Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Based on ricx48's info I just called Your Communications Ltd's freefone number (UK 0800 195 5000) - and spoke to Rory in the network support group.

Rory was very helpful and will be passing the information I supplied on to the customer account manager he also informed me that their client has purchased a block of 100 numbers, and that he had just received a similar complaint for a different number in theblock.

I also informed Rory that I had logged a complaint with ICSTIS.
A great bit of detective work there Ear1grey! Superb! :bow
luci :wave
Thanks for everyone posting their experiences. We all now know this is a scam. It's just a shame for anyone who does ring back without checking this out first.

I was telephoned 11.41 today and left a message identicle to everyone elses - I hadn't even guessed it was a recorded message. I dialled 1471 and of course was unable to know the phoner. The number to ring back was slightly different to the others - 090 6125 3119.

Incidentally perhaps he did get all MPS numbers - I'm on this service as well.

I'll log in my complaint with some of the sites already listed - thanks.

PS I had trouble logging in for the first time but after reading about other persons logging in :shock: problems decided to use the log me in automatically and it worked. :shock:
Got the same call this morning at 11:38
Call cost were mention
I am on TPS and this is the first cold call I have recieved for over a year !!
Same thing as everyone else, with the following variables / details:
  • - my premium rate number was 09061253065
    - my message had no details of premium rate costs
    - date and time of my call was 11/09/2004, 09:46

I think it's unlikely that he called us because we're registered with TPS - though I do think that's why we've all bothered to investigate and complain. Since other people have mentioned P&O and/or the real "Cruise Connections" company, I wonder if that's the real connection between us all - i.e. has Mr Simmons managed to get hold of the P&O mailing list?
To: JP
Re: Connection between us all

The last time I was on a boat was 1990 - and that was a ferry! The only holiday company brochures I subscribe to is Centre Parks. Any new company I use, I tick 'do not contact' - apart from Virgin, which was an accident.
Responding to JP's comment;

It is true that I have in the past been registered with P&O Ferries. Anyone else have such connections?

Sue
I too had a call from John Simmons - same details except the phone no ended in 3006. And it did mention £1.50/min.
Interesting thought about P & O -I am on their cruise mailing list as well!!
Glad I searched with Google even though I just knew it had to be a scam and there was no way I was going to give anyone £1.50/min of my time.
The information about the call being dropped if you pick it up is very interesting - a very clever ploy and probably explains recent calls which were the dialing tone when answered. I wonder who else is using it?
He must be a very sad person if he will only talk to answerphones and not real people!
Thanks for info.
Don
I had the same thing today, the number (formatted twice for search engines) is:

09061 253212

(forgot to say that I am on the TPS register)
Got my call today(was begining to feel left out) I am on TPS. The pause before the call charges will cause a lot of answer machine to stop recording.

Clear abuse of the 09* so another complaint on its way.
An update from my call to "Your Communications Ltd"... Rory, the network support chap, called back to get more details and has raised "an incident" or some such words to the same effect.

If anyone else contacts them (0800 195 5000) then it might be useful to mention that it's related to incident / complaint 154476.
Was beginning to feel unimportant until I got the phone call today!!! (same as when that scam e mail started going around from the widow of a rich nigerian looking for a mug to give her bank details so she could invest money!!!) Unfortunately, was so thrilled at being included in this latest scam, I forgot to get any details to pass on!

Gill
Hi all,

I just got a call from this moron on my answerphone - didn't get there in time.

I got the..

"oh, hi, hello this is Jonathan Simmons from Cruise connections here, um, well I was calling to tell you that you have won a free cruise around Spain. Um, this is a genuine offer, to claim your cruise simply call 0906 125 3194."

He's obv got a few numbers to play with.

I've just filled ion the form on the TPS site as I am registered too. Let's hope this eejit gets caught... not sure he will though unf.
We went on a cruise with P&O last year and we have also used the Dover /Calais route so that could be the conection.
Got this same call on my answerphone today - checked 'Cruise Connections scam' on Google straightaway and found you lot!
Same as most people - I'm TPS registered. I got the one where it's a guy who just says 'Oh...hi..hello, this is Jonathon Simmons from Cruise Connections here, um..well I was calling to tell you that you have won..a free cruise..around Spain.... um, this is a genuine offer, to claim your cruise, simply call 09061253198' then the phone goes down.
My 10 year old daughter was in the room when I played it and started jumping up and down shouting 'yeah, hurray' until I explained to her that it was probably a scam :cry: I haven't managed to read everyones story or what they're going to do about it yet but will come back on in a couple of days when I've got more time.
Interesting. I picked up the phone after 3 or 4 rings (I don't have an answer phone). The muppet gave me the spiel. So for some reason my call wasn't dropped when a human picked up - maybe it was a one off?

The TPS connection is a little worrying. It could be that the scammers have obtained the TPS list and are using that as their calling list. Incidentally, does anyone know how marketing companies check numbers for TPS registration before calling?
I'm still waiting for my call from Mr Simmons. :( I am ex-directory, but also registered with the TPS so there's still hope. :wink:

There was a message left on my MIL's answering machine in June that she'd won a holiday/cruise which hubby deleted as she was on holiday at the time. It sounds like the same thing so this has been going on for months.

luci :wave
I'm still waiting for my call from Mr Simmons. I am ex-directory, but also registered with the TPS so there's still hope.

It seems the TPS provide all the registered numbers on TPS in a formatted data file. That's fine for people who want to query the database for legitimate reasons.

However if this database falls into the wrong hands (which it clearly has), boom, many thousands of nice formatted numbers ready to be dialled by an auto-dialler.
Wow cannot believe all the replies in this thread since I lest checked earlier today.

Strange thing is we have had quite a few calls where when we answer there is complete silence then after a good few secs the line becomes dead. This has happened about 6 times in the last couple of weeks. Bet its Jonathan phoning me to tell me I had won this cruise too!!

The very sad thing is how many people are falling for this appalling scam. Lets hope a stop is put to this ASAP.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.