Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Try this website Corrine - http://www.zakopane-life.com/ It looks like it might have the answers to most of your questions. It's sub divided into topics such as eat - travel - language etc.
Hi Helen

Thanks for the link, very useful. We have booked the holiday now so I'll report back on what I find.
There's lots to do in Zakopane even if the weather is bad so don't worry about it! For example there are plenty of museums and galleries such as the Tatra Museum or the Miejska Galeria Sztuki (Municipal Art Gallery). There's also a theatre and a couple of cinemas, as well as a water park - Aqua Park Zakopane - which has other activities such as bowling and stuff for adults like saunas, a gym etc too.

Evenings there's lots of restaurants - including Italian and similar as well as Polish cuisine. Also there's a few clubs like Va Va Voom if you were looking for things like that too...
Having been to Krakow and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd like to try Zakopane. For those of you that have been, what is the easiest way to get there. I presume you fly into Krakow, how far away is Zakopane? when is the best time of year to go - we don't mind the cold! Do you go DIY or through a TO? Thanks in advance for your replies.
  • Edited by Helen T 2009-03-06 22:15:25
When we were in Austria last year we met a man who had been to Zakopane with Crystal Lakes(Tui),the company we were on holiday with.He loved it and goes every year.
Crystal do great late deals and might include Zakopane which may be better than DIY.
Thanks for that. I've never heard of anyone that goes there. I'll check them out.
Helen I have just looked on the Crystal website but Poland cant be booked on line.I am going to get the brochure tomorrow from a Thomson Shop.
I booked my holiday to Austria with Hays travel by phone a couple of weeks before we went.
I'm finding this topic very interesting . We too loved krakow and would love to return to
Poland and try somewhere different . For us this would have to be a 3 night city break type of thing with easy trips out .Is zakopane more of a ski resort in the winter ??

As well as Zakopane which sounds lovely does anyone have any other suggestions .

lyn
We've been to WArsaw as well Lyn, but much preferred Krakow - it had a lot more character. We are not skiers, but hubby does love walking. The poor thing always has to come with me for my beach holidays, so I thought maybe the next trip might be a little bit different.
I have got the Thomson Lakes and Mountains and the Crystal Lakes brochures today.I was hoping they would fly from my local airport but they only fly from Gatwick with BA.
Zakopane looks a beautiful place with lots of walking trails in the National Park.
2 centre holidays with Krakow are also available.
I have done some research today. The nearest airport to Zakopane (70km) is Poprad - Tatry in Slovakia. There are flights from Luton with "My Air" and I've seen some decent prices on their website. There is loads of accommodation to choose form in Zakopane too, again with good prices. I presume that there'd be buses or trains from the airport to the resort - I haven't got that far yet! If I mention the word "holiday" to hubby again, my life won't be worth living :rofl I'll have to keep this one up my sleeve for a while.
We have booked with Crystal/Thomson Lakes and are flying with BA from Gatwick to Krakow. We'll have 3 nights in Krakow at the Campanile and then 7 nights at the Belvedere in Zakopane. Transfers between the two should be about 2 hrs. Inghams also offer a twin centre combining Krakow with the High Tatras in Slovakia.
Corrine - We stayed at the Campanille - its in a great location, only minutes from the main square. The Belvedere looks fab too. I'm looking forward to your report on your return.
Zakopane prices are coming out at more than my budget in the brochures. I've seen some cheap flights, and would like to know whether anyone has gone DIY before? Also how many days would be ideal to spend here. Thanks for your replies.
It's now 3 weeks until we go so I am strating to work out what we might do in the way of excursions etc. Does anyone know if it is possible to do a 'DIY' trip to Auschwitz from Zakopane? Or can you recommend a Zaakopane based taxi driver? I know it would be much easier to get to Auschwitz from Krakow, but we only have 2 full days there so I don't think we can really afford to give up a day for it. Any suggestions welcome!
Hi Corinne I think it is about 166km. Route maps suggest a drive time of 2hr 39 minutes. I think you would need a very early start in order to get the most out of a visit to Auschwitz (there is a lot to see) and particularly if you also wanted to go to Birkenau when you are there. It is possible to do a private trip from Zakopane by taxi: I have seen that somewhere in my surfing! I had a private taxi for my trip there 2 weeks ago, but that was from Krakow and it took just over an hour to get there.
Do you really want to spend over 5 hours travelling to see Auschwitz - it's really not worth it - wait until you go to Krakow again - once you've been, you'll definately want to go back - personally I'd have spent more days in Krakow
Thanks for all your comments. We've decided to give Auschwitz a miss this time as we don't want to rush our visit there. I'll post a review when we get back (2 weeks to go!).
Just back at work after a fab trip - will post my review as soon as I can.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.