Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We found in May that a lot of things that previously cost 1 Euro now cost 1.20. One year ago that 1 Euro cost you 67p Sterling, the 1.20 now costs you 1 Pound Sterling. That adds up to a 50% ( 67p -> £1 ) increase in the past year for lots of purchases.
We found things more expensive this year - a meal for 5 that cost €30-35 in 2006 was €40-45 this year and the fact that the euro was so low didn't help matters!

Our money certainly didn't seem to go as far as usual this year!
I have just come back from Majorca on the 19/6/09 I found it very expensive for everything !!! with the exception of tobacco products.
Hope this information is useful.
We returned on 31/05 and also found everything to be very expensive.
"Very expensive" is a subjective expression, what we did find in May was that Euro prices in shops/bars/restaurants were the same as, or very slightly up on, Sept of last year. Where it became expensive was in the large depreciation of the Pound vs Euro. Were it not for that big drop prices would show as reasonably stable over the past year. There's a projection that the Pound will climb back to 1.25 by Sept this year, let's hope so.
We got back from Majorca at lunchtime and, to be honest, I didn't think the prices were that bad. 4 euros for gin, vodka and a bottled mixer. You could get a pint of San Miguel for 1 or 1.5 euros in some places, cider and beer was about 3 euros. Typically we were spending between 12 and 16 euros on lunch and about 35 euros at night (including a couple of drinks (wine or sangria) for 2 of us.
We stayed in Alcudia and were thankfully AI.
Hi Stardust. Hope you enjoyed your hol :cheers . Did you ever leave the apartment/hotel complex? Interested because on another thread we are talking about AI killing resorts!
Yes we left the complex every day as even though we were AI I can't stand staying in the same place all of the time. The bars across the road from the complex were quite busy but other than that everywhere else was pretty quiet.

It's a tough one though because looking around at the local prices I personally would not want to be self catering in the resort and was glad that I was AI.
We have just been AI in Alcudia for 2 weeks but ended up eating out due to the horrible cold food. 3 off us eating out cost 60/70 euros for meal, bottle of wine and fanta and pudding same as at home. Can of juice cost 2 euros in bar, supermarket 98 cent for same thing!. Lager 2 euro some place or 4 euros. Euro across there exchanged at 1.11 euro to the pound. This is the first year I took notes with us due to the poor rate. Seemed alot dearer than when we last went 2 years ago the magaluf area, did think it was the area prices. Burger King wanted 6 euro for one burger same price as in resturant. Prices seemed dear in one English Bar compared to anothers. We had a chinese sit in for 3 with wine and was 45 euros. Carton of cigs 35 euros. Bottle of spirits same price as at home litre of simroff 10 euros. The hotel we stayed in wanted 3 euro for can of juice, 6 euros for small magners, 4 euros for vodka n coke, 2 euro for ice lolly.
We did not bother with BK but DH did mention that the advertised prices were ridiculous. We thought nothing of the prices in Alcudia a few years ago but are better travelled now and thought that they were shocking to be honest.
interesting thread. Does anyone else have prices for things like bottled water, cans of coke etc, bottles of beer :D , sandwiches, or perhaps did you find making your own lunches cheap?
One big saving on bottled water for carrying around... In the Eroski supermarket (and I guess in many others) you can usually find a special offer 5-litre bottle of water for less than 1 Euro. So buy that and also a small 500ml bottle, when the smaller bottle is finished then re-use with a refill from the 5-litre. Forget that "Font Major" stuff that costs lots and is no better than the cheap stuff.
Same goes for soft drinks for the kids.
We only occasionally eat out for lunch as sandwiches can be made up so much more cheaply. Especially with the delicious cucumber and tomatoes you get in Mallorca. Bread from Eroski is usually 1/2 the price (typically around 65 to 85 cents for a French stick) than from the local Spar.
Fruit from the weekly open-air market is rarely cheaper than the supermarket but is usually of far better quality, great oranges for carrying to the beach for lunch. 5 Kilo for around 4 Euros. They usually look awful but taste really good, the opposite being the case in the UK.
A large 1-litre (I think ?) bottle of San Miguel beer can be bought in Eroski for around 1.69 Euros (sometimes cheaper). Way cheaper than cans.
A typical 3-course restricted choice "Menu Del Dia" can still be had in lots of restaurants for around 12 to 15 Euros, including a drink.
Avoid those expensive UK newspapers, buy the "Mallorca Bulletin" which includes all the UK headline news and costs 1 Euro. OK buy both cos when you leave the UK one on the sunbed I usually read it ;)
some good tips there- particularly with decanting water to a smaller size
Terrific suggestions, Pollensa. Not sure about the Bulletin though!!

Aurum beer from Eroski is 95 cents for a litre, just as good as San Miguel. There really is no need to buy non-Spanish beers as the local ones are fine.

Suntan lotions - if there is a German Muller store convenient, they do a range called CadeaVera. Different factors as sprays for around 2.50 or special offers frequently for one euro only. My house has a bunch of them all at a euro.

Menu of the day - they can come in even lower. There is, for example, a place in Puerto Alcudia that does one as a take-away for 4 euros (minus the wine probably).
As an update on the previous - Aurum is actually 59 cents. Got it the wrong way round. Saint Mick in Eroski at 1.15 euros. Going down!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.