General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
can you get dustbin bags in different colours , will sort my luggage weight out no end

:tup
Brilliant post espaniol, :) when my Mum (got rest her) was younger she told me that at school in the 1930's they were taught how to sit up straight, head high and tummy tucked in.

My Dad said they were were taught special breathing that helped your posture.

At the grammer school in my town the 1970's girls had deportment belts as part of a smart school uniform which kind of went round their waists and then hung down the backs of their skirts to kind of encourage them to stand up straight and tall with their heads held up high, they were awared at the end of the week for the girls with good posture and they wore them the following week as a positive reward.

Nowdays most have dreadful posture and slump all the time and as a Nation we also seem to be getting fatter - well according to our newspapers.

I think our govenment and our economy is the reason our teens (and us) are wandering about looking so miserable. :rofl :rofl

I am going to wander around Europe with my head held high in future or will have to fork out to go to America where everyone seems to slump as well !
I must be getting mistaken as a Euro chic then as I naturally walk really upright with my head stuck up in the air. I don't know why this is but people that have got to know me say that they always thought I was a 'snob' because of the way I walk. I've noticed in photographs that my neck looks elongated (I do have a long neck anyway) and now whenever I get a photo taken I have to make a conscious effort to remember to put my head down a bit :D
I'm not sure that one can generalise to such a degree. I certainly don't slump. My mother walked with a very straight back until she was well into her eighties and osteoporosis caught up with her and I believe I walk with my back quite straight just as she did. I certainly don't drag myself along and unless I am window shopping, I along with most of my friends and family walk at a brisk pace.

Since reading Espanol's post I have been watching how people walk, some slump, some walk with straight backs and as I live in Germany I don't think all of those who slump or drag themselves along are british.

I am nearly always taken for a german, purely due I believe to the clothes that I wear nothing to do with my posture. A close friend who does slump is german and is never spoken to in English when on holiday. I find Espanol's post quite insulting and am suprised that many of HT members have accepted it without protest.
Judith wrote:
I am nearly always taken for a german, purely due I believe to the clothes that I wear nothing to do with my posture. A close friend who does slump is german and is never spoken to in English when on holiday. I find Espanol's post quite insulting and am suprised that many of HT members have accepted it without protest.

Of course there are no Spanish stereotypes! :rofl I'm surprised they open their eyes long enough to actually look at a tourist!

Or perhaps the British are so confident and happy in themselves that they don't have to put on a show for everyone else?
I find Espanol's post quite insulting and am suprised that many of HT members have accepted it without protest

Sorry Judith but I believe in free speech and I for one welcome a different view from the eyes of a foreigner and I don't find Español's posting insulting, I think he was quite correct actually.
He was giving a general opinion of how others see us, and I've seen and heard how the Brits slob up and down the promenade dragging their feet instead of lifting them up between steps....you can hear them coming from a mile away.

The same way as some Brits dress, they have no idea of what a slob they look.
There are many nations who generalise and think we are a nation of pee heads, so should I stomp and throw my dummy out of the pram because I don't drink.?

Sanji
I still think the post is insulting. Living abroad I do hear other peoples views of the British as my circle of friends include different nationalities but none would be so bad mannered to print on a web site primarily for British people such a criticism with advice on how to improve ourselves.
I do believe in free speech but I don't believe in generalising any one nation and if Espanol had said some British people do not walk etc... instead of lumping everyone together then his post could have been more acceptable but still very rude.
there are ( slobs)in all cultures just as there are elegant people, maybe we drag our feet on holiday because we are so relaxed and in the frame of mind to take a stroll rather than rush around madly as we do everyday when going about daily life. xphx :sun2
On a lighter note maybe Brits have been seen to be dragging their feet because due to our British weather they haven't learnt to walk in flipflops properly :D
Judith, I didn't think this site was for Brits only to voice an opinion and maybe he should have said some, but the fact that he is Spanish and can write better English than some Brits, I commend him, how many Brits could venture onto a Spanish forum and write in Spanish.?
In fact if some did, my goodness your eyes would be opened.
You have to have a grasp of the Spanish language to appreciate that as far as Español is concerned, he has said nothing wrong....and he actually said.
I have not had the time to read all 18 previous pages of this post, but you may want to get an opinion from a foreigner. Of course, this is a generalization. So don't get upset!

