Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
To everyone here who has said they are NOT TPS registered...

Just a suspicion, but perhaps you can rule this one out for our detective work;

If you move house the telephone number for the property does not become un-registered from the TPS.

So, could it be that in the last few years or so, you moved into a house or were allocated a reused NTL phone nuber that was already TPS registered?

Sue
That's a good point, Sue.

You can check to see if your number is on TPS at:
https://secure.dma.org.uk/cgi-bin/session.pl?reg_option=tps

(Putting in your number will not register you if you don't want to, there are several steps to complete).
Looks like Johnathan Simmons had a busy day on Friday 10th Sept. I received two recorded messages, one on my home line and one on my business line. The number on my home line was 09061253202 and made no mention of it being a premium number or of cost involved. The number on my business line was 09061253104, when he did mention the cost implication right at the end of the message. Funnily enough I did have a vague recollection of entering a competition to win a cruise, but fortunately I also decided to check up on google before calling and was delighted to find this site...very useful! Thanks AJ
PS I am also TPS Registered.
Thanks Oliver for the link to check if your number is registered with the TPS. I could have sworn I registered MIL's number, but apparently not. It confirmed that my home and mobile numbers are registered, but I still haven't had the call from Mr Simmons.

Welcome to our new members and thanks for posting. :wave
luci :wave
I too had a message left on Friday on 1571. I am registered with TPS, but I also have taken cruises with P&O.

My cruise is going round the Bay of Biscay. I didn't sound very tempting so I deleted the message.

:sun
Despite posting to the contrary, I have just checked on the link provided and we are, in fact, registered with TPS.
Hi all, I got this message on Saturday and we are registered with TPS as well. I've complained to TPS and ICSTIS.
Until I read this thread I must admit I didn't realise it was a recording, Jonathan sounded so disappointed that I didn't answer. :lol:
BTW what's a holiday? :wink:
:roll:
hello, my turn

the number that suave-souding jonathon told me to call was 09061253215

thank you!!!!!

:*

Edit to enable Smilies. luci - HT Mod
To all those who would like to post their own experience of Jonathon Simmonds here, it may be useful (if the bods decide to investigate) if you would include the following info;

1. Did Mr Simmonds tell you about the premium rate costs?

2. What 0906 number were you told to dial?

3. Is your phone number TPS registered? If you don't know, check here
https://secure.dma.org.uk/cgi-bin/session.pl?reg_option=tps
(just putting in your number won't register you, there are several steps to complete but it will tell you immediately if the number is already registered)

4. If you did call the number, (what did it say, we're dying to know!!) how many minutes did you wait for before hanging up? (The bods will want to estimate the amount of money people have been scammed for.)

Hope this helps,
Sue
:twisted: Delighted I decided to check out cruise Connection on the web and found this site. I think I must have been a bitty down the line from your telephone messages cos I had to ring 090 6125 3154.

I know there was a scam a few months back of people ringing in to folk and the message was recorded and if you pressed whatever # they said you were supposed to be re-directed. Sadly you got re-directed and stung immediately for £30 on you BT phone bill.

I think I may just copy some of you guys and tell trading standards. Any one know watchdogs telephone #?
Thank you, I may just contact them... :lol:
Good advice, Sue :)
The primary authority for dealing with these complaints is ICSTIS. This should be the first place to complain to.

Their complaint form is here:
http://www.icstis.org/icstis2002/default.asp?Node=34
Thanks Oliver
I have been on the website. We shall see what happens with all of this.

Cheers
Maybe I am naive, but I am staggered at the amount of people who received this call on Friday afternoon-as someone said on the Forum earlier, where would we all go!!!!

We got his 'charming' message on our business phone-it rang, but I didn't get the chance to answer it, just as well really. Like everyone else on here, we are TPS registered. I think they may have got our information from the Cunard mailing list, as we receive brochures from them.

Obviously his plummy persona is meant to make people think he is genuine, "if he's posh, then it must be legit" sort of thing-nice try!

Our offer was for a cruise around Spain, sorry, didn't make a note of the number. Also didn't get the bot aboiut Premium rate etc, as it cut out, they have put a lot of effort into making the recording seem as 'human' as possible-however, it all reminds me of the TV ad and the chaps who call on behalf of the Dutch National Lottery or whatever it is, who says "theres one born every minute".

Am really furious to find out a TPS number can still be subject to this sort of thing, and empathise with everyone on here. A superb site though-easily accessible via Google. Will post regularly, thankyou.
I agree Bran.. It is definately like that ad. It went through my mind also. There are just too many scams that it's making it harder for legit things. I once considered the Irish Lottery but is there any chance of winning?
Probably as much chance as ours..... dream, dream, dream... :roll:
:x
We had a call from j simmonds on Sat - glad we checked this site out before ringing!
We also checked companies house website - company is not registered (no suprise there!)
I know I'm a natural cynic, but I'm surprised how many people contemplated the notion of calling the premium number. Whenever I get told I have to ring an 09 number to claim something fantastic I *know* it's a scam.

Doesn't everyone? Oftel (now Ofcom) made sure all premium numbers start 09 for this very reason, it should start the alarm bells ringing when you see such a number.
I too received an e-mail from 'John Simmons' on Friday afternoon (10/09/2004) saying I had won a Spanish cruise. He left an 0906 number which after much deliberation I rang. All I got was message saying 'This service was discontinued on May 23rd 2003. So I've no idea what this is all about either. Keep me informed if you find out anything really interesting!! :hmmm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.