Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Flying out on 14th august,for 2weeks and just wondering who else would be out there at this time. :tup hopefully all the little problems should be sorted by then :cheers
Hi,

Just back from a week at the Holiday Village - will be submitting a hotel review soon (under Alto da Colina). We had a great time but I'm sorry to say many didn't - mainly because the hotel expansion programme is not finished yet! It got better as the week went on but they've rushed into opening block 2 too soon, in my opinion.....

A couple of quick tips of you're booked to go shortly......

The new block (block 2) is on a much lower level than bock 1 and is reached by steps (with a bit of steep slope at some points) or by going out onto the pavement, up the hill then up a very steep entrance slope. If you have a buggy try to request a room in Block 1 (but they may charge extra as I think these all have sea views). As a result the pool, bar and speciality restaurants which were in block 2 were very quiet (which we liked!)

They are still finishing off block 2 - lights in the loos didn't work at the start of the week, windows were still being fitted, temporary fittings are being replaced, and doors to the stairwells still had no handles when we left.....

The interactive family splash area is still a building site, I can't see it opening any time soon, there were supports for the slides in place but no sign of the slides themselves. There is a small splash area and children's pool that was already there that is still in use though.

If you're all-inclusive you're pre-allocated early (6.30 - 7.30) or late (8-9) dinner sittings. As most of the guests have children who want to go to the kiddie disco starting at 8 the early sitting was preferred..... so if you want that sitting I'd recommend contacting the hotel direct in advance as guests had problems changing. You're also pre-allocated a date and time for each of the speciality restaurants (Italian and Portuguese) so if you have a specific preference you'd best let them know.

Think that's the key things, hopefully will get to the review later but if anyone has any specific questions please let me know!

TTFN

Callie
Hiya,just wondering if you managed to see/hear what the kids dens were like,as we have one booked for august :think

hopefully should all be sorted by then :cheers

marc
Hi,

I don't think they're finished yet :( I spoke to a family who'd booked one and they were originally put in a standard (twin) room - nothing like the description of a kids den - no kitchen and a pull-out bed making the room very cramped. They refused to accept this and were moved to an apartment instead - but this was in the new block so wasn't quite finished and they had the delights of visiting workmen on a regular basis! I din't meet anyone who'd got one - sorry!
Hi Thinmum

I am booked to go on 29th May with My Husband and son 11yrs old and I'm really concerned at the comments you have made. Would you reccomend we cancel due to the buildng work. Or is it not to bad?

Thank you

Annette :think
Hi

I would say that by the time you go all the internal and landscape type work should be complete as they were fixing and improving things all the time. The main "problem" will be the fact that the interactve family splash pool is still under construction, but at present there's only a kiddie pool near this so that shouldn't be too much of a problem as your son's a bit old for this and there are two full size outdoor pools and an indoor pool to choose from. The building work at the other hotel and noisy road affects those in twin rooms in Block 2, although maybe the double glazing is better in rooms other than the one we were in - apartments were further away overlooking the pool so I don't think they'd be affected. I think your best bet if you're booked into a twin room would be to email the hotel (I found their email address on the Alto da Colina website) requesting to be placed in Block 1, otherwise an apartment in Block 2 should be fine and if you have no mobility problems is probably a quieter option.

As I said, we had a great time, many weren't happy but a combination of difficulties getting the toddlers around the complex, teething problems with the new building and offering AI for the first time (which they are improving and dealing with day by day) and unsettled weather seemed to be the main issues.

Hope this helps!
Hi Thinmum

You have been a great help...thank you very much.
Annette :D
I have booked to fly out on the 29th of May and after being told by first choice in January that everthing was completed to recieving a letter last night to say the splash park isnt complete I am considering moving hotels which First Choice say they will do for me. But is it a case of better the devil you know?? If its only a small section of the complex would it be that bad? Can anyone tell me if it just confined to that small area or does it affect the whole complex?
I too have just received the letter about the splash park, which concerned me as I chose the hotel because of it as my lyoungest doesn't really like going in the pool.

It really only affects a very small area of the complex. My neighbour went there last year and didn't even know it was there until the second week. I have spoken to the hotel AND First Choice and they are doing there upmost to have it finished in the next two weeks (we go on the 31st so fingers crossed).

We too considered swapping hotels but apart from the splash park the Village really does seem to have the best allround facilities and nice rooms so I would consider it really carefully.

