UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Van. i got really excited this afternoon when i saw you had posted again. .
i know i'm trying to cover a large area but lets face it theres so much to see. have you ever been to Essex i've lived here all my life and its got to be the most boring place ever!!

Nah I've never hd the plesure of heading South ;)
i know i mentioned Aysgarth but we won't go there. done that too many times and to me its only something wow after a storm.

Totally agree with you on this one. Such a big deal is made of Aysgarth Falls but prsonally I find all the hype slightly exaggerated!

the girls want to go to Brimham rocks but we'll only do that if we've got time. it doesn't really appeal to me much now.have looked on the web for Menwith Hill now that is strange

Spent many summers days at Brimham it's such a strange place but excellent for Bilberry picking in late summer :shock:

whilst out shopping i saw another book on walks around bittain and it includes a walk from Grassington - Linton - Burnsall so thats one we'll be doing.

That walk is along the River Wharfe and will encompass Appletreewick if you travel a little fiurther down stream from Burnsall...

i've managed to print off a walk for the great shunner fell that you mentioned we'll be doing that.

Hoping to do it myself in August if I find the time...

i've been to white scar caves before and it is good. the site you directed me to has a virtual tour so i'm going to show the girls. i know they will love to go there.

The virtual tour is excellent on their website...gives you a real feel for the place but you can't beat the real thing...another for August me thinks ;)
again if we've got time we'll see the ingleton waterfalls. we have done this before but to see so many waterfalls in one place.

Excellent little walk :D
little bit sneaky mentioning buttertubs pass. thats a bit further up from hawes. i know i'll go there we've got some great pictures looking into the holes.

I'll say no more except SWMBO hates the road...too steep a drop :yikes I'm a safe driver but that ain't good enough!!!!

my hubby always does too much driving when we're in yorkshire.i'm always like lets just go a bit further once i made him drive from aysgath falls to the lake district

I'm a fan of the lakes especially around Glenridding as Helvellyn is my favourite of all mountains to climb. Striding edge is fascinating and you just can't get enough of that view....The temptation is there to head West but I try to refrain as the dales have plenty to offer and you can easily get bogged down with a trip to the Lakes....

thanks for all your help. it really has been very well appriciated. medot.xx

You're welcome....If you need anymore info or have any questions just fire away and I'll see what I can sort....

I know you'll have a fantastic time and look forward to seeing and hearing all about it.....you leave before me so I'll be glued for your report and pics etc....

Regards

Van :wave
Just an afterthought....

Have you read a book by Barry Cockcroft called "The Dale That Died"?

It contains a lot of detail about a small dale called Grisedale which is located just outside Garsdale...After the station turning, heading to sedburgh, take the first right...follow the single track and then take the steep right hand turning....

Be prepared as someone will need to get out of the car to open the gates across the road....It's a metalled road so no probs for the car but this ios one of those hidden delights of the dales that no one else sees as it's unknown country.....

The book also contains details about what happened in the great floods at Grisedale and Hardraw....suffice it to say...Hardraw is not all it seems.... :? but that doesn't take anything away from the beauty of the place...

I believe there are a few copies of the book available second hand on Amazon at around £50 a piece....A lot of dosh for a book but it's out of print and therefore a rare find. I managed to get 2 copies a few years ago after a year of searching.....You'd certainly enjoy it....

Edit - Map link showing Grisedale:
Click Here

Edit - link to amazon - Dale that died
Van I was wondering how to amuse myself on the bank holiday, I think you've just sold me a drive north!!
hi Donna,
Long time no speaky ;)
If you're heading towards Hawes on BH be aware that it's a bikers paradise.....Be very careful driving along the A684 as they shoot around like a bat out of the proverbial.....it's bad enough on an average day but BH are notorious....

From Wakie....You really have the choice....head over to Bradford then Keighley and onto Skipton and enter the dales there or head up the A1 and in on the A684 for the Northern dales....

Either way you'll do well to set off early as BH can be lively...

Let me know what you fancy and I'll give you some directions and ideas..

Hi Van :wave
Works been manic lately, lots of very generous relatives out there at the moment, which is why I'm feeling the need for some big open spaces, clear the head and refresh it ready to go again...

I remember on the drive down from Glasgow we came across the dales (did A65 rather than A66) and I really wanted to stop and have a look in several places. Dad with a van full of my clutter wasn't so keen though :lol:

What I fancy is

Not too long a drive (1 1/2 hours ish?) somewhere I can go for a simple wander by myself as I don't think my friends can make it, so not too off the beaten track, but somewhere if its nice I can take a mini picnic and a book, but if its not somewhere I can sit in a nice pub for a bit of food.

I thought about heading to Harrogate, then Pateley Bridge or Grassington. Any suggestions on this?
Don`t know if they still do B & B, but we stayed at the village post office in Redmire last time we stayed in the Dales, rather than just a day out. Lovely room, very comfy bed, nice people, and right next door to the pub, a very popular place in the evenings! The pub also do great meals.
Donna,
I don't think you'll have a problem finding somewhere, I'm just concerned about your time frame of 1-1 1/2 hours from Wakie....

There are a lot closer places to you than heading into hte heart of the dales...

Have you considered Haworth or heading off toward Huddersfield or Hebden Bridge? You'll find plenty of open spaces around that neck off the woods and without driving for too long...

Ilkley Moor is a very nice place to take a wander on your own....Ilkleys a nice market town....Park and follow the river upstream for some lovely walks.....

Brimham has been mentioned in a post on this topic and you'll find that a nice place it's towards Pateley so on your route if you're heading that way....

Map showing Brimham Rocks here Click the minus zoom to get a wider location.....

Info on the Rocks here

The Bolton Abbey estate will keep you occupied for hours....link here Map location here again click minus to zoom out for location/distance from Wakie...

HTH

Thanks Van, now all I need to do is hope the weather is better than it has been today!!
ss
reckon wensleydale had its hottest day of the year so far today....
sss
hopefully tak some pictures over the next few days and post them on here, unless someone can host them for me
oh yes please do. i'll be waiting. thanks medot.xxx :wave :hyper :hyper
sss
http://photobucket.com/albums/y113/loates123/?multi=3&addtype=

here u go some are taken from last year, but did take some this morning and this evening
Oooo thanks for that more more. ps enjoyed the orlando photos tooo. brought back memories for me. medot.xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.