Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
re;john simmons
127 Posts
Don't worry too much Charlie. If you were only on the phone for 5 mins the call should cost no more than £7.50 + VAT @ £8.80. Bad enough I know, but it could have been worse I suppose.

luci :wave
Hi Luci,

Thanks for that...i feel so stupid! :(
Charlie, report it to ICSTIS:
http://www.icstis.org/icstis2002/default.asp?Node=34

The more complaints they receive about this, the more action they will take.

A 5 minute call would have cost £7.50. A premium rate call within the UK will never cost more than £1.50 per minute including VAT (premium rate numbers charging more simply don't exist).
Thanks everyone, we had a call today.
Hi oliver,
Have reported it...hope that helps.. :)
Firstly, let me say I am very happy to have found all your valuable comments via Google. My 69 year old grandmother received the same call via answerphone from Johnathan Simmons from 'Cruise Connection'. I am just thankful that's she switched on & immediately brought this hoax call to our attention. However, I cannot state how angry I am at such a call or the despicable man who orchestrates these lies. It upsets me that some individuals especially the elderly may be ensnared by this man's lies. Like many of you, I will be of course reporting the call to the relevant authorities. Thank-you everyone for your invaluable information regarding this grotesque scam.
Hi Reg and welcome to HT!

Glad you have found the information helpful and congratulations to your Grandmother for being so switched on!

How do you get one of those 090 numbers ? Are there no controls? Can anybody get one? We could make a fortune!!!
It will probably tell you on the ICSTIS site Maureen.

Hi Luci,
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D
Reg
Hi everybody
I'm not sure whether my recorded message was from J Simmons but it said I had definately won a cruise to Bay of Biscay - so is this a different scam? and what happens if you ring back?

Phone no. to ring was 09061 253231
and I dialled 1471 and got 001310 4645500 so I will give that number to TPS.

I have applied for Daily Express cruise offer and am waiting patiently for my voucher
Hi everybody
Not had the call yet but thought you might find the following link useful. For information on how to stop scams check http://www.consumer.gov.uk/consumer_web/scams.htm
it contains links to Royal Mail, TPS, ICSTIS ,Trading Standards and others.

'You can register your wish not to receive unsolicited messages by mail, fax, e-mail and telephone by contacting the Direct Marketing Association's Preference Services.
http://www.dma.org.uk/Shared/Consumer.asp

To stop receiving unaddressed leaflets delivered by the Royal Mail you can write to:

Royal Mail Door-to Door Service
Freepost
Beaumont House
OX4 5BR

Telephone: 0845 070 0702 '

Peter
Didn't know you could stop the unaddressed leaflets Peter, that's a handy one.

I just returned from holiday and found a very honest sounding message on my answerphone that didn't sound like a recording. He says 'oh, this is jonathan simmons from cruise connections and I'm phoning to let you know that you've won a competition for one of 10 spanish cruises. This is a geniunine offer, not a hoax, please could you call me back on 0906 1253221.' I enter lots of competitions and never remember what they're for and I didn't realise that 0906 is premium rate, so I rang back, but I got a message saying 'service is closed', sounded like a phone company message - do you think my phone bill has been charged?
Hi expeditionist and welcome to HT!

I have just dialled that number and a couple of the others listed and received the same message. I don't think you will be charged for the call.

It sounds as if the plug has been pulled on this scam, probably by ICSTIS. Well done all as it looks like HT people power has a result!

Just received this in response to my complaint to the service provider. Personal details replaced with #########

> further to your complaint to us regarding the "Cruise Competition" , I can
> inform you that we ceased the service in question on the 14th September
> 2004 . The case is now in the hands of ICSTIS who have ordered us to
> withhold all associated revenues from the Service Provider pending
> thorough investigation .
>
> Kind regards
>
> ###########
> Head of Regulatory Affairs
> Your Communications Ltd

Hopefully anyone who dialled the number won't lose out.
Hoorah!! Thanks Doug.

That pig Simmonds isn't going to make a penny :D

And it's very good to know that ICSTIS are actually investigating it.

Well done us!!!

Sue
Absolutely brilliant peeps!! :yipee

Thanks to each and every one of you as every single post was an inspiration to others to report this scam and save a great many people a lot of money.

Well done to all and take a huge pat on the back from me. :bow
luci :kiss
:D

Excellent news, who knows it could have been going to fund terrorist organisations!
I wonder if the service provider can reimburse the people that were charges?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.