Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Re: Car Hire
103 Posts
Please be aware of car hire at Majorca airport and collect it from the multi story carpark,allow enought time to drop it off as last week when we got there it was at a stand still with cars blocked in every direction around the Record car hire area,the only way was to go out and come around again, cars were being left in in gangways and on corners so it was not possible to drive.I dont know how often it is like this but it does put pressure on you when you have a plane to catch.Out of interest it was not a problem to hire a car other than having to pay the the extra they are charging this year.
I went with Goldcar, they where great, got a new C3 for price of a ford KA, I had same problems though trying to drop off the car, people just abandoning their cars anywhere, only other problem I had was that the car broke down on the third day, so just called Goldcar who brought a Ford Focus instead with a full tank of fuel within two hours which again was a new car only 85 km on the clock, other than that it was a great holiday.
Can anyone recomend a car hire company with an office in either Palma Nova or Magaluf ? We only want a car for a few days next year. Thanks
Anyone who is considering hiring a car from Gold Car, do as I did, go to their website, find the price for the car you want to hire (which are normally very reasonable) then send an email asking for any better offers, it has worked for me, got a great deal on my hire car in Mallorca this May. Also if you have used them before you can get a better discount, saved around €40. I used this company last year and I simply cannot fault them, very helpful staff and not the rip offs like some of the other major car hire companies, also can pay by debit card which is a big plus for me.

Big Al.
Anyone used Doyouspain RECENTLY for a car hire?
Can you honestly recommend them?
Off to Cala Bona in afew weeks and got a very good quote from them and after an email they have agreed a full/full on a 5 day hire. Seems too good to be true, so looking for positives before booking. Never booked a car hire in Majorca so far. Which company do they usually use and does their "All Inclusive Prices" stand up well?

Robby :wink:
Hi Robby,
I had considered using them last year, but did not because they do not accept debit cards for payment and they are slightly more expensive than Gold Car, I think also they use companies like Gold Car and Sixt but i am not 100% certain
Hope this helps
BigAl
  • Edited by BigAl 2010-01-10 12:43:17
I had considered using them last year, but did not because they do not accept credit cards for payment

Thanks, have they changed this policy as I have the option of pre-paying online?
I've been quoted just over €52 for a 5 day hire if I pre-pay, or just over €56 to pay on the day.
Seems a good quote to me, Gold Car wanted a fair bit more. Is there something I'm missing? :que

They will let you pay the initial balance by debit card before you travel but they told me i would need a credit card to pay for fuel and excess at Majorca and for security reasons, to be honest they was not very helpful or polite when i talked to them.
BigAl
Thanks again BigAl, I've emailed them back to confirm everything before booking. There should be nothing to pay them for fuel as I will be returning the car back full. They advertise All Inclusive prices, so what were the "excesses"?
Seems too cheap to me. :think

Robbw,
Used doyouspain last october in Majorca,I had no problems at all,I had a car from Record, again no problems other than the queue to do the paperwork and leaving the car at the end,look for shrimper about 8 above .lots of small scratches but when i told them all you get is a shrug and we know don't worry !! If you havent hired a car lately watch out for the insurance, you are not covered for tyres,windows,keys, underbody,roof etc.They will try to sell you extra insurance for this.
Thanks shrimper, what were they asking for the extra insurance? Not something that can be added and pre-paid it seems.
I was more concerned about the full/empty policy, I hate being conned with this, getting charged around €70 for fuel when the car can only hold max. 40 litres and at around €1 per litre. Plus take it back with say a 1/4 tank and it shows what a con this is!!!!!!!!!!
I got screwed with this a few years ago at Malaga, so I'm always aware of this. I only really hire a car now when I'm in the Algarve, luckily I use a great hire company there who seem to look after their customers.
I'll await their reply and may opt for the pay-on-the-day option in case of any problems, I can just walk away then and get the bus. ;)

I wish other companies would do a full to full on all fuel as a few years ago but it is to much of a money earner for them.I seem to remember it was about 5 euro a day for the extra insurance but I had bought extra ins before I went so I didn't take much notice.After looking at several car hire firms and they all put the worry in my mind if anything happened I googled car excess insurance and there are alot doing it, I had a good read at home and sorted this for £26 for two weeks.It gave me peace of mind.Wilst we were sorting our car they were charging a lady 49 euros for two days, she wasn't happy
Thanks again shrimper. After a few emails I decided to take the plunge and have booked the hire.
So far they have been very helpful, though my initial quote was for a car from Record and on the booking it states Auriga Crown. On the booking voucher it ironically states a full/full fuel arrangement, though it states a full tank must be paid for and will be refunded IF returned full.
I'll report back in March with an update, hopefully it will go as planned and I can recommend Doyouspain.

We stayed one week in Cala Bona and loved it, if you like to be entertained try to see John you will never be the same again !!
We stayed in Cala Bona last year, was a lovely week in the sun in October, depending on where you are staying it can be difficult to park, we parked behind the London Inn most of the time. We are going to Play De Muro in June and the hotel have said there is secure parking in the hotel grounds.
Big Al
  • Edited by BigAl 2010-02-11 20:31:28
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of "Centuaro" car hire at Palma Airport? I have just booked a car with them through HolidayAutos, and I was surprised to find that the car will be a shuttle bus ride away, rather than being in the short-stay car park (on previous trips I've used Avis).

But the car hire section of Palma airport is normally chaos anyway(!), so perhaps this is a good thing? Anyone know?

Cheers,

Robert
With Centauro you get the cheaper prices because they are based on high volume, low cost and off site. Record although based at the airport again are cheap but have lots of customers so there are always queues to pick up keys, etc.

I prefer using those car hire companies that will meet you at the meeting point and hand over the keys, sign contracts within a few mins and you are off.
Never had a problem with the one I use http://www.croautorentacar.com/ and I use it 3-4 times a year. For longer stays though you will need to give them cash for the full tank of petrol. No extra for insurance,wheel damage, etc.
Hello all
I'm new to the forum and would appreciate advice on car hire at Palma airport please. I've provisionally booked car hire with Sixt during this years summer holidays. I'd be interested to know other peoples experiences with Sixt, particularly at Palma airport. Not sure if this is possible but I've booked a convertible and the group vehicles shown as available are the Peugeot 308cc, BMW 1 Series convertible or VW Beetle convertible. I have asked what vehicles they were likley to have in this years fleet but was told that they could not confirm the specific vehicle. If anyone has booked with Sixt and are travelling before August and could advise then I'd be interested to know which vehicles are likley to be available please. Thanks
All the car hire companies give you de possibility to hire a model, but they will never garantee. When you are at Sixt company at the airport you will see what get...

Regards, Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.