Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Yes Drifter is a good hire company. Pity about the excess charges though :?
I am looking for taxi transfer from airport to Qawra and back in March, I used to use a guiy called Jos Car Hire in Mosta, does anyone know if he is still in business and if so have they got an e-mail address for him. Otherwise anyone got any good recommendations
Cheers
Just come back from Malta and booked a car with Economy Car Rentals (Pangosmio) who tend to use different car hire companies depending on what time of day you land!! Our car came from Swan Sea Hire company and I have to say that whilst the car was (hopefully) roadworthy it was the tattiest car we have ever hired on our trips abroad!! The back passenger door would not open so fortunately there were only 2 of us. In the glove compartment were two half empty bottles of drinks and rolling around under the seats were a jar of olives and a bottle of coke! It obviously had not been checked over between rentals. The only good thing really was that you only paid for half a tank of petrol although the car - a Matiz did seem to be quite thirst on fuel - probably due to the fact that a lot of driving in Malta has to be in the lower gears.

We would not use this company again - but then we would not drive in Malta again, there are far more cars on the roads and the state of the roads is getting worse!
We can highly reccomend Upfront Chauffer hire as an excellent, reliable, trust worthy, honest, and cost effective taxi service in Malta, we always use them and they are first class, the telephone number is 00356 7933 1187, the chap to speak to is Fredrick Schembri.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Pippa,

I always book through Economy Car Hire and it always gives me a choice of rental companies such as Aquarius, Budget, Swan e.t.c. The prices vary between all of the companies but usually no more than 15 euro for a week! So given that choice I usually book with the biggest most reliable hire companies on offer! Which is normally Budget.

Don't blame Economy Car Rentals.com for your choice of rental companies, as you have stated the car came from Swan. :que
  • Edited by m&n 2008-05-28 10:24:29
I'm not blaming Economy as I realise they are only a brokers. We were not given any choice in car rental company so ahd to go with Swansea anyway. I also realise that Malta does not have the best cars in the world!!!!

Pippa
Hi Pippa, That sounds like my car, The roads are bad at the moment due to the amount of heavy rain lately, they will be fine again once the men fill the holes up with stones again, that will be before the summer or the Queen visits whichever comes first. Glad you enjoyed yourself anyway, regards, Dee.

Peacake
I use Aquarius Rent A Car in St. Paul's Bay, very friendly service and reasonable prices.

I was thinking of using them , do they keep a £200 retainer on your card and would you say they were honest .
Just returned from a short visit to Malta.

We pre-booked our taxi from Luqa airport to Bugibba (Lm7 - or €16.31 each way). Our hotel quoted us €50 return and many other taxi companies wanted €40 return.

We used a company called Star Taxi (based on the same road as the Cinema going down towards the "Square").

Their email address is: star@mail.global.net.mt

Good, friendly service.
Bang on time!
Will definitely use them again.

cwb
Just returned from a holiday in the Qwara Palace, used Compass Car Hire, Bugibba, excellent, friendly service, 16.50 euros each way, will definetely use them again
I used Ray Bezzina Car Hire this April. There rates are cheaper than a lot i have seen, sometimes by half. We booked transfers online and cancelled our return, because we got it over €7 euro cheaper with Ray Bezzina. Lucky for us we did not give the first company the whole two ways, like they wanted.

http://www.raybezzinacarrentals.com
http://www.raybezzinacarrentals.com

Just checked their prices and although they look competitive they do have hidden extras?
i.e
Excesses from car group A to group E is 400 euros
Also Additional Drivers (optional) There is a small charge per day. So if you are unfortunate to have a bump (Maltese drivers) ? then expect to cough up an extra £320.00

Be wary of these similar companies, the first gets my recommendation http://www.economycarhire.com. Not http://www.economycarrentals.com
i have been quoted 40 euros for a taxi for 5 from airport to st pauls bay by bluebird it seems expensive looking at these other prices, could it be a return taxi or is it because there are 5 of us? Has anyone used these and are they ok?
Rather than book a package holiday, this year we've booked the flight and hotel separately - of course this means we need to sort out our transfers from/to the airport. Our flight from London arrives around 2.00am on a Sunday morning at Luqa. Does anyone know if there will be taxis available at this time, or should we book a pick-up? And if so, can anyone recommend a reputable taxi company and advise what the approx cost would be from Luqa to St Paul's? Many thanks!
It would cost 10Lm from the airport to St Pauls, which would cost around 23 euro, and there are taxis there all the time.
Thanks

If you need any more information: customercare@maltatransport.com
Returned from malta having hired a car from Eurocar. Paid the excess to drop liablilty to zero. Car was inspected at pickupand certainly did not match the damage as shown on the paper work. Europcar were not that bothered!

Yes driving in Malta is "interesting" but no worse than many other places but the locals seema bit crazy tooting away at just about every hired car who lets face it have drivers just trying to get used to the crazy road system (like how about having signs before the exit road and not on top of it - that would be just like sensible perhaps?) Its not a if they cannot tell its a hired car as they have the stickers showing so I just ended up driving luiking the locals and gave them a bit of their "own courtesy" back at them... :D

Eurpocar were not at the desk on my return (4.00pm) then they were - but hey just ignored me so i just put he keys in the return box (no idea if that was what i was supposed to do).

2ns time to malta - must say probably the last - (and I am very well travelled) -thought the general; level of customer service was quite poor (apart from he hotel which was my second visit and we were very well looked after)

Nivsy
Post to m&n

Just checked their prices and although they look competitive they do have hidden extras?
i.e
Quote:
Excesses from car group A to group E is 400 euros
Also Additional Drivers (optional) There is a small charge per day. So if you are unfortunate to have a bump (Maltese drivers) ? then expect to cough up an extra £320.00

Be wary of these similar companies, the first gets my recommendation http://www.economycarhire.com. Not http://www.economycarrentals.com

How is excess a hidden extra? That is bog standard with every care hire i have ever used, unless you pay extra for a waver. Plus paying a small fee for an additional extra driver is not a hidden extra. Once again most charge you to add another driver to the car hire agreement. I think your being rather unfair in your post, as what you have said in your post is somewhat misleading to say the least. The hidden extras are when companies have a higher rate and say things are free and included in that rate, when in fact you are paying for them indirectly via a higher rate. Regardless if you use the extras or not. Even those links you posted, are loaded with extras.but like i said you cant call adding a driver and crash excess as a hidden extra, that is the norm and not hidden, they tell you there in black and white
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.