UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
We love it!

We live here and lots to see and do. Would recommend all you want to do and more - good zoos and parks and wildlife. The broads, shops, nice people. Thrigby Hall great. No idea on Edmar Lodge tho, sorry!
Thanks for your response.

Would you recommend a visit to Sandringham House? Is it quite out the way from Norwich??!?!

Also, we are looking to go on the Bure Valley train from Alysham to Wroxham and the dates we are away fall on a farmers market plus country fayre in Alysham. I'm guessing these get busy? So should we give the railway a miss?
Sandringham is lovely and definately worth the effort to go there. Snetisham Farm Park is also near there, which is a good day out if there are kids with you.
Bure Valley Railway is very good - you should be able to park okay as the farmers market is not heaving (or consider going from Wroham to Aylsham and back). The country fayre is at Blickling I assume and that is slightly out of Aylsham so should cause no issues.
Enjoy!
Thanks for your replies! I will check it all out!! An action packed weekend!
Hello again!

just wondered if anyone knew any little towns/villages that we can stop for something to eat on our way home from Norwich? We live near Stansted Airport so will be going via the A11. Don't mind going off track slightly!!

Wondered if horning was anywhere on route or is that in the other direction!?
Theres a really nice place called 'The Stag' (The hotel is called Breckland Lodge, next door to the Pub) which is just off the A11 (visable from the road) Near Attleborough. they do a carvery & normal menu meals.
its only about 15 mins on the A11 from Norwich (towards Thetford)

you can make reservations on ... 01953 455202

http://www.brecklandlodge.co.uk/menu.htm
Horning is the other direction afraid to say!
The Stag is good but not very far from Norwich - but stick to any privately owned pubs or hotels and you're bound to get a good meal.
If the Stag is too close, you could try The Mulberry In Thetford, (I would recomend reserveing tho, as it gets pretty busy, as its basically the only decent place in Thetford to eat)
this link shows a map http://www.thefoodplace.co.uk/restaurants/32357/The+Mulberry+in+Thetford/
but its pretty easy to find, (you can PM me if you want exact directions from the A11)
I live not to far from Thetford & we always eat at the Mulberry, its a small family run place that does the most delicious food (all home cooked) Lots of specialities (especially veggie stuff .. the sweet potato & peanut stew is gorgeous!!) its reasonably priced as well.

Im trying to think of anywhere else between Norwich & Stansted & i really cant think of anywhere that wont take you hugely off course, there isnt anywhere in Mildenhall / Newmarket area thats particularly good.

Only other suggestion would be to do a detour to Bury St Edmunds (where you can pick up the A14/ M11 strait to Stansted) Bury has many nice places to eat, The linden Tree (opposite the station) in town itself there is Cafe Rouge / Cafe Uno, a gorgeous New Turkish restaurant called Nazar (On Angel Hill, near to the Cathedral & the Abbey Gardens), The Angel hotel, & there are a plentitude of pubs that do decent food.
Claire - did not know about the Mulberry in Thetford (as I live in Norwich don't often go south!) so may try that with the family some time for a day out.
Thank you for your responses! I will take a look at both the Mullbury and The Stag. I'm guessing whatever time we decide to leave Norwich on the Sunday will determine which place we choose!

Thanks again!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.