What is it with the Brits, can't take criticism, but like to dish it out and insult the Spanish in here.?

Sanji
Well I can't stand it, it drives me crackers, when in Supermarkets etc and I can hear women dragging their feet so that you get a scraping sound from their shoes :rage
I can't say I've noticed many Brits dragging their feet tbh, unless they're very obese and are struggling to walk.
Im with you on that one Glynis and its especially worse when they are wearing "ugg" type boots :banghead:

I took the post from Espanol in the sense it was meant - or at least how I interpret it was meant and IMO it was lighthearted and meant to be funny as is the rest of this particular thread (many times I have read through some of the comments just to raise a smile ;) ). There have been many occasions when on holiday that hubby has been mistook for German and random people just start talking to him :really so obviously he stands in the correct way. I dont scuff along the floor but maybe I dont stand tall, head up, chest & bum out etc. I might give it a go this year.

shirley h wrote:
On a lighter note maybe Brits have been seen to be dragging their feet because due to our British weather they haven't learnt to walk in flipflops properly :D

:rofl
sanji wrote:
Judith, I didn't think this site was for Brits only to voice an opinion and maybe he should have said some, but the fact that he is Spanish and can write better English than some Brits, I commend him, how many Brits could venture onto a Spanish forum and write in Spanish.?
In fact if some did, my goodness your eyes would be opened.
You have to have a grasp of the Spanish language to appreciate that as far as Español is concerned, he has said nothing wrong....and he actually said.
I have not had the time to read all 18 previous pages of this post, but you may want to get an opinion from a foreigner. Of course, this is a generalization. So don't get upset!

What is it with the Brits, can't take criticism, but like to dish it out and insult the Spanish in here.?

Sanji

I'm not aware that I said that this site is for Brits only, I said primarily for British people. The fact that he speaks perfect English has nothing to do with the topic. I speak German but wouldn't dream of going on a German forum and posting remarks and advice to Germans on to how they should behave or dress. I'm just not that bad mannered.
The fact that he speaks perfect English has nothing to do with the topic.

Yes it has actually, you'll often find when the Spanish convert into English, they miss the niceties out because the Spanish language doesn't have as many as in the English language, and they can come over rather abrupt or straight to the point..

But what is all the fuss about.? He gave a general opinion and was just giving exactly that"¦. an opinion"¦.did he insult either you or me personally, did he break any T&C's, in fact what did he do wrong..?
He was giving some advice, dam good advice too if you want my opinion.

Sanji
Yes, I felt insulted, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't.

Just one question if a German or a French person had come on to the site and given us advice would it have been accepted with the same equanimity?
Just one question if a German or a French person had come on to the site and given us advice would it have been accepted with the same equanimity?

I can't speak for everyone else, but if it was constructive, not personal, not painting us all with the same brush and just a general observation open to discussion, and not just an opportunity to slag everyone off and then run from the forum, then as far as I'm concerned it would.
Personally I wish we could get more foreigners to post in here, I really do.
There are two sides to every coin and it gets a bit boring in here having the same mentality day in day out.
I think if we had the other side of the coin explained to us, it would make a big difference regarding our opinions, I know from my own experience that it competely changed my views.

I've seen what happens in here when I stick up for the Spanish after someone posts inaccurate information, and when they come back from holiday and say things like "the hotel was full of Spanish" or the "food was for the Spanish" or " the Spanish are ignorant and don't speak".

I also remember when a Spaniard posted in the Costa del Sol forum about the problem of excessive drinking, jeez, some posters were like a pack of wolves and didn't want to discuss it, they just went in all guns blazing to defend the Brits, so the poster never came back again.
IMO: That's HT's loss, not mine.

Apologies for going off topic.

Sanji x
Yes it might be better to agree to disagree on this one and get back on topic :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.