Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Driving in Menorca is a doddle Fizz. There is one 'main' road that runs from Mahon up to Cuitadella with most of the resort roads running off this one.

The roads aren't packed with cars and there isn't that constant honking of horns that you can get in some places.

We've never booked a car before we have gone and always got a car without any problems.
thanks glynis, thats sounds fab, i really want a car so we can have a look around all of the island, ive seen there are some lovely beaches to be found if you can get to them, also alot for the kids, the goody goody park whatever that is, sounds fun though, and a water park which my daughter will love, so i cant wait, roll on july :)

fizz xxxxx
Driving is easy and its the best way to get the best out of the island - HOWEVER, note that not all roads are accessible to remote beaches, you are quite likely to drive down a narrow road only to be met by a locked gate!
Also you cannot just drive around the edge of the island, so to speak, think of it a bit like the spokes of a wheel - without the rim. A bit of research with a good map will save a lot of disappointment and frustration.
Be sure to visit the interesting town of Cuitadella on the west of the island and get a meal at one of the harbourside restaurants in Fornells on the northeast.
hi

it is really easy driving in minorca. we went to cala n bosch 2 years ago and stayed in a villa not far from the viva menorca. just opposite the viva menorca is another pool with a water slide, and some trampolines and kids play area. it is called titanic. it also has a restaurant and it is free to use the pool area if you eat or drink there. the aqua park is fab, but it is a lot cheaper at 3pm. around half price! we went in the viva to change our money and they look nice. we are going back in june this year, but staying at the macarella apartments. we have hired a car through http://www.carjet.co.uk who were the cheapest by far. we find with two young kids it is worth having the car for the duration. carjet is on mahon airport too,so you dont have to wait for a transfer to the carhire station. I read somewhere, cant remember where, that there is a shortage of cars on menorca, and if you`re going peak season i think i would book it in advance. carjet give free child seats too. last time we had to pay for them. best beach was son bou. fantastic for kids, really shallow. cala galdana was a disappointment. beach very crouded and that was june, and very dirty. full of cigarette ends and rubbish, and its supposed to be one of the best!!!!!!!!!!! we stayed about half an hour and left. there is another water park too in cala n forcat. we didnt go as it was cloudy the day we went there. you have definitely picked the best resort, cala n bosch is brilliant.

have a great time!

trish
thanks trish and grandad, im really excited about going, have wanted to visit menorca for a while now just had to persuade the rest of the family
but im sure they will love it :) whats the goody goody park, ive seen that somewhere but not sure what it is.

fizz xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Fizz

If you value peace and quiet over night clubs and non-stop boozing, you should love Menorca. I went there in 2004 and fell in love with the island :D

As everyone's already said, it's an easy island to navigate, nice roads. We hired a car with carjet as mentioned in THIS topic. No problems with them at all (even though we may have left a bit of a scratch on the car :yikes ).

Enjoy Menorca! You will!

Pippy :D
hi pippy :) ive been reading your reviews today, infact i thought of you when i was looking to book it, im not stalking you honest :lol: not yet anyway, i may be shouting for you for infomation later :lol:

fizz xxxx
hi fizz

goody goody park, is a childrends play park where they have a pool and a smaller pool with a couple of water chutes.they have bouncy castles etc and a place to eat and drink. the resort is brilliant for kids. some of the restaurants have kids play areas so you can eat in peace while the kids play! heaven! there are a couple of arcades with games, and snooker tables etc. if you hire a car have a trip to the lladro factory. there is a pool there with a water slide, play areas, go karts trampolines, a cafe. worth a trip. its on the main road that runs through the island.

anyway, i`m sure you will have a fantastic time! we dont normally go back to somewhere twice, but i would go to cala n bosch time and time again!

trish
thanks trish sounds great, im sure my four year old will love it :)

fizz xxxx
Don't advise taking the 4 yr: old into 'The Lladro Centre' itself Fizz !!
But you'll find plenty on the Island to occupy you all.
If you hire a car, don't forget to have a look at our beautiful Mahon harbour. We're reasonably civilised down this end as well you know !
There's much good natured leg pulling between the Menorcans about the two main Ports. In Mahon the Cuidadella harbour is known as 'the puddle.'
Don't think that you'd like Menorca today Pippy. We've had torrential rain and gale force winds all day. Plus here in Mahon a very rare electricity cut that lasted 3 hours.
However my Menorcan husband assures me that the Island is in desperate need of the rain.
Promise it will be green, beautiful and very sunny when you all arrive for your holidays.
ahh thanks llull, im sure it will warm up soon, thanks for that :)

fizz xxx
Fizz

If you hire that car be sure to visit Son Bou for the day. Fabulous beach, great for kids but be warned, the further you walk down the beach the more is on display....if you know what I mean.

The resort itself is man-made, but has been done very well. Theres a lovely laid back atmosphere ( in keeping withe the rest of the island ) and is very family freindly.
We loved it so much, we went back 5 years on the trot.

Bob
thanks bob, we are hiring a car so look forward to seeing all the island :)
and will be sure to keep my partner away from the nudist beach, i may take a stroll though :wink:

fizz xxxxx
The nudist part of the beach is the Western end. That's what I read somewhere anyway. I wouldn't have known otherwise of course. Honest ! :oops:
i belive you robbo :wink: :lol:
Fizz

Sorry, forgot to mention Alaior which is about 3 miles inland from Son Bou. It's Menorcas '3rd' town and is well worth an hour or so wandering around the narrow streets and cobbled alleyways. Very pretty.
Alaior also boasts a very, very good ( at least it was up to 2 years ago ) restaurant called 'The Cobblers'. Supurb food in a wonderful setting, a courtyard that was the original town cobblers. Please don't ask me how to find it..........I still struggled on the 5th visit.... but it is signposted.Good luck.

You're gonna have a lovely time

Bob
Hello Fizz
Cannot fault your choice of resort.Calan Bosch is perfect for the first time visitor to Menorca,especially wih a little one in tow.The best tourist beaches are Son Bou,Santo Tomas and on the north coast Arenal d'en Castel.Cala Galdana looks good on postcards but in reality it's a bit scruffy.Make sure you visit Ciutadella,especially in the evening when the locals are out with their families.Try and avoid driving into the town centre though,it can be a bit of a nightmare.It's worth making your way to The Passieg Maritim,parking up and walking along the harbour into the centre.If you go to Mahon it's also worth parking down by the port and walking into the centre,it saves a lot of hassle.Get a good map and have a great holiday.
thanks jeffers and bob, i cant wait to go, the more i read of the island the more i know im going to love it :) we are going to hire a car so will get to look everywhere hopefully :)

thanks again, love fizz xxxx
hi there, me and my family stayed in viva menorca appartments, and loved it, my wife and 2 boys 5+8 years of age, found loads to do, theres titanic park very near by, there hire of bikes/ cars near by and if i can drive over there, then any one can, all i did was have a drive down the side streets till i got use to it, theres goody good park, theres boat trips, we are going back in sept so it most be good, by the way i,m the one who going 2 the nudie beach ha ha cant wait. the pool in viva menorca is very deep so keep a eye on the kids, there is a toodlers pool as well, the entertainment is ok for the kids during the day ok on the night, if there s anything you need to know, let me know, cheers ant
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.