Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hello Sanji,
Hope you have a better experience than our first from Donny only 1 flight out but still 40mins late.
Wizz Air will commence a new 2 x weekly flight from 31/01/08 to Poznan in Poland. This will be their third destination from the airport as they already serve Katowice and Gdansk.
Anyone flying from doncaster on the 24th december to sharm el sheik with thomsons? what is airport like is it.. big and have plenty of shops. Is it easy to get to from midlands? Appreciate any info. thanks

EDIT: Merged with existing 9 page topic, which may provide some useful info
David HT Mod
Donny is not that big and airport and there are only a few shops. It depends where you live in the midlands as to how easy it is to get to. At the minute, there is a new exit road being built so that you avoid trogging through Auckley Village, and at the minute this has added time on to our journey as we have to go through Austerfield and a host of other villages. We only live 10 minutes away normally!! Checking in is easy and there are only 3 main departure gates, although i expect the airport to be reasonably busy in the Christmas period. There are a few eating establishments upstairs but these are pricey for what you get. There is a newsagent and a duty free shop with fags, perfumes etc in plenty of Costa Coffee's. Downstairs, there is a Spa shop and a bar right at the end. Generally, the airport is clean and well looked after. We have flown from there a few times and wouldn't want to go from anywhere else really. Happy Holidays!
we are flying from here next year, and have a 7am flight.........will anything be open about 5am when we get there?

thanks
Even though I live near to the airport, I flew for the first time from Doncaster to Malaga in June.
What a complete disaster, :twisted: the flight was "diverted" to Coventry, even though Thomson knew the day before that the plane wouldn't be there, as it had technical problems and was going to be grounded in Spain for 80 hours.

There is "no back-up" at Donny and I couldn't figure out why they bussed me across the country to Coventry. when the empty replacement plane could have landed at Donny, just as easy as landing at Coventry. :roll:

I always suspected that it was cheaper for Thomson to take the passengers half way across the country, rather than pay the landing fees at Donny and it seems my suspicious have been given some substance.

The airport's not "breaking even" and there's no competition in there.
What a shame :cry: I had such high hopes for it and what a waste of a great opportunity to expand, but as I suspected, the prices are too high to attract other airlines and as Thomson are the main airline at Donny, they have Coventry to move passengers/aircraft to, when things go wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7042362.stm

Sanjiiiiiiiiiii
Yes things will be open for eats and coffee,papers etc. its a cracking little airport.
All airports have some problems,so dont let other peoples problems worry you too much!!
Ive had no complaints and will fly from there again in December.
I've flow out plenty of times and not had a problem. Everything is open early, there is a Weatherspoons pub just after security which has a great view of the airfield and does some good food deals - especially on a breakfast. Its nice, spacious and relaxing so there isn't the hussle and bustle of places like Manchester. The airport is well signposted from the motorways.

The below is a good visual link to the terminal layout.

http://www.egcn.co.uk/terminal.htm
  • Edited by egcn 2007-11-18 13:07:46
Thomson have announced new flights from the airport from Summer 2008.

Kefalonia is a new destination and Pula and Bodrum are back after not being available last summer. Goldtrail Holidays have also added Dalaman.

Travelscope have added a one off departure to New York for 25th November 2008 - 29th November 2008.
Wizz have announced a new flight to Warsaw, starts 01 April 2008 - 3 x weekly
sorry its taken so long, thanks for the replies,

as we usually fly from manchester it will be quite nice to use a small airport.....

thanks again
Hi

Flying from here on the 16th, but as it's a good 2hr journey for us, we wanted to get close to the airport and then stop and have a decent lunch somewhere. Could be a pub lunch or somewhere like Frankie and Benny's, just so long as it caters for children, but with more than nuggets and chips to offer- my eldest hates chips, loves steak and salad!! Does anyone have any suggestions? Alternatively is there anywhere at the airport that would fit the bill, without astronomically inflated prices? We are travelling up from the south if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Pam :)
dont think you will get anything cheap at the airport ,in fact i know you wont :D

Bawtry might be your best bet ,plenty of pubs there (some decent ones for food ),cannot think of names of them off the top of my head ,will look round
Bawtry only about 10/15 mins from airport
here`s a couple
http://www.granbyinn.co.uk/
http://www.crownhotel-bawtry.com/restaurant.asp

guessing here you will come up the A1 ? if so come off there at the A614 (roundabout) and your 5 mins from Bawtry
think its called 5 lanes end ,be aware though there is loads of road works going on round there
Thanks Lincoln Imp for your help- don't know if it makes a difference, but the AA route finder takes us up the M1. Does that mean we will be the wrong side of the airport for Bawtry?

yep it does going M1 ,does it then say M18 ? ,just stick in auto route via A1 ,see what the difference is ,would guess you would get on the A1 at stamford ,i bet milege wise it would be shorter

will have a look the M1 way ,see whats what

114 mile via M1/M18
93 mile via A1 :tup
Hiya- yep it is M18. I'll be interesting to look at the timings- Kettering to Stamford is a pretty slow route, probably 45 mins to get onto the A1, but we can do M1 in 20. Thanks for all your help Lincoln Imp- really appreciate it.

no problem ,glad to help
just looked ,timings about the same ,suppose it all depends on time of day
if you still want to use the M1 then you could always follow that route but go in Bawtry ,like i said its only 10 mins from airport
not sure whats on route the other way ,might be some good pubs ,hope someone else can help that way on
Thomson have added Kos as a new destination for Summer 2009 from Doncaster Airport. Also Sharm El Sheikh is now a year round destination after having previosuly operated during the winter season only.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.