Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi laurag,

It largely depends on the car hire company and their policy, I always use Gold car and have only ever been asked for the paper part of the license, I still take both parts just in case though, they also ask to see your passport and ask for the hotel where you will be staying at and require a debit or credit card for payment.
When and where are you going in two weeks?, We go two weeks tomorrow.
:cheers

Alan and Dara.
Hi

Can anybody tell me if there is a car hire place in Calas de mallorca?

Thanks

Laura
Hi Guys
looking to hire car from gold car got online quote of £202 for 7 days starting 19th Aug.Getting confused with the insurance
am i fully insured with their cover.Or do i have to take out the extra peace of mind cover,if so how much extra will it cost us.
:duh any help or advice would be good thanks.
Hi heyes37
Having used gold car on several occasions I can tell you that if you pay by debit card you have to take out the relax insurance, that includes any damage to tyres, keys, underside etc etc basically everything is covered. The cost for you would be €35 for seven days hire. If you pay by credit card you can ask for the relax insurance or have a deposit applied to your card.
As I always pay by debit card I always pay the relax insurance plus it give peace of mind that should anything go wrong I will not pay anymore. Don't forget you will also have to pay a fuel charge which varies from car group to car group.
if you would like any other info just ask or pm me.

Have a great holiday

Alan
Thanks Alan for the reply.Will go with the gold car quote its for a belingo.I drive one everyday with my job and know at the pumps at min costs around £65 to fill with deisel and will do 400+ miles.So just useing it for a runaround for a week gold car
will make a few euros out the fuel.Why carnt these car hire firms just say here's the price all inclusive no more to pay,but suppose thats just to simple.Also they can make extra money out of people like me who read what cdw ect means and feel it might as well be written in Russian.Thanks again will post on our return how we get on. :tup :cheers
Can anyone tell me if Valla Cars are still operating from the multi-storey car park at the airport? We used them last year and they were very helpful during the volcano crisis letting us keep the same car we had for extra days when we couldn't get home. Their website is still there but not working properly.
If they are still in business does anyone know their email address? Thank you
I know this is a really stupid question.But haveing holidays in the Usa for past few years,are the petrol
pumps same as Uk.ie green for unleaded :que cheers guys
hayes37

Simple answer yes, the pumps are the same in Majorca as in the UK, Black for diesel and green for unleaded.

Alan
Hi BigAl.
I have booked a car with Goldcar but when the confirmation email arrived it had the wrong car group, we asked for a group F but they have set the reserved car for a group R which is far too small for us.
I have tried using the contact us form but never get a reply, I was wondering if you know how I can contact them direct.

Katie
Hi NWLass,

I am having problems contacting Goldcar too, my normal contact does not answer any of my emails, I asked for my booking to be changed as we will need the car for an extra day, but nobody has replied and I have been trying for well over a week now. They will be very busy at the moment being the height of the season, but that does not mean they should ignore other customers.
I have had a look and see you asked for an estate car but the reservation is only for something the size of a Fiat Punto, we had a punto in June and advise anyone that unless they only have one suitcase to book a bigger car.
Give Goldcar a bit longer if your travel plans allow, they will get back to you soon, if not try a different company.
I have looked at Vanrell who seem a bit cheaper but do not get very good reviews.
To be honest this is the first time I have had problems like this with Goldcar.
Try this email: info@golcar.es or cs@goldcar.es
Let me know how you get on with it all.

Alan
Thanks for the fast reply BigAl.
I will send to those emails and see if anybody replies, I forgot to say that the reservation is still stating the price for a group F car, we need a big car as there are five adults going, we had considered renting two smaller cars but that would be too expensive.
I will give goldcar until Monday and if they have not replied by then I will see what that other company can come up with, looking at their site they are currently €51.50 cheaper.

Katie
NWLass.

I have just spoken with Goldcar, apparently they have not had any emails, if you have not sorted your problem may I suggest emailing them again.

Alan
Hi BigAl.
You beat me too it, I was just going to tell you that the reservation has been rectified and is now showing the correct car group and price, I will print the confirmation nearer our holiday, we only leave 29 September, this will be our first time to Majorca and the first time we will have hired a car, we normally use transfer buses when we visit Cyprus.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Katie
Just back great hol.Hired a car from Goldcar picked up at airport all ok apart
from the 100 EURO charge for diesel for a belingo :yikes .
Know you pay a bit extra at the airport but 100 euro bit steep.
Drive a Belingo for work filled it up today £63.00
Hi heyes37.
I agree 100€ is a bit steep, we had a Fiat Punto Eco Evo which was anything but Eco, we paid 86€ for the fuel at the airport but when we had to fill up twice in the eight days we was there it was only 58€ each time, if you complain they will tell you it is because their staff have to go around the corner to fill the car back up again. Looking at other companies they mostly charge the same, a friend of ours used Europcar last month and paid 125€ for fuel and that was only a Corsa :yikes , they also had to pay 350€ deposit on the credit card, so it's not just goldcar who charge high fuel prices, my brother came back three weeks ago and paid 92€ for fuel in an Alfa romeo Giulietta with goldcar, so I cannot see how they work out fuel prices as they are more stable in Spain than here in the UK.
I will stay with goldcar as we do not have any problems with them and they have always been great with us.

Alan.
Hi Alan
We could'nt work it out either.Went to a car hire place in cala marsal to compare having transfer and hireing a car when in resort.After working out the quotes was not a big driffence.Would go with goldcar again, in a carpark at Aculdia somebody took the paint off the wing mirror :que and put a dent in the door.Informed the lady on return to airport she just waved her hand and said no problem.
Arrived Sunday evening after a near 8 hr delay (thanks Jet2) and went straight to the Goldcar desk before heading to the luggage carousel, very nice girl behind the desk, a little bit of harmless flirting and presented my Visa Debit card for payment and no demand to pay for the extra insurance, so she either made an error or they accept Halifax Ultimate Reward Visa Debit as the equivalent of a credit card.

Oh and it's gorgeous, sunny and hot at the moment.
not jelous at all :) just out of intrest how much have they charged you for fuel
find the amount in top right corner of recipt.
have a good holiday :sun2
We're looking to hire a small/economy car for a week, but do all the hire companies charge for fuel, on top of the weekly rate?

I've heard about this but fortunately never come across it. I've hired cars in the canaries for the last few years and have been asked to return the car either empty, full or as it went out!

Also, i have previously looked at getting the 'top-up' insurance cover (total damage waiver? where the excess is covered) from the UK before i leave. Has anyone used this before? And who was it with? The last time i looked for quotes it was around £20.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ty :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.