Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
Its about 5 years since we were there the hotel consists of the high rise main hotel and the low rise annexe we stayed in the main hotel which had better ratings plus you only got beach towels there you could use facilities at either. The main hotel is direct on the beach, the clientel were predominantly German the rooms overlooking the main hotel pool lookong South get more sun.
Thanks nickmacuk,

With the exception of further rooms added to the annexe at the Oliva Beach, and changes to the garden / sunbathing area, little would appear to have changed. Have now checked when we were last in Fuerteventura (at the Tres Islas) and it was 14 years ago!

Do you (or anyone else, please) happen to know what mobile phone reception is like? The hotel's wi-fi seems to be slow, available only near reception and expensive. 3G would be great so that we can, at least, get e-mail regularly or tether our i-phones to other devices. Perhaps Glynis has some up to date info?

Cheers

Peter
Hi Pete
I think you are going off on holiday as Glynis is returning from hers
Sorry I can't help Pete , but Riu Oliva is a blast from the past for me , we went there 18 years ago :)
We had a week at the apart hotel , which was great and then booked 2 weeks at the Oliva Beach hotel , never did make it to the Tres Islas !! Don't know what phone reception would be like ;) when we went we thought we were up to date taking our Sony cassette Walkmans !!! Jeez , don't you get old quick :rofl
andy66

Jeez , don't you get old quick

Duh - don't know! Can't remember being any younger.............

Oooh - when I look at photographs, there are definitely less wrinkles

;)
Well, we have been and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with 2 grandchildren. Thought it excellent value for money and had none of the problems highlighted on other forums. We do not normally stay AI, nor in hotels of this rating, preferring 4 or 5 star. We needn't have worried.

May post a review, but still await my review of a hotel in Chiang Mai (dated 2nd July) to appear. It is not worth doing them if they are not posted in a timely fashion. Perhaps Facebook or Twitter is the only way to get noticed now. :que

Cheers

Peter
Glad you had a great time Pete :tup

Was it windy? I'm taking hubby to Fuert next year in the hope that it's windy as he's not too keen on the heat. However my friend was in Corralejo in June and said there wasn't really a wind.....oooops I could be in deep doo doo :duh
Hi Glynis,

This was our 5th time to Fuerteventura, we normally stay at the Riu Tres Islas next door, but the last time was 14 years ago! We have traveled in September or October, previously, and we have always had a breeze, once or twice a little too strong!

Yes, it was breezy on this trip, but never unpleasant, on 13 of the 14 days. On our last day there was a just a gentle breeze, just sufficient to take the edge off the temperature (but only just!).

It would be fair to say that we never suffered from wind! :tup

Gosh, how the island has changed. We first went there in 1987 and Corralejo was only one donkey above being a one horse town. We were surprised at the development there and also of the number of new builds that appear to be "on hold". There has been quite an environmental fuss, I believe, as the southern and eastern development in the town has disturbed the wind pattern significantly enough to have prevented the dunes in the National Park from being rebuilt seasonally by the wind. Indeed we noticed lower dunes and more scrub vegetation.

We really love the beaches. :sun2

I am sure that hubby will enjoy a visit. Try the dunes beaches in the National Park. It is only a short bus trip from Corralejo town or just over 6 Euros by Taxi. You can access the beach from the roads leading to Tres Islas or Oliva Beach (It is closer than trekking from the main road). If you wish to travel light, you can save on bathing costumes a couple of hundred yards from the hotels - and it saves trying to dry them out in that sand :oops:

Sun beds and shades are available for 3Euro per item per day - a good investment as it keeps the sand out of the unpleasant places and provides shade (or if the shades are angled, protection from the wind).

We flew from Gatwick on Norwegian air shuttle - I can thoroughly recommend.

Please bear in mind, if traveling just as a couple that should you choose to stay at the Tres Islas there is not much to do in the evening, or if you want to go AI at Oliva Beach there can be a lot of children / families with entertainment aimed at them. It is always nice to eat out and this means Taxis to / from town.

Enjoy!

Peter & Janet
Thanks Pete :tup

We've got our accommodation booked its a private apartment on the Oasis Royal complex. I stayed there earlier this year for a week and it's a canny place, very quiet as no bar, reception etc. It's just off the High Street so handy for the Spar supermarket etc.

I didn't get to the sand dunes it am sure I will do next year with hubby. :tup

We are thinking of hiring a car as I like to get out and about to see what else the island has to offer. Plus it'll save on transfer fees to and from the airport ;)
Glynis
If you are hiring a car I would recomend you get a copy of Noel Rochfords Sunflower guide to Fuerteventura its got loads of information and maps for walking or car touring routes. Its one of the first things I pack when I go. :sun2
Review of Hotel Posted

In view of the assistance given by HT Admin, I have actually completed a review of this hotel very quickly.

This can be found (when approved) at http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/canary-islands/fuerteventura/corralejo/club-riu-oliva-beach-resort-hotel/

I hope that this assists others, as we were getting a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks and regards

Peter
Hi Peter,

Your review was approved about 10 minutes after you submitted it and is showing now.

Thanks for the review :)
Cheers, Phil
nickmacuk wrote:
Glynis
If you are hiring a car I would recomend you get a copy of Noel Rochfords Sunflower guide to Fuerteventura its got loads of information and maps for walking or car touring routes. Its one of the first things I pack when I go. :sun2

Thanks Nick I'll take a look. Do you have any car hire company recommendations? Would prefer take it back with same petrol amount.
Phil,

Many thanks - I've now re-read it - sorry for the typos :oops:

Cheers

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.