General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Heard a report on the local radio station this morning that made me think of this thread and have a little chuckle. They were giving a countdown of the best dressed nationalities on holiday. Guess what, the English were way down the list. Italy were in the number 1 spot and Germany, if I remember correctly were number 2. Got a long way to go yet but we do try. Have decided to buy "accessories" for this year's holiday. Trouble is, I keep thinking of the Lee Evans sketch where he is going on about his wife at the airport with her bangles and flip flops :D .
It was a poll on Trip Advisor for who was the best dressed nation in Europe. Italy came first with the French second, the UK were named the worst dressed closely followed by Germany.
Thanks Judith, I knew the English didnt do well, but Germany stuck in my mind for some reason :think
I loved this thread last year :D

I haven't bought anything as we are booking last minute so will wait and see.

Helen
srhjnmgn wrote:
Heard a report on the local radio station this morning that made me think of this thread and have a little chuckle. They were giving a countdown of the best dressed nationalities on holiday. Guess what, the English were way down the list. Italy were in the number 1 spot and Germany, if I remember correctly were number 2. Got a long way to go yet but we do try. Have decided to buy "accessories" for this year's holiday. Trouble is, I keep thinking of the Lee Evans sketch where he is going on about his wife at the airport with her bangles and flip flops :D .

I can recall going on holiday with my grandparents in the 60s. Grandad would wear a suit even on the beach. If it got hot he would take the jacket off and roll up his sleeves. He would then tie a knot in each corner of his handkerchief and put it on his head!
Oh don't! I wish I wasn't marking this thread!

Just sorted my stuff out for our holiday on Friday, completely confident that I had 'more than enough' clothes for the holiday from last year (bearing in mind our Summers so we don't wear them often!).

All 6 pairs of my linen cut off's look 'thin' and a bit 'droopy'. Now am panicking and thinking of going to town Wednesday to hunt for shorts :( :duh I know damn fine that all that'll be left are 10's or 20's :cry
Well I did buy a large pack of multi coloured stud earrings from Primark thinking they would compliment my swimwear but I can never be ar$ed to put them in!!

My daughter gave me a freebie Clinique clear plastic zip up toiletry bag type thingy, it has Clinique written all over it - I take it in my beach bag with my Tesco suntan lotions in it and feel ever so graaand when I pull it our around the pool :D
I feel your frustration Glynis! I have that trouble every year. I still haven't found a pair of shorts that look and feel comfortable; I bought a pair from M&S last year but had to stop wearing them because the waistband was stiff and didn't have any elastic in it and the legs tended to flap around like a windsock which made my thighs look even bigger.
:rofl Sydney I have the opposite problem with shorts, the legs are usually too wide as I have skinny legs so love your description of the windsock
My daughter gave me a freebie Clinique clear plastic zip up toiletry bag type thingy, it has Clinique written all over it - I take it in my beach bag with my Tesco suntan lotions in it and feel ever so graaand when I pull it our around the pool

Ooh Joolz . Can you get me one of those plz .I have one of those clear plasic ones but mine came with a tenners worth of cheap stuff in it and it's looking a bit manky now :D
Hello Ladies,

Ooooo its been so long since I've been on this thread! Glynis try George at Asda for some nice new linen trousers. I just got a couple of pairs for £8 each.

Well I have just pulled the Itsa's out from their hidey place and they are looking grand. Have also ordered a couple of nice new bikinis from La Senza and M&S both to match my blue and pink Itsas. Being quite tempted with a new sparkly Glitsa mind you! Have all of yours survived?

So what is this years must have accessory? Is there anything new I need to buy? lol

My little headscarves (all to match bikinis of course!) are all a bit worn and I can find anything decent to replace them. I need to cover my scalp to stop it burning and not subjecting myself to a hat. Anyone seen anything?

I sound as if I might look chic with all my matching towels, bikinis, bags and flip flops, but trust me I just look like a tramp! lol
I've bought a trilby with a black band around it- will be wearing it for the first time in turkey. I think it looks nice but Gawd knows how everybody else will view it :rofl

I'd be interested to know where I can get a pretty bandana.
All the headscarves/bandanas I have ever owned were always bought on holiday.

I was in Peacocks the other day and they do beach towels to match the exact pattern of the bikini. If it wasn't for our white skin we'd blend right in :rofl

I cannot wait to get something booked so I can start shopping.

Helen
Primark is brilliant for holiday wear! I don't go so far as to accessorise when at the beach with a pair of heels, but I do intend on getting a floppy straw hat, complimented with my huuuuuge sunglasses it should look quite nice :D
I've already got sarongs from every point of the earth, I can't seem to resist them!

When I'm away I tend to live in linen pants with either gladiator sandles or pretty flip flops. George at ASDA, Matalan, Primark and New Look offer great holiday bits for really quite low prices. :D
I bought a straw hat from my local market a few years ago and it's a godsend. I've had others but this one has a band of holes round the bottom of the crown so I can hold it in place with kirby grips rather than having to chase it down the beach anytime there is a wind.
Have found a few hair scarfs on Ebay that might just cut it.

Ladies, those of you that bought the Saress previously, how did you find the sizing? I'm a ten bottoms and 12 top and wondering if the 10/12 will indeed fit or if I need to go bigger?
I've got myself a floppy straw hat.

I just don't look very chic in it somehow. Ach who cares?
Floppy straw hats and cowboy hats are all the rage this year. I got one at M&S but at the end of two weeks it looked nothing like it started out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.