Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Have just booked a fortnight for the summer holidays - can't wait.

Can anybody tell me how far away the apts are from the nearest decent beach ie how long will it take walking with two kids, two lilos, football, picnic, beers, harassed misses etc.,

Also I get the impression that the apts are not right in the middle of the resort (which is what we want). Can anybody let me know are there decent international restaurants within walking distance - preferably not all Queen Vics & Red Lions !!!

Last of all does anybody have a link to a street map that shows where the apts are in relation to everything else. Have tried surfing the net but I keep falling off.

Cheers
John
Hi john :D We're off to the Las Margaritas in 2 weeks 8) It's a long way to the beach but according to the brochure there is a courtesy bus there and back, I think it's about 10-12 times a day, so you don't need to worry about a long trek down there. We haven't been before, but from what I've heard it's not too far to walk to the Yumbo centre. I'll tell you more when I get back :wink:
Hi Cyberspacekadette, don't forget to find out about the long trousers rule for me!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great holiday. :D
We're off to the Las Margaritas in 5 days :D Can anyone tell me if there are hairdryers in the bedrooms - or should I take my own? It doesn't say anything about hairdryers in the brochure :?:
Don't know about hairdriers but I would take your own, I always do. I have a travel Vidal Sassoon hairdrier thats really powerful, even in Spain.

PS Don't forget to check out the dining room for me re. long trousers!!! :wink:

Have a great holiday+Easter. Let me know all about the hotel on your return. 14wks tonight I'll be in the air heading there myself.
Just got back at 8 o'clock this morning - will post a full review once I've slept (bad night-flight, much turbulance and poorly tum from over-indulgence) :roll:
Hotel is nice, comfortable; from what I could see all the men wore long trousers at night, my son wore his jeans and was glad he had them because it was rather chilly in the evenings anyway. The entertainment is outside beside the main pool - which I imagine would be lovely in the hot summer nights, but I would have preferred them to use the big indoor suite (next to the disco) at this time of year, everyone was wrapped up in shawls, fleeces, woolies etc...
I didn't take a hairdryer, but there was one in the bathroom there, only a 1200 but it does the job, we had our Wet2Straights anyway :wink:
The bus to the beach does a circular journey several times a day: Hotel to PDI to Hotel to Maspalomas to Hotel etc... it's very far to walk to the beach :!:
Off to catch up my sleep now, I'll do a proper review and add my photos tomorrow :wink:
Welcome back.

I am surprised they didnt use the indoor room for entertainment. They used to be inside one night and out the next when I stayed.

Looking forward to reading your review, which you can add HERE

Kath HT Admin
Hope you had a fab holiday, looking forward to reading your review. Sweet dreams about ....... Gran Canaria!!
Finally got around to adding my review - I'll upload some photos once the HT server is back to normal :wink:
Enjoyed reading your hotel review. The food sounds great, infact the best part. 11 weeks tonight and we'll just be pulling up outside it.

Thanks
Thanks for the review cybers.....

We're on our countdown now - 10 weeks to go. We leave on 24 July and are there for 2 weeks - can't wait.

We have a few questions that maybe you can answer:

1. Are they still strict around the pool about reserving sunbeds. We hope so as I get up for work at 5 am and hate the thought that I won't get a decent lie in on hols.

2. Are towels available for hire round the pool. Would prefer not to have to pack them if they are available.

3. We're staying s/c in the apartments. Does the pool by the apartments get too busy?

4. Is there a best part in the apartment block. ie is there a busy road to be avoided or are there decent pool views from theses apts?

5. What's the noise like of a night time. DOes entertainment finish midnightish?

Hope you don't mind trying to answer these. I'm sure we'll have a lot more before we jet off.

Cheers
John

PS glad to read that you had a great time
Has anyone else stayed in the Barcell Las Margaritas recently - any tips of where best to ask for an apartment ?
Although we are going to this hotel all inclusive I would love the advantage of an apartment. Do you think if I e.mailed the hotel they would consider this if they had vacant apartments?
Does anyone know e.mail address of Barcelo las Margaritas Hotel, PDI please??
Here is the website. There does not appear to be an individual email but there is one for Barcelo hotels in general. Look at Call Centres at the top of the page.
Thanks for rapid reply Fiona. Have tried this one several days ago but had no response. Am sure did read somewhere throughout it that would receive reply within 48hrs but no response.

Thanks anyway. x
There is actually a separate website listed just for that hotel, but for some reason it won't open at the moment:

http://www.barcelomargaritas.com

It may be worth trying again in the morning.

David :wave
Thanks Davisd, I'll be sure to try tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks. x
Have just come back from 2 weeks at the Barcelo Las Margaritas with First Choice. Could not fault the apartments/hotel. The apts are in one block and hotel in another in fantastic safe landscaped grounds.

I will be posting a hotel report shortly so have a look in the hotel reviews. I'll try and add some piccies to the gallery as well.

My lads are 12 and 10 and had a whale of a time. There was always plenty for them to do and also all the younger children were kept entertained by either the First Choice who were surprisingly very good and the hotels own animacion team.

We were in the apartments self catering however when we checked in the receptionist gave us details on up grading to either b&b, half board or even AI, and they were all cheaper than if we had booked it through First Choice.

Would not hesitate in recommending as an excellent family base and will be looking to book again for next year.

If you have any queries pm me.
John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.