General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Other way round with us, OH takes far more clothes with him than I do. I don't need a different outfit for every day, even every other day and have spent years cutting down to travelling with an absolute minimum, I'm sure I would only travel with hand luggage if OH's clothes didn't need to be carried in a cabin trunk.:banghead:
Lance , I've tried to have a logical conversation with my wife about packing clothes , don't even get me started on footwear !! Once Imelda Marcos Mk11 has finished packing I end up having to wheel it around the airport always ending up with the " Robin reliant " trolley . The only pleasure is knowing when we're back home it's not me having to do the washing and ironing .
ha ha ha - sounds like me all over Andy. Best part of it, when we get there all my clothes stay in the case, as she has all the wardrobe.
I'm slowly getting thru to my OH - this last week away ,she only had about 3 outfits unworn!
Actually checked weights a few years ago, when we went to Caribbean -she had 80% of the total weight and about 90 % of the bathroom necessities!!
I'm not too bad on clothes, and shoes I usually wear light trainers for travelling then flip flops sandals for pool then sandals for evening etc. The trouble I have is deciding what bags to take, so I usually take far too many 😆
Hubby puts what he thinks he needs to pack onto the bed and then I reduce it by half. We are away for 19 nights and have laundry facilities so even if we had that amount of clothes I wouldn't take it.
We drive to France and stay in a tent so no wardrobes. I abandoned the suitcases a few years ago and we now pack our clothes in the zipping laundry bags. Suitcases are useless in the tent so we always ended up decanting each person's clothes into a blue Ikea bag on arrival. We now take a laundry bag each and they are so much easier to pack into the boot of the car, plus we don't have the hassle of storing the empty cases. Friends who go with us allocate each person an under-bed storage box with a lid and that is all the clothes that they can take; the downside is that they spend their holiday in the laundry room.
I always take more than I need especially since I self cater and there is normally a washing machine although last year one was old fashioned twin tub (that didn't work)
After surviving an entire holiday without our suitcases I now travel with less. I lay out everything I want to pack and then think about how I am going to manage to wear all of it, and put half of it back. Also helps that I have now discovered that anything I wear will go with gold or silver shoes/sandals so that cuts out the 8 pairs and matching handbags😂
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-06-27 06:19:30
I'm quite good nowadays. I've learnt I only ever seem to alternate between 2 or 3 comfy outfits so I might take 5 or 6! Shoes & beauty products are what I need to cut down on

Way too many shoes, lotions & potions that never get used... and jewellery

Dave is far worse than me. 14 T shirts for a week, jumper (just in case) & socks (despite the fact he only wears sliders/Birkenstocks. I usually ditch most of what he puts out 8)
Ha ha - you sound like the opposite to us..
Hubby & I only ever take hand luggage & neither of us ever wears everything (we do have washing machine).

I do, at least try, to justify packing X top, hubby, however, will return with at least half unworn. He'll pop a shift in the wash, once it's dry he puts it back on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.