Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Taxi drivers are genuinely interested in whether it is your first visit so that they can show you the many sites. It's for your benefit, you understand, not theirs. The genuinely want you to have a good time. :cheers
The money exchange at the airport is giving better rates than the resorts :cheers
You really DO need those twelve sarongs you bought on the beach
"Is it true".........That i should expect major delays and upheaval with public transport and ferries as the new "scrappage scheme" comes into effect.
That Ram at the Carvery only serves coffee at the Wednesday meets. :yikes
...the sea is normally this warm or is it just the lack of shack toilets causing it?
...the introduction of four different coloured bins for various waste is causing some confusion?
...the local drivers are complaining that their courtesy of always stopping to allow pedestrians to cross the road has been diminished by all these new pedestrian crossings every 100 yards?
That every motorcycle driver looks left, right, and, behind him before making any manoeuvre.And uses his indicators to show such manoeuvre.

Papa
Like the British driving test, the Indian one also tests you on set pieces:
How well you can stick to the middle of the road
How to drive the wrong way down a dual carriage way because it's quicker to get to where you want to go.
How to overtake leaving exactly a one centimetre gap
Proper use of the horn (as often and as long as possible)
How to cram as many people into one vehicle as possible (this applies to car, motorcycle and truck tests).
Elderly and obese British women have stopped going topless on the beach.
Calangute High St is to be pedestrianised to make it easier to get around during busy shopping hours......Keith
The skinny wrinkly old guy who walks up and down Candolim beach in a thong
has full body "Botox" to iron some of the creases out.

GM06
Ian
fantastic posts - what a laugh, I can picture every scenario! How i wish i was going back soon but got other hols booked - Pune/Agra/Jaipur/Delhi in Feb then maldives with my better half in May. Roll on Nov with hopeful return to Goa.
Back in November Eh!
Just in time to see the implementation of the new one way system in Mapusa.
Those on the right and left will all have to circumnavigate in a clockwise direction, whilst those in the centre will have to travel anti-clockwise.
This should ease the morning rush hour and limit congestion to a mere 6 hours.
Also the new "share a ride to work" scheme may mean the some families will have to leave the pig at home so as to accomodate the next door neighbour.
But the new rule that has me totally baffled and i can't think for the life of me why, is all shops must provide surgical gloves, but left hand only. Eh!! What's all that about ??
I missed this thread earlier as we were in Goa at the time, however I can report on some significant changes we found while we were there.
Despite being fast tracked through immigration we were offered a welcome drink as we waited in a que of just three people. On our return journey we were ushered into the now extended VIP lounge which is offered to all passengers free of charge. Complimentary snacks and drinks are offered along with an opportunity to apply for a VISA for your next visit. This is simply done by scanning your passport through an hand held machine as you sit in the comfort of the lounge and there is no charge for this service, the passport will automatically be recognised as having valid VISA for life without any further need to send it away. It is a gesture of good will and thanks for spending your hard earned by boosting the Goan economy, and provided you have behaved yourself whilst you are there and not attempted to break any local by laws and regulations you will be welcomed back at any time.
Another major change has been the banning of the uneccessary use of plastic bags and bottles, recycling centres are springing up everywhere and every street corner has recycling bins despite the fact that a weekly refuse collection service is now available free of charge to all households. Fly tippers no longer exist as Goans feel a new green mood sweeping the state.
The kashmir tailors have stopped guessing at sizes and are making suits that fit you like a glove.

GM06
Ian
The electric department has modernised all it's sub stations and wiring and that the outages have stopped altogether?

Phew!!!!!Thank goodness that's a relief, I can now go out of an evening with make-up on BOTH eyes AND wearing matching shoes :rofl
:rofl ...and will now be able to stop guessing where you left the torch and banging your shins on the bed!
:rofl me and the oh remember the old bloke in the thong nearly choked on our kingfishers :haha
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.