General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Its taken years of therapy to get over the embarrassment :rofl :rofl

I would have minded but hubby just shook his head and walk away and left me :que

Lynn
Oh poor you. My husband just told the other 14 members of my family that were at the waterpark in Marmaris what happened! :really I could literally have killed him.

Ah well, ye gotta larf (or ye'd cry!)

Now I do have a sensible question! :think

What do you all wear when travelling? I used to be a very casual traveller, jog pants, t shirt, trainers and zipper. Now I'm getting that wee bit older I've decided I look a bit of a ned/chav dressed like this, but its comfy!!!

Have a wee pair of white 3/4 length cargo pants that I was going to wear and just a pink t shirt, with pink/white trainers, but still think I look a bit neddy. Thinking I prob need to go for 3/4 length jeans or something.
Scottishmum, I have no idea what a ned is, but I like the sound of it.

One thing I have learned over the years of long haul travel is not to wear clothes that are too restrictive, so I tend to wear trousers that have elastic in the waist. I also dress in layers. My other half reckons I do that because I am approaching that funny age and may have a sudden power surge - cheek!.

I also wear slightly wider shoes than I normally wear. I do this in case I want to take my shoes off during the flight and the shoes still fit easily even if they have puffed up a bit.

I never wear linen because crumpled has never been a good look on me.
Scottishmum wrote:
What do you all wear when travelling?
I wear my heaviest shoes, my biggest jacket, all my jewellery and a collection of belts - saves weight in the suitcase... :lol:
I normally wear linen trousers, a light top, cardigan and sandals. cool and comfy.
Lol Sydney, a ned is the Scottish equivalent of a Chav.

Tried on travelling outfit tonight, sod it, its fine. DH can hide from me if he wants! :cheers

Have packed all my wee summer dresses for night time, with a little bolero cardi, just hope its not too cold at night (sharm).
I'd wear the same as shirley if it,s going to be warm at the other end . Linen trousers, comfy t shirt, light cardi and sandals that I can kick off on the plane , .I might try to look ultra chick this year and add a pashmina , wrap, throw or whatever you call them but thats another item of Euro chick that I cant seem to get the hang of .

when I was on the plane coming back from rome over christmas there were loads of Italian ladies and they were all wearing those pashmina scarves .I watched them all as the plane was coming in to land wraping them around their necks with effortless style . Ive got a couple of these and I tried the same look in my mirror when I got home . They were wearing them as you would a scarf and not just a wrap . I couldnt get the hang of it and just looked like a dumpy bag lady :cry The only time I dare use one is when Im curled up on the sofa asleep :rofl
i like to wear combats nice and loose and huge pockets to put all my travel documents and passport in saves going through a bag for them baggy teashirt and a cardi really comfy then on my feet crocs has to be crocs ugly but so comfy my son hates them and tries his hardest to avoid me and his dad as hubby wears them too you have to be comfortable whilst travelling and leave plenty of room to fit the alchahol in
I'm with Madge and wear 3/4 combats with the pockets. They are so light and comfy. T Shirt and cardi. Crocs or trainers on the feet :cheers

I'm also with Lyn on the scarves - try as I might I can't get the 'cool' look of scarves (not tried the pashina but I reckon if I can't master a scarf I haven't a cat's chance of doing one of those :yikes )
lynwestie wrote:
there were loads of Italian ladies and they were all wearing those pashmina scarves .I watched them all as the plane was coming in to land wraping them around their necks with effortless style . Ive got a couple of these and I tried the same look in my mirror when I got home . They were wearing them as you would a scarf and not just a wrap . I couldnt get the hang of it and just looked like a dumpy bag lady
:lol: What is it with Italian ladies? They could look stylish in a potato sack! I haven't invested in a pashmina; I can't manage to look good in sarong, so there's no point trying anything else... :-?
I too tend to travel in cropped trousers, layered tops with a cardi or something, bearing in mind it will be hot when you get off the plane, flat and comfy shoes, your heaviest ones is sensible for weight reasons in your case. I wouldn't wear white trousers/crops to travel in because they will end up not being worn again - I'm not one for washing stuff on hols unless I have to and with whites, well they are never right again until you can do them properly at home. That is, unless you have some that you keep specifically for travelling.

I keep meaning to carry a pashmina for the return journey as it's always freezing on the plane but I forget. Every time.
Thanks Ladies, right 3/4 length cargo pants it is then, with my trainers as they're really heavy ones. Have decided against wearing the flip flops since its bloody freezing!

P.S. I can carry off a pashmina! :cheers
So can I Scottish mum, & I often wear one as a scarf. Marlou is in Taba and said its boiling in the day and not too bad at night at all.
Last year my inlaws bought me a present back from their holiday in Italy. It was a waistcoat with several dozen pockets in it. They reckoned all the blokes there were wearing them. I wore it on the lane to go to the USA and it held everything, (passports, visa forms, camera, MP3 player, sweets, money paperbacks etc. Very useful
CRICKETWATCHER wrote:
Didn't your knees buckle under that lot?

It was a school trip and so I had to have the paperwork and stuff available for 14 kids and 3 staff. It was far more convenient to have it on my body. Once on the plane it went into the overhead locker once I had taken out what I needed for the flight. Trouble is with these sort of trips you never know what you will need at any minute so having stuff to hand is easier. Sometimes the staff are more trouble than the kids!!
Thanks Helen, I meant freezing here in Glasgow to go out wearing flip flops :rofl

Woo hooo, cannae wait! :cheers
I have been channel surfing and came across Ideal World shopping channel. They are currently selling a wrap around thing that becomes a pair of trousers with a skirt around the outside. It's by Moira C and called 'Itsawrap' trousers (one size) £19.99. Apparently this has been around a while, so I was wondering if anyone has bought this and what is it like? Would you recommend it?

Sheila.
Hi, I haven't seen the particular item you're referring to but I'm assuming that this is based on the same basic design that has been a mainstay of many hippie wardrobe for over 30 years! I made my first pair?/skirt? over 30 years ago - think of it as cross between a sarong and a pair of trousers. Would I recommend it, for beach cover-ups etc, yes, but with a few provisos (though the posters on this site http://www.shoppingtelly.com/FORUM/showthread.php?p=192814 aren't enamoured of them!):

1) First off make sure that it does have a good, sizeable wrap on it. In other words be wary of anything which only comes in one size if you are more than a size 14/16 - you could find the wrap is simply not big enough and at the slightest breeze or the moment you walk at a brisk pace the 'legs' start to flutter and expose your cellulite to the world.

2) Like a sarong don't expect a tailored look - think more 'sarong' rather than 'skirt' or 'trousers'.

3) At best it will only look like a skirt from one direction - most are designed so that the wraparound bit is to the front. This means that it will look like a sarong from the front but your bum will be visible as if it was in a pair of trousers from the back. And vice-versa, if the main wrap is to the back, then your'll appear to be in a wraparound skirt/sarong from the back view but it fairly wide palazzo type trousers from the front.

4) Most versions of this item of clothing don't look like a skirt from either direction because the wraps aren't big enough but more like trousers with each leg in a wraparound sarong which sounds weird but actually isn't once they are on. Imagine a pair of trousers with instead of an outside side seam just an extension to the front and back of each leg, hold the front of 'trousers' in front of you and tie the tapes round your waist and behind your back, you then pull the back of the 'trousers' through between your legs and tie the tapes round your waist at the front.

Whether they will suit you or whether you like them or not will not depend on how comfortable you feel in a fairly loose, often shapeless garment.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.