Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Singapore
59 Posts
We went for 2 weeks back in 1988 and still never saw all of the island.Its an amazing place.I had to buy 2 large suitcases there to bring back all the stuff I bought there!.I would love to go back but I couldnt do the long flight now.
Hi Fiona

The Night Safari is a must, as is afternoon tea at Raffles. Chinatown rates a visit and we enjoyed a visit to Chinese Garden, Jurong Bird Park and Sentosa. Eating in Boat Quay, Clark Quay and Newton Circus is amazing. During the day there are enough food centres around and you can eat very cheaply. Arab Street and Little India have good shopping opportunities and the Botanical Gardens up in Tanglin are very relaxing.The MRT is the only way to travel. Have you tried the air conditioned street near Bugis Junction? The whole steeet is air conditioned! One of the many beauties of Singapore is that everything works. Athough that is not always first consideration for a holiday, it is clean and safe. One of the few cities in the world where I could feel comfortable on my own. As for the shopping? Another thing I have heard said is "If you can't buy it in Singapore, you can't buy it anywhere".
The Night Safari is something we have not done yet- just ran out of time. Havent been to the Chinese Garden either. I never knew about the airconditioned street- wouldn't care but we went to where Bugis street was( hubby reliving his earlier life!!). If I had known about I would def had gone. It was so humid when we were there in the summer! Both visits have been summer- when have you found it to the most pleasant time?
There is some really useful info in this thread - many thanks...

:D
Would love a trip report!
Hi Fiona

We have been to Singapore in August, September October and December/January. On the latter occasion we spent Xmas 1999 there and stayed for the change of Millennium. The shopping centres were very busy on Xmas Day. It was amusing to see all the snow scenes in the Xmas decorations. On New Year's Eve our hotel issued us with party hats, etc, but also torches in case the millennium bug turned all the lights out. I don't think you will get any time that is cooler or less humid than any other time. It is either wetter or drier, depending on the monsoon season. However, the good thing is that you are never far away from air conditioning. Even at the zoo they have air conditioned shelters where you can spend a few minutes cooling down. They even have vending machines in the shelters dispensing cold drinks. I remember once when we had been browsing the shops on Orchard Road and walked into Tang's. The air conditoning hit us as soon as we got through the door and it took our breath away, similar to jumping into icy water on a hot day. I wish I could remember the name of the air-conditioned street. Basically, they have put a see-through ceiling over the whole steet, put flexible doors at each end and then turned on the air conditioning. A unique experience! We have found that they do like to change things. I suppose it is due to the fact that the country is so wealthy and they have the money to do it. We were staying in Traders Hotel one year and I think it was the Marco Polo hotel nearby. Anyway, the Marco Polo was quite new but when we returned the following year they had knocked it down and were building another. We heard it was because they thought the original hotel was haunted. Singapore suffers from lack of land and so they have reclaimed a lot. The area around Marina Bay, including the Pan Pacific, Oriental and Mandarin hotels, is all built on reclaimed land. We have not been since they opened the new concert halls but that area used to contain the Satay Club. The building work forced it to move to Clarke Quay, and now you say it has gone altogether. What a shame! We had many a pleasant evening at the Satay Club, at both locations.
Re humidity- we gave up at the Bird park as we couldn't seem to walk a few metres without becoming drenched in sweat and seemed to spend our time trying to find the A/C rather than looking at the birds. Fort Siloso was also a killer- going from one set of buildings to another. However, during tha visit we had quite a downpour and afterwards it was so much better!
For most of what you want to do, the humidity is bearable- eg walking in the shadows of buildings, going from one place to another. Where there are problems is when you have to walk quite a lot without any shade(eg the two places I mention)
For those going to the zoo you can take the shuttle bus round it- getting on and off when you want. That way you don't notice the humidity. The bird park has a monorail but you still have a bit of wandering about to do. Both places are great!
The humidity can be uncomfortable and it hits you like a wall when you walk out of the airport. Generally speaking, people are not there long enough to acclimatise but I think it also depends on the person. Some can cope with it and others find it overpowering. Depends on your physiology I suppose. The only advice I can give is to ensure that you have enough changes of clothing, made from natural fibres, e.g. cotton, take things easy, drink lots of water and try to be reasonably fit before you go. I suffer from asthma and the moist, humid air is good for me, whereas the air conditioning isn't.
An alternative to afternoon tea at Raffles, or for tea on another day try tiffin at what used to be the Westin Stamford(forget what its called these days). Seventy floors up superb views across Singapore to Indonesia.
Oh I see its a Swissotel the Stamford these days.
something else I haven't done!!
The Changi War Museum just by the airport is well worth a visit and very very moving. :cry:

The Changi War Museum just by the airport is well worth a visit and very very moving.

yes it is- very moving. I came away wondering why any Singaporeans can like the British! I almost came to grief there- we were being told stories of some of the punishments and I began to feel very faint and had to sit down!
However, when we went a year past summer we were told that they were moving the museum to a more convenient location(??- just like Singapore isn't it?) Does anyone know if it has moved yet?
Post your favourite restaurants. We don't have long here, so need to know where to go.

Thanks

:D
Royal China, Raffles Hotel.
Doc Chengs, Raffles hotel
we were there november 2005 and it was still near the airport.
Have you been to Singapore in the last two years and would you be willing to write a hotel review for us? This is a new forum and I would love to add to our hotel reviews page as I know that members find them invaluable in my more established forums. Have a look
here to see if your hotel is there. If not, just post here and I will ask admin to add your hotel. Thanks!
Hi Fiona stayed at raffles last Nov and would be glad to write a review if you add it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.