Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
we are going here s/c in sept 07, noticed its cheaper to book a/i once at hotel. read peoples reviews on one of these websites!!!!!!!!! were gonna do s/c 1st week then book a/i for 2nd week. as most places we've been too you get sick of same food 2nd week!!!!!!
Check out the reviews for this accommodation HERE

Kath HT Admin
just got back from the barcelo, stayed in the hotel side.

rooms were very small and pokey in the living areas, clean enough with a tiny fridge that you could fit about 2 bottles of water into. Bathroom was a nice size, but really didnt like having three single beds in a row with no seperate main bedroom - very clostraphobic. Not much more to say about the rooms - we were HB and didnt need anything in the way of cooking etc =- good job!

Resort was clean and the pool areas were nice - even if one of the pools is far too shaded - sun is at a premium on this one. The pool at the apartment side is more open and nice - not too busy at this time of year either.

The place had a lot of germans, and without wanting to sound racist its apparent that their culture does not demand as many manners as our own. Prepare to be stared at, barged into etc - especially at mealtimes.

Food was ok - bit repetative, but so much selection you will find something to satisfy you every meal time in the resteraunt.

My main gripe is the kids entertainment. Nothing short of atrocious. I saw two kids reps waling around the resort. And yes, thats all they seemed to do. We have a toddler and the most important thing for us was that she had a brilliant holiday. She did, but that was down to some of the kids we met there and our own plans for entertaining her.

She was soo excited about the kids disco. She need not have been. The reps didnt take part other than on 2 occasions. The stage (if you can call it that) is about 5 metres max away from the pool. Not the safest of environments by a long shot, especially as there is no screening and the closest point to the stage is the deepest part of the pool. You would think the reps/'entertainers' would acknowlege the dangers of this rather than make the kids run round the outside of the pool hunting for ping pong balls - they didnt, and over the week i was there 2 kids fell in - of a non swimming age. Yes you might say parents should keep an eye out, but it was mahem around that pool with the kids due to the reps and it is not on.

The kids disco didnt start until 8.30 - by which time most children are knackered, and I just cant understand it. Half the kids were falling asleep on chairs or getting naughty because they had had to wait around for so long entertaiing themselves (and each other) since dinner. When the disco did begin it had to be conducted in and around the stage whilst the entertainment team were positioning whacking great speakers and mobile lighting systems for the main act that would come on later - causeing more hazards and shoe horning the children into any area they could for a dance. The disco was then concluded as quickly as possible with minimum effort by a blond dressed a bit like a clown and with a booming voice that scared my daughter to death. I felt really sorry for the children, and although they did enjoy it they are not in a position to appreciate how much better it could be.

The main point though has to be the entertainment being so close to the swimming pool - i cannot stress this enough. Imagine a stage with chairs to the left of it and a couple of rows in front. They look to the immediate right - there are no chairs there because there is no space for them between the stage and the deepend of the swimming pool. If there is no space for a few chairs between the pool and the stage then this is not where you should be holding a childrens disco comprising mainly of tired 2 and 3 year olds. I watch my daughter like a hawk, but some parents dont, and even though I do I am no olympic standard sprinter should she decide to make a beeline for the deepend or walk backwards whilst i dare to look in another direction for two seconds.

I wont be going back, and have booked a second holiday at the Village on the Costa Del Sol because I feel so guilty that my daughter didnt have the best holiday possible.
We have also just come back (26th May) after spending a week there. This was our third visit to this hotel and though we had a good time it will be the last. The standards have slipped and the hotel is no longer what it used to be, I think the All- Inclusive option has altered this hotel beyond repair.
Also the hotel seemed to be half full of retired Italians who treated the staff badly, especially in the restaurant. They also always moved all the chairs around to ensure they had front row seats for the show despite turning up 2 minutes before it started!
I also noticed that people without the All-Inclusive blue wristbands were helping themselves to the wine, beer etc in the restaurant and they were never stopped by the staff - hardly fair on those who had opted to pay the extra.
I agree with the last writer about the pool being too near to the entertainment, especially when the entertainers played a game which involved all the children running around the edge of it trying to catch one of the entertainment staff!! Mad - obviously they havent got kids of their own and couldn't spot the obvious dangers. I also kept expecting the old Italian folks to topple in aswell in their haste to secure a front row seat!!
Overall though we had a nice rest, its the last they will be seeing of us!
I'm going to this hotel tomorrow..I hope I am not disappointed, the comments i've read recently are worrying me :(
Does anyone know if the hotel rooms have tea/coffee making facilities ie. a kettle?
No kettle when I was there July 06
No there is no kettle.

Hope you have a lovely time Sandy beaches - sorry to scare you! I'm sure you will have a good time. Let us know what you think on your return.
Hi all..I'm back, just flew in this morning..mixed feelings about the hotel..I will post my review tomorrow as I need a little time to ponder..

anyway...did anyone notice I brought a little bit of sunshine back with me :D
Ahhh but its gone back to Gran Canaria again already!
review has been posted :D

Its still a bit sunny in Glasgow :D
Thanks for the review, it's much appreciated.

luci :wave
Did you go all inclusive or half board?

Were the Italians still re-arranging all the chairs at showtime??
I went Half Board Prada, There were only a few Italians there last week so it wasnt so bad..I didnt like the entertainment but I watched from the balcony with a glass of wine (bottle bought from the local Spar) :D
I was really annoyed that the entertainment is always outside..its so loud! no chance of an early night, you were forced to listen as you couldnt avoid it.

Its an ok hotel, but as I said in my review caters more for german,italian and spanish holidaymakers.

I was glad to be leaving as a bus load of brits were coming in..tracksuit and trainers galore..some went straight in the pool with full football kits on :shock: :D
ha ha
It's definitely the all inclusive thats spoilt this hotel, there were a few like this whilst we were there (thankfully not jumpin in the pool fully clothed though!) We were only there for a week's R&R so didn't bother us too much.

Definitely wont be going again though, its back to Thailand for us.
Going back to Barcello next Monday (6 Aug) - does anyone know whether they still hire out the towels for round the pool and are they still as strict about stoppping the dawn sunbed grabbers (fingers crossed).
Cheers
Not sure whether they still do the towel service, everybody seemed to have their own, so it might be worth checking with the hotel first before you leave.
As regards the sunbeds, we were there in late May and the rule about not saving sunbeds has sadly been forgotten. If you want a prime position around the pool, be prepared to be a very early riser in order to secure one. (Another disappointing change about this hotel.)
You can hire Blue towels from reception..I didn't but alot did :D
Thanks Prada & Sandy beaches - that's a relief. We didn't want to take any as our baggage max weight has been restricted to 23 kg !!!!! (for each bag).

Was it bad round the apartments pool ? We are staying in the apartments, as we did last year, & it was great not having to do the sunbed/towel dash at the crack of dawn.

Any other recent changes ? We never bothered with the restaurant/hotel pool or hotel bar much as we were s/c and tended to head out of an evening - The Faro boulevard was great for classy bars and restaurants.

Fingers crossed those fires are out by next Monday.
You should have no problem with that pool, the rush for sunbeds was for the other pool where the entertainment and games take place.
Have a great time, I'm sure you will.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.