Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Maine,

We went to Petra on Lesvos about 8 years ago. It was lovely, very traditional and the people were sooo friendly. We often played cards with the locals on an evening. It still rates as one of the nicest holidays in Greece we've ever had. I still remember my hubby's face when we went out for dinner on that first night - we were invited into the kitchen of the taverna to pick what we wanted - he'd never been to Greece before and couldn't stop telling people about it when we came home :lol:

From what I remember, you should find it child friendly. It's got a lovely long seafront, ideal for pushing the baby. The beach is great and the sea was quite calm. Most places to eat had tables outside so can sit with baby in the buggy by your side. The Greeks seem to love kids so I'm sure they'll make a fuss over her.
I'd recommend climbing up the the church on the hillside to watch the sunset one evening, it's lovely.

I believe that there has been some building in the time since we've been but it's still one of the best places to go for that traditional feel.
If you are getting the coach supplied in a package deal, do be aware that it's quite a drive BUT it is worth it, however you might want to get a taxi to save the hassle.

If you fancy a change one day you can catch a taxi to Molyvos which is the next town along - it's very pretty.

Hope that helps.
If you are taking a baby to Greece, please please make sure you have very good air conditioning in the property not just a fan, some friends of ours went in Juneto Thassos with their baby two years ago for a fortnight and ended up having to come home after one week it was just too hot for the baby. It cried all week, and to make it worse they flew from Manchester and the only flight they could get back on was Gatwick and their car was at Manchester plus 2 further hours home, they haven't been since.
Maine

We have had many happy holidays in Lesvos and have stayed in both Petra and Molyvos.

Molyvos is stunningly beautiful, but isnt pushchair friendly and has cobble stone roads and steep inclines up to the main shops and we have often seen young families struggle with pushchairs so beware.

Petra is a much better option as is mostly flat except the for the climb should you wish to attempt a visit to the lovely Church which looks down on the town. Petra also has a good beach and Molyvos is only a 5 minute taxi ride away for visits.

Lovely peaceful place.

Pete
Hello, Maine
we stayed in stoupa 3 years ago right on kalogria beach, it was brilliant. nice clean sand beach, water can be a bit chilly because a fresh water spring rises here. small cafes/tavernas ring the beach but the apts are only metres away if you need to retire for a rest out of the sun. the apts are in the kosmar brochure clean,modern with air contioning. they are called kalogria beach apts, theres a bit of a hill to get to the village centre but nothing to worry about. I think early june would be ok infact if you like it really quiet just perfect, just enough cafes/tavernas in the village. It's only a 3hr flight and about 70 mins transfer not to bad.

paul
Hi. We went to Stoupa when our children were 1 and 4 and again the following year - found it an ideal place for a holiday with young children. Everything close to hand, 2 lovely beaches and a supermarket stocking all kinds of baby things like Pampers and baby wipes - would thoroughly recommend, Laura H
Just logged on - couldn't believe there were so many replies already. :D
I booked somewhere yesterday and went for...Stoupa. From your descriptions either place sounded fine but there were much better flight times (didn't fancy hanging around all day waiting for a midnight flight!) Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help.
Hi Maine

You'll find lots of information about Stoupa on the following board:

http://www.zorbas.de/webcam/camboard/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.