park but at least there should be room for us :)

Although I notice that the website has gone from having 14 rooms available on Sunday to none last night for our departure date - must have been a last minute rush!

10 days and counting.... can't wait to feel that sun :sun2

Callie.
Is this a new splash area as there was already an existing splash area in a part of the hotel that i understood was staying as it was?
I've just had a call from FC to say the Splash Pool will NOT be open when we go W/C 10th May 08. :cry

Apparently they are extending it and this work is behind schedule and this has closed the whole thing. This is rather disappointing for us as with a 2 year old and a 4 year old who love to play in the water it's a fairly big loss of facility. Not to mention the fact that the place must be somewhat of a building site still.

I've rung FC customer service 0844 800 3100 and that was a complete waste of time. I might as well have talked to the recorded message I had to listen to for half an hour before someone answered.

Most of the conversation went along the lines

ME: This is not very good with only a week to go. What are you going to do?
FC: FC do not offer compensation for loss of facilities. Please read the T&Cs.

This went round in a loop several times.

It came down to two choices.
1. Have a full refund.
2. Pick somewhere else but with no discount and no guarantees of availability (this was just not practical with a week to go)

From reading the board I see some people have been offered a free activity for the over 6's but there seems to be nothing on offer for the younger ones who will be most effected by this closure.

I'm not happy :(
Hi

Just a thought have you thought about Port Aventura, lots of water facilities there. You could swap your holiday to go there with FC instead. Just a thought :cheers

Nia x
Letter arrived this morning from FC to say Splash Park and Family Pool will not be available for when we go out on 17th May. :(
If you are going in May I hope that you all have a really good holiday and not being able to use the splash park doesn't spoil it to much.

I am not going until September and would really appreciate information on the complex on your return.

I would like to know if I need to take beach/pool towels and if anyone is staying in a kids den what the acomodation is like.

Thanks in advance.
We are staying in a kids den so I will let you know.

Regards

Dan
pool towels not need they can be hired at the reception desk
Just had a confusing conversaion with the local FC reps.

Yesterday we rang the hotel just to double check the situation with the Splash/Family pool and the work still ongoing onsite. Well it ended up a bit confusing with them saying no it's not open then yes it is then no again so we rang the local FC reps (00 351 289 590930) and they had not heard about any closure but would go and check and ring us back.

They rang back today and said that the original Splash/Family pool is still open and that the bit that is not yet open (at least until 24th May) is a whole new larger Splash/Family pool area on a different part of the site. :que

Well all we can do is turn up and see.
Just had a confusing conversaion with the local FC reps.

Yesterday we rang the hotel just to double check the situation with the Splash/Family pool and the work still ongoing onsite. Well it ended up a bit confusing with them saying no it's not open then yes it is then no again so we rang the local FC reps (00 351 289 590930) and they had not heard about any closure but would go and check and ring us back.

They rang back today and said that the original Splash/Family pool is still open and that the bit that is not yet open (at least until 24th May) is a whole new larger Splash/Family pool area on a different part of the site.

Well all we can do is turn up and see.
I got a letter from them this morning about the splash area being closed (we fly out 17th May) along with a map of the complex showing the splash area. The area on the map is between the existing pool and the football pitches so that would tally with them saying the existing splash area is still open.

I'm disapointed that there is still work taking place but i don't want to dwell on it and let it spoil our holidays.

Mind the maps a bit out of date though as it still shows a caribbean restaurant which i already had a letter about saying there wasn't going to be one!
I have received now 3 letters from first choice.First one informed me sea view had gone to partial sea view,no compensation offered.Next letter,1 of the restaurants not available,no compensation again.3rd and final letter about splash park.With one week left to go they offered me my money back.Travelling with a 4 year old going into main childrens holiday week almost impossible to get a replacment holiday.They know this that is why they sent the letter out.I have managed to contact reps there who assure me new splash park will be ready 24th May 08.They also said this should not spoil rest of holiday as all other facilities are available.I point i note if you have booked a twin room with partial sea view,i have been told you will be put up in block 2.Across the road there is a crain,they are building another hotel,hence partial sea view.I am not impressed,but again may have no option but to go.Contact No for rep in resort is 00351289540230.Also trip advisor pictures you will see crain and new block,work it out to see if you will be happy.Contact me if you need further info or find out any more.Hope this all helps.

Steve
hi all first post travelling from manchester to holiday village on 10 may. flying with first choice for first time anyone travelled with them recently? :wave: what are they like?
Hi Davy,

Flew with them last year and no problems at all either with the flight, accomodation or the company. Others dont seem to be as fortunate though. Flights on time and reps available if needed. Only gripe was our 1st morning and the rep phoned our apartment to see if we were coming down to the welcome meeting and woke our son :think

Dont usually go on a package as prefer DIY but FC were fine, no complaints.

Lummie
We have flown with First Choice on a number of occasions and had no problems.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.