Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Maureen

Didn't you think for one tiny second that it was the cruise call you are waiting for? :wink:

For anyone who is registered with the TPS, you can complete your complaint online at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/tps_complaints.pl no need for email.

HTH

luci :wave
I forgot to say before, I am with TPS as well.
Thanks for that link Luci5!!!!
Yet another one to report - he sounded soooo bored!

Anyway, a quick Google revealed the truth!
Hi NormanM and welcome to HT!

The Truth, the Hol Truth and nothing but the Hol(iday) Truth! :wink:

Glad you were able to find us in time.

nutty

You're welcome. :tup
I also got this call from Jonathan Simmons left on my voicemail.
A free cruise round Spain. Different phone number 090 6125 3126.
No mention of premium rates - and I also subscribe to TPS.
I don't think I can be bothered to complain though.
ICSTIS is the body that investigates 090 numbers among other things. A link to their site has been posted already, but for anyone who missed it, you can register your complaint online at ICSTIS Online Complaints

Please ensure that you read the page in the link above before proceeding to complete the online form. Otherwise they may not deal with your complaint if you do not comply with their instructions.

HTH

Thanks for posting to let us know you had been called PeterB. :tup
I'm sure I heard of this scam a few months ago. I wonder why it has become so prevalent now?

9.40am saturday 11/09/04

My turn!!!

I am really looking forward to meeting all my fellow competition winners. It's going to have to be a very, very, very big ship!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Mr Simmons, whoever and where ever you are.

It's nice to know we didn't all come down with the last shower of rain, but I do feel sorry for all those who fall for these scams. I doubt that tps or trading standards will be able to do much about this "person" though.

Btw I was asked to ring 090 6125 3041
Cheers Cobbler! :tup
Trading Standards and TPS may not be able to do anything, but at least it will be recorded. On the other hand I believe ICSTIS can close down the 0906 numbers. It looks like he has a bank of them and BT will know who they have given the lines to.

Me too!

For anyone still wondering:

1 Jonathan Simmons doesn't exist.
2 Cruise Connection(s) has nothing to do with this scam.
3 The recorded message trick works because it can be the same for any answering machine. You won't get the message if you actually pick up the phone. Brrrrrr.
4 Lists of phone numbers can be bought or the scammer may just dial at random using an inexpensive dialler - an old hacker technique known as "war dialling".

The annoying thing about scams like this is that for a tiny moment you think it may be true. Then the penny drops.

By the WAY, I am Nigerian Prince Abdul Honorable Minister for Corruption. I have 500 MILLION US dollars seize from a CRIMINALS killed all in fight. I would prefer want transfer this money to My personal account. But my Fellow Government Ministers would not let me. So goodly, sir/madam, I am ask you open an account in your ESTEEMED country where I Transfer My funds and access. FOR THIS KIND SERVICE, you receive 20% COMISSION making $100,000000. Before I do this,you send me $5000 to cover Unexpected Administrative must cost.

In case you are lucky enough never to have had an email like that, it's another never-dying scam nicknamed "419" after the section of the Nigerian penal code which it contravenes. But in their greed, people have been fleeced for thousands.

Oh, um, this is not a hoax, it's genuine.

There! That proves it.

Edit to restore default settings. Please do not change the fonts in the main forums. Thanks, luci - HT Mod.
DO NOT REMOVE EDITS POSTED BY A MODERATOR.

Just trying to tidy the thing up, Luci
  • Edited by DP 2004-09-11 09:45:27
I have received the following reply from Cruise Connections:

Thank you for your email.

Our company has no connection with this person, although we have been
inundated with calls as the company name he is using is very similar, and
directory enquiries are unable to locate cruise connection - which I can
only assume may not exist.

We are also unaware of any free cruise promotion.

The number you have been given is charged at £1.50 per minute, and we are told lasts several minutes, and then asks you to call another number.
I would suggest that you either ignore the call, or if you wish to complain,
contact icstis - the premium rate number regulator. Their number is 0800
500 212 or email secretariat at icstis.org.uk

If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to
contact us.

Kind regards
Janet Metcalfe
Marketing Supervisor
Cruise Connections.

This is in reply to my email checking that they were aware of the situation.

I can't believe we've all been so lucky - first we all win a holiday and then we all meet by chance on this thread beforehand - it's going to be so much fun when we board...

My Jonathan Simmonds experience is blogged here: http://boakes.org/index.php?p=29
Just got it here too.

Message left on answerphone.

11.22am Sat 11th Sep.

Jonathon (sp?) Simmons
Cruise Connection

Exact message as the MP3 earlier in this thread, with the exception of phone number.

Edit: just registered complaint with ICSTIS and TPS (whom I too am registered with) via their websites.

Edit: Also complained to Watchdog
  • Edited by creed 2004-09-11 11:12:48
that's one digit out from the number he left for me - registering a complaint against that number with ICSTIS is sure to hinder their "business".
What a charming fellow - until you realise he's said it all to somebody else.... And I thought that I was special! :cry:

Thanks for this Forum - you've all confirmed what I suspected. My version of the message cut off before any call costs were mentioned.

ICSTIS site does list the number he gave me: (09061253117) in a block of numbers issued to Your Communications Ltd. Have registered a complaint on the ICSTIS site. Now for the Telephone Preference Service .... :lol:

Richard T
We also had this EXACT same message but with yet another premium rate number.

0906125 3209

From the postings I've read it certainly sounds like we've all received the exact same recorded message, although I think it's very clever how it waits for the answer machine 'beep' before starting. And how it cuts off if you pick up the phone. And how it changes the premium number every time.

Could it be that it's not a recording at all? Boring day for Mr Simmonds if so. :shock:
Anyway, we are also TPS. I'd be interested to know if anyone who has posted here ISN'T on TPS...

It must be relatively easy for a sales company to obtain the TPS listings? And create a routine that simply calls everyone on it? If this the case he's asking for BIG trouble when he's eventually caught. :oops: Surely the provider of the premium rate numbers knows who he is becase they must know how to pay him the profits?

Anyway, to summarise my experience:

Caller display said UNKNOWN
I did not call number - saved estimated £12
Found this on Google
Had lots of fun reading the postings - thanks to everyone :D
Reported the issue to TPS, ICSTIS and Watchdog along with a link to this site.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk
http://www.icstis.org.uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog

I hope we all get a mention on the show next week!

Sue & Gary
Just to let you know there's yet another newbie here! :)

I too had a message on my answerphone from Mr Simmons .. same as everyone else's .. please call 09... number for more details. I knew straight away it was a premium rate number and having done a 1471 knew it was a number from abroad.

Searched on Google and found this website .. Thank you Mr Simmons

Mel
(forgot to say, no call costs were mentioned in the message, hence the complaint to ICSTIS)
Well done all for having this thread - the only online reference to this guy that I can find.

The number he asked me to call was 09061 253211 - no mention that it was premium rate. I couldn't do 1471 as he wasn't the last person to call, but I assume he withheld his number.

Another avenue of complaint might be Ofcom, who regulate the telecoms industry in the UK. They may be able to take action against the company that has sold 'Mr Simmons' all these premium rate numbers for him to abuse.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.