My only concern, which someone else maybe able to answer is the story that if you are all inclusive you are allocated your sitting time on arrival! Personally I want to eat when we are all ready, which will usually be around 7/7.30 in the eveing. First Choice assure me that they have never heard such nonsense AND you can use any restaurant you want at any time! But there are too many posts on here saying otherwise for me to let it drop!

Does anyone know for definite PLEASE!!! I have tried emailing the hotel but can't get through to the email address on thie website. When I phoned them they wouldn't give me a clear answer.
I would be very interested to find out if the food is any good as i will be going all inclusive here in august.Already seen a review on another site, suggesting it was not to good :que
Hi,

Unless they have changed things since we were there last week, on arrival you are given a sheet of paper with meal times in the buffet restaurant:
Breakfast - 07.30 - 10.00
Lunch - 12.00 - 14.30
Dinner - 18.30 - 19.30 (early sitting) or 20.00 - 21.00 (late sitting)
One of the dinner sittings is highlighted and you are given a green band if you're allocated the early sitting or a blue band if allocated the late sitting. Our friends wanted to move from late to early sitting but weren't able to until 2 days into the holiday as the early sitting was full. We stayed on the late one but had no problem going in a bit early (about ten to eight). You don't have to arrive at eight (or half six), just between the times stated.

You are also given two slips of paper on arrival, these are your reservations for the Italian and Portuguese restaurants.
We didn't try to change the our reservations for the speciality restaurants, can't remember their opening times but our times were 20.00 and 19.30, if you weren't AI and wanted to buy a meal I think you could go in any time that they were open. I know that one family's reservation was at 19.30 and when they asked if it could be made earlier they were told no as they were "fully booked" (apparently only five tables were occupied....)

So regardless of what First Choice say there are restrictions on the times that you can eat your evening meal!

As far as the food is concerned, we were happy with the quality and choice in the buffet restaurant, although other guests weren't (not sure why....). The Italian restaurant wasn't particularly impressive, quite bland in fact.... but the steak in the Portuguese was lovely (but they ran out so only one of us go it!) and the chicken wasn't bad either - watch out for the super spicy piri piri sauce!

The building work at the new pool will only disturb people using the little pool at the very top of the complex, there is a kiddy pool by the main pool you can use instead if it gets too noisy so I personally wouldn't let this put you off if that is your main concern.

Happy holidays!
Thanks for that, it helps clear things up and I will take great pleasure in correcting First Choice!!!

I did actually get an email from the Hotel, stating exactly what you have said so at least I know what to expect now! I am sure we will have a great holiday anyway its just so annoying when the travel agent can't even get it right!!
Hi,could you let me the email address as i tried the one listed on here and their website and it keeps rejecting me email

thanks
Hi, yes I emailed altodacolina@mail.telepac.pt as listed on their website. I did get an undelivered message from message demon or something as soon as I had sent it but have had replies both to my work and home email so the address must be correct.

Hope this helps.
Exactly the same message i got,thanks for letting me know.Just sit back and wait for my reply :tup
Received an email back from holiday village,so email does work.Seemed polite and helpful :) ,and as people said its getting better by the day(so they said) :think .There is hope for us paying customers yet :tup
Hi all, just back today from the Holiday village, first of all the weather was terrible for the whole fortnight we were there, locals say very unusual for this time of year but it was very cloudy and not very warm at all. The hotel itself is not quite finished, Block 2, where we were staying still getting finishing touches all over, the main block pretty much finished but the family splash pool no where near finished and wont be for some time in my opinion.Cant coment on the food as we were self catering but speaking to the guests on A I they were not very impressed with what was on offer. Hope this answers a few questions, anything else you want to know just ask.
Hi

We've booked for 9th October and have paid for a kids den, our youngest son son will be 15 month old and we thought it might be easier.

Can anyone tell me what sort of AI food is included as just wondering what the little one will eat.

What are the kids dens like, what do they have in them?

We booked on line and wern't offered additional extras like hiring a blender, highchair or booking the creche, will these be offrered later?

What is the area like outside the HV? Is it near a beach, is there shops around.

Sorry, lots of Qs, thanks in anticipation.

Loopy
our youngest son son will be 15 month old

at this age they haven't usually developed a food fad [only an implied one from the parents] provided you take common a common sense approach [avoid food in a lot of oil, heavily spiced,lots of onion/garlic etc] and keep it plain they should eat most things...

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.