Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zante
241 Posts
pinkladywales,

I went on the shipwreck trip last year and the sea was that rough on this side of the island the boat was unable to stop at the beach. Georgous turquoise water though. According to people we spoke too back in the resort (argassi) this is a common occurence.

If you do go I'd recommend taking some travel sickness pills before you go (just in case the waters are very rough) as at least half the people on our trip (me included) spent most of it in the toilets feeling or being sick!

I'd certainly second Parkys tip of Kefalonia. We didn't personally go on this trip - the first one had put me off boat trips for the rest of the holiday - but every single person we spoke to in the resort who had been was telling us how nice a trip it was and saying it was a must.

Another option would be to go and see the turtles on turtle island. Its not that far from Laganas so would be ideal for you!
i was told zante airport was to be upgraded for 2005?anyone heard anything yet?
They have been upgrading the airport for the last eight years :shock: Everytime I go back it looks the same.

Sarah
Hi jessdale :wave
Here's a current discussion at the "zante forum"
http://www.forums.zanteweb.gr/showthread.php?s=&postid=22586#post22586

The baggage carousel (photo1) that has been moved :shock:
about the only update we're aware of for 2005
http://www.hcaa-eleng.gr/zakphoto.htm

if you check back on the above forum some photo's of the NEW terminal may appear in the future..

paul..
Hipis, If you wish to advertise on HT - please check out the following link:

Kath HT Admin
I suggest you go to the shipwreck from Skinari rather than doing the full round the island trip which for me is far too long. The Blue caves are nothing special, try to go to Limni Keriou and take a trip to the caves in that area, much the same as the Blue caves but then you can have one day when you visit the shipwreck and another when you visit Keri caves.
The colour of the water at the shipwreck is fantastic but the beach is small white pebbles and drops quite quickly into the sea. There is also the smell of diesel from the many boats that go there, that harbour smell, but the colour of the sea is stunning.
PLW....
if you go on the boat trip to the shipwreck either take travel sickness pills 2 hours before you go....(as i did)

Failing this ask the barman to cut a lemon in half and sniff it continually...IT REALLY WORKS!(as my friend can confirm!!) :lol:
Is the tap water on Zante safe to drink or is the advice, stick to bottled?
I was there last year and the advice was the same as in any of the Greek islands and that was stick to bottled water, although I don't think it would matter too much either way. The ice served in your drink in a lot of bars and restaurants was apparantly tap water and it didn't give me any problems.

The bottled water is that cheap over there anyway its probably not worth taking the risk. Stick to what you know! Have a good trip.

Steve
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking.

We were in Rhodes last year, but they have water springs over there so whilst we drank a lot of bottled water we also drank some tap water without any problems.

I'll stick with the bottled.
Ice from the tap is okay to drink in a resturant but i wouldn drink the ice in the late bars and clubs. I did in argrassi last year and wasnt well after it i know you need ice in your drinks because its so hot but its not worh it ... have a good holiday ... :gluck
When we were in Zante last year, they recommended that you drink bottled water, but that it was ok to use the tap water for washing, brushing teeth etc.

Bottled water was so cheap, i actually used bottled water for my young sons teeth also....

Enjoy!

Karen x
Thanks for the advice everyone!

My boyfriend's parents have been to the Blue Caves and the Shipwreck, which they didnt like the shipwreck, as everybody said, it was impossible to walk on, but Ive fallen in love with the colour of the water!!!
hey all,anyone going to Zante on the 10th july?-i am :D ,flying from glasgow and staying at the christina apts,cheers Mark
hi im goin in june im afraid... cant wait
Mark 26

We are flying on 24th July, from Manchester. Is this just as your coming home!!

Have a good one

Ali
Hi Pink lady,

did the shipwreck boat trip a few years ago. we were told that the water was "a little bit choppy" but thought we could cope (big mistake!). It got rougher and rougher the closer we went and when we arrived the captain said that he couldn't get close enough to anchor but we could all swim to the shore from the boat. Most of us did without a problem as the waves carried us in. The beach was disappointing but the colour of the sea was fantastic. Then it was time to get back on the boat. What a frightening experience. We hadn't realised that now we would be fighting against the current that had so easily deposited us on the beach. As you started to swim the initial waves were pulling some of us under. There were kids on the trip too that some adults had to try and carry on their backs whilst swimming. Eventually my dad, who was one of the first back on board asked the captain to throw out a rope to help. We all got back safely, I'm happy to say, but we felt pretty sick after the journey back to shore. If you go make sure the sea is really calm and don't be as daft as us and swim to the shore.
been to Zante a couple of times and is one of the cheaper of the Greek islands, you should be ok with £400-£500 each easy if your self catering.
Regards
Tom :P
Going to Zante in 6 days :fly , is there any must do trips or places to see while we are there?
Many Thanks
:lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.