Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I actually answered the phone before the answerphone kicked in, and although I didn't listen to the whole message I know he didn't mention my name so it could just be random dialling. My parents don't have an answerphone and they often receive calls where there is no one at the other end when they answer. Maybe the tape turns on after a certain number of rings. They were not registered with TPS but I filled the registration form in for them about a week ago and they haven't been bothered since. Apparently firms based abroad don't always check with TPS only those based in the UK are obliged to.
http://corporate.mpsonline.org.uk/shared/technical_desc.asp?context=TPS

That's the nicely formatted database that the TPS makes available, wouldn't be good for that to get into the wrong hands...
Brilliant! I thought the TPS was supposed to stop junk phone calls not encourage them. I also stopped junk mail and now you get it all addressed to 'The householder' so that doesn't count.
Concerns about the abuse potential of the TPS list can be sent here:
http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=Contact%20Us

Even if the TPS list isn't the culprit of this (it looks as though it is, though), this list looks rife for abuse.
I too was left the messsage on the answerphone this morning (around 11 am). The phone number to call was 0906 125 3120 with no mention of call rates.

Incidentally I feel a little ignorant because I don't know what TPS is and therefore think I'm probably not a member of it (or maybe my memory is just very bad!!!).

I'm very happy to have found this site using Google and saved money phoning the number as I was tempted. I've registered with this site so that I could post a reply.
Hi Karoberts :wave
TPS (Telephone preference service) info here:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk

HTH

Van
As with SO many others - I Googled "Jonathan Simmons Cruise Connections" and first got poor old cruiseconnection.co.uk - with their little note, and then this forum.

For the record, the number he left me was
09061253156 ( 0906 125 3156 ) at 1.14pm Saturday 11th September 2004

I am registered with TPS and have NEVER had anything like this since being registered. Logged a complaint with TPS.

I wonder when the law will change so that these guys actually get financially hurt for doing this, rather than slapped wrists and a load of cash?!
I suspect the calls originated from abroad, maybe America. And as such, the TPS will have no jurisdiction unfortunately.
Mr Simmonds left a message for me, too (obviously a busy man).

As my tel number is registered with TPS (INVALID URL I have completed the compaint form on their site. I did this a few months ago when I followed up another unsolicited call. TPS later contacted me to let me know that the (Bermuda-based) company that had broken the guidelines had been fined £15,000 - so it the system does work.

I would encourage anyone to register with TPS. It's free, and it has stopped the vast majority of unsolicited calls to my phones.
I posted a few days ago but forgot to say that I too am registered with the TPS. This is really starting to seem fishy.
oliver341:

I did 1471 and the number he had called from was 00131 0464 5500.

so yes - abroad is correct !

I reported them online to TPS and gave them the link to this thread for reference.
Got one too. I have now reported it to TPS, OFCOM and ICSTIS. I am now going to try and get BT - it seems to me they just sit there and collect the money, since they get a share of all 090 calls cost. It might cheer you all up to look at previous adjudications on ICSTIS - the size of the fines doled out might spoil Jonathan's next holiday!

How do you cruise round Spain anyway? I thought a big bit of it is stuck to France..... :lol:
Hi all,
Just had a thought. How many of us who have had a chat with Jonathan Simmons have also applied for the Daily Express cruise offer or any other offer from Rise travel? We are looking for the common denominator and it may just be that.
Welcome to all the newcomers. This is a great site isn't it?
:?
Had a call last Friday, suspected it was a scam. Thanks to this site in making it easy to check.
The number for me to call was 09061253105. Have reported it to TPS but not sure what they can do about scams like this.
We are not registered with anyone but still had a message on our answerphone this weekend. Our number to call was 09061253001 but 1471 was unable to give caller's number.

However, like many others, I have now found this great site as a result.

Perhaps if anyone with newspaper connections could put out a warning about this it would help those who are not on the internet. There are many vulnerable people.
Thanks Guys
I picked up Jonathan Simmons message from 1571. The number he left me to call was 09061253135 although he didn't mention who the call was for. I am also registered with TPS. When I rang 1471, the caller's number was not available. I thought it was a premium rate number so logged on to the Internet to try and find out more and found you guys. Until I read some of your messages, I hadn't realised that he had used the words 'genuine offer' - this was for a free cruise around Spain. There wasn't anything said about how much the calls would cost. Needless to say, I won't be ringing him.
As there are a few people saying they are not registered with TPS, I'm guessing that may not be the connection. Most people I know are registered with TPS now so I think it's just the odds of being registered are higher than not. As for any other connections, I have nothing in common with anything suggested such as P&O, Daily express etc. I think it's looking just like random / sequence number dialling.
Thanks to this web site and the reviews, I wont be the next victim of the cruise connections scam. I had the phone call Saturday morning, which was left on the call minder, but thought I would have a look on google and see if it was genuine and you guys popped up! Cant believe I was going to phone them. Thanks again. :oops:
Hello again everybody!

I just want to say - having checked out the latest messages - I really am perplexed how "Mr Simmons" got my TPS telephone number. I do not get "The Daily Express", I am not on any holiday brochure mailing lists, and I have never taken a cruise in my life.

I have just registered a complaint with BBC's Watchdog - thank you for the link.

By-the-way, a friend told me last night she received a 'message' from a woman's voice about another holiday 'win' - and this was when she picked up the phone. She realised it was a recording when the woman's voice didn't answer any of her questions!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.