Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I will stick this at the top, so that any one with advise can post.
Hopefully it will save many repeated posts

Biff
I use Drifter. They charge 10Lm to Mellieha
Unless thats a return price, Lm 10 to Sliema is more than the rate posted at the airport, Lm 8 !
http://www.maltatransport.com/en/ptd/passengertransport/taxis/

I only pay Lm 8 to go from the airport to Cirkewwa (versus a posted rate of Lm 13), so you shouldn't need to pay more than Lm 8 max to Sliema, maybe even Lm6 or 7
As I said before I am quite happy paying ML10, knowing (as I just have done so) an e-mail to John, my taxi will be waiting, even if the flight is delayed and I will be collected from our flat, on time, for the return journey. :D
I like Bluebird Taxis and Sundrive Hire cars
I use Aquarius Rent A Car in St. Paul's Bay, very friendly service and reasonable prices.
Just back from Malta, Blue Bird were 8ML each way from the Airpost to Qawra.

My driver at the start of the holiday (Gorg from Mosta) was a great guy, full of helpful advice, and with the cleanest taxi you've ever seen.

I kept the taxi waiting on the way back (makes a change) but the driver again was excellent.

Highly recommended :D
Hi there, ha anyone ever booked online with travel supermarket.com. I got a quote of about £11.50 sterling per day including CWD. Is this good? I can't remember how much we pay when we hire locally
Be careful of excess payments £11.50 a day may rise to £15 or £16. per day should you want to cover yourself against the first 500Lm if you have an accident! CDW does not mean that you don't pay a penny :?
Hi ther, is there an e mail addy for bluebird Taxis? Also does the listed price at the airport alter depending wher the hotel is? ie. St Pauls Bay is listed at 8 lira, would it be the same tothe Topaz hotel?
http://www.economycarhire.com

I thought I would share this link for car hire as I have now booked twice with them. Both times they have beaten all other car hire companies quotes. Both times my hire car has been provided with Budget - no small outfit! The cost has been all inclusive for two drivers, No Excess whatsoever! Also the Budget Car hire booth at Luga Airport is manned 24/7
Got a quote from Aquarius which stated the following:-

"The car is Fully Comprehensively Insured with an excess of Lm150 in case of an accident or theft. To waive this excess, the fee is Lm2.00 daily, and if you have an accident, you will not be responsible to pay for anything".

On trying to book without the additional excess waiver I then get an email saying that they don't rent cars with excess so that the Lm 2 per day to waive the excess is compulsory!!

We have a policy that covers car hire excess on holiday car rental so do not need cover twice.

Needless to say we have decided not to proceed with the booking as we feel a little confused and a little unsure of this company.

We will look elsewhere.

Pippa
We used HotelClub.net just recently to book accommodation and on that site there is a link to another page on transfers.

I just checked with them for a private transfer in August and the cost came to £31.75, which seems a hell of a lot :( Saying that, we used them for a minibus transfer from Aswan airport to our hotel at 00.30hrs and we paid Eur18 (around £10 for 4 of us) so we were very happy with that cost :D

We booked a taxi from Bugibba back to the airport in February and paid LM7 for the journey (one way), around £11 :)

We used a company called Agius (they have a website also for car hire - AgiusCarHire@Waldonet.mt)
Tel: 00356 21575884

Regards
Cyprus100
Have booked with Economy Car Rentals (Pangosmio) who use Thrifty/Dollar at Malta airport.

Comes out at approx. £69 with no excess.

Hope they are ok!! One good thing is that you only pay a deposit (which is refundable should you need to cancel) and then pay the balance on pick up.

Pippa
if its for a week, thats fine
Hi Pippa,

The only extra payment that you have to pay is for a full tank of fuel. you then return the car back empty. Most car hire companies do this. Although with others you only get a half tank of fuel.

Saying this though they all charge more for a half tank or a full tank than the going rate! but I have yet to find a company that doesn't :roll:

At the end of the day you will be paying around £5 to £8.00 more than you thought.
Yes, it is for a week. We had to pay a little bit more as the office at the airport closes at 8pm and we don't land until 20:40.

I guessed that we would probably have to pay for a tank of fuel up front and return empty - we have had to do that on a number of occasions in the past. I expect we will probably use most of a tank though as we would like to visit Gozo again.

Pippa
think easycar are renting on malta cheapest i have found and collection at the airport not used them myself though but worth a try
siataukreg,

Easycar used to charge their customers for returning a car dirty. I don't know if they still do but if so then bear in mind the dust in Malta. :smokin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.