Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
GEC50,
As Peter has said no car hire company can tell you what vehicle you will get at the airport, all of the bigger car hire companies have a fast turn around of vehicles, when a car hire company states makes or models it is only so the customer has an idea of the size of car, as for Sixt their turn around is every 5 - 6 months and the company have no idea what cars they will get, they use a lease company and get whatever is available at the time. Last year I used Goldcar when on holiday in Majorca I requested a Corsa size car, at first I had a Citroen C3 (which believe it or not is the next size up) until the second day when it broke down, then they brought a Ford Focus, I was told that you get whatever is available. Goldcar turn around is every 3 months. If Sixt in Majorca are as bad as Sixt over here they will ignore your request, unless you require a child seat or are paying for something extra which is from a different department of the company.
Hope this helps
Big Al
Hi all. We are coming to Majorca for 12 nights in August. There will be 5 of us so we are thinking about hiring a car from the airport (we are staying in a villa in Can Picafort) or would we be better getting someone like Resorthoppa to drop us at the villa and then sorting out a car when we get to the resort? We would like a convertible but because of the fact there will be 5 cases plus bags might be a tight squeeze from the airport :rofl . Any suggestions on car hire companies gratefully received. Thank you.
Just a quick update. All went very well with my booking via Doyouspain and the hire arranged by them through Auriga Crown (full-full). They took €300 deposit for damage and €50 deposit for fuel in case it wasn't replaced with a full tank. All €350 was refunded to my card and thankfully very, very smoothly. I booked a C2 and they upgraded me to a VW Golf five door. I refuelled after spending a few hours in Can Pastilla (BP garage), only really a couple of miles to the airport.
So, highly recommended.
Hi I had booked a car with Avis @ £134 for eight days however they will charge for fuel , circa 60 euros and to avoid the 600 euro excess being taken from my card I could purchase the full excess waiver cover however this would be 26.50 euros per day.
After reading various threads and doing a bit of investigation I came across
Autos roig.
Car 224 euros however full to full fuel and no excess.
They were easy to communicate with via email and will meet me at the airport so no queues.
Couldnt find any bad reviews on them (please if you do dont tell me now I have booked).
Hope someone finds this info useful.
Hi everybody.
A friend has just tried to book a group D car (Ford focus / Opel Astra size) with Goldcar, only to be told that there are none left, seems the recent price reductions have worked, the only cars now available for June 14 - 21 are smaller cars or vans, which are going fast. I booked mine last month and as a returning customer got a 25 euro discount on top of the original price reduction.. My friend has tried other car hire companies but most have run out of this size of car or are too expensive, and as he says some of the car hire websites are very deceiving as they show cars are available but when you try to book they are not.
Just thought I would inform you of the situation.
Only 12 more sleeps, cant wait.

BigAl.
Just returned from 10 days in Alcudia and used Vanrell for the second time. Met the rep at the airport who handed over the keys to the Peugot 308 diesel 1.9. Only cost 242 euros for the 10 days plus 3 euros to get out of the car park, very cheap in my opinion. On the return just parked it back in the car park and put the keys in the boot. Fully comp insurance with no excess according to their website, however terms of hire state 800 euros if an accident is your fault.
Hi all, just returned from Majorca, as normal Gold car was excellent, we had a new Peugeot 308 Premium 2.0 diesel with just 108 km on the clock, total cost including fuel and insurance €236 no excess, after collecting luggage, went straight to gold car desk and was on our way to the car park in less than 5 minutes with key, on return a gold car representative met us after we parked the car where the key was handed back and over 1400 km on the clock, Once again a great car from a great company helped make a great holiday.
Cheers
Big Al
A friend has been trying to book a car with Do you Spain for September, he has no Credit card and says in the FAQ's it states they will do all they can to arrange a debit card payment at the airport but he must contact them in advance, but every time he tries to contact them by email he gets no reply, he tried telephoning them but it is always the engaged tone or some one answers and cancels the call straight away. Has anyone else used Do you Spain, do they accept debit cards?, any info will be appreciated. He tried using Gold car but they do not have the size of car he requires for the date he is in Mallorca.

Cheers
Alan
CAR HIRE - CHOICE OF FULL/FULL EMPTY

Hi

Can anyone help me out? We've booked a hire car for the first time (through the villa company), wo have used Centauro Spain. We have the two fuel options, and the fuel/fuel sounds the best for the amount of mileage we will do, but have read on another thread that someone had to wait a few hours in the BP near the airport to fill up :yikes

Has anyone else had this expereince?

Thanks
Can't help sorry as our hire cars in Algarve are usually half full - enough to get where you're going to and no dash to fill up on return. Hope someone can help.
Does anybody know of another car hire company that will accept debit card payments instead of a credit card, we always use goldcar but they are too expensive this year. I was told about Vanrell because they accept cash or credit card payments, I have just tried their website but my internet security is telling me that the site has spyware and spam attatched to it and will not let me look at their site. Has anyone used Vanrell paying by cash only, if so what are they like?
Thanks.
Any up-to-date recommendations on car hire at Palma airport? I was using croauto but they seem to have disappeared over the winter. I would prefer a airport pickup and rep with a key handover rather than a queue at one of the counters.

Any suggestions?
I have booked with Goldcar again, they are the cheapest or they was when I booked about three weeks ago, again we will be paying with visa debit card, as it is simple and we know that we will not be billed any more for anything, 8 days rental approx £225 including fuel and relax insurance for a Ford Focus VolksWagon Golf size car in mid June.

Alan
thx for the Goldcar suggestion Alan. I have used Goldcar in the past and they are cheap and ok but sometimes the queues for their counter are very long. I would prefer a key pickup or a company that leaves the cars in the garage for a straightforward drive out.
BigAl, what does relax insurance include please also did they quote you for the fuel and give a fixed price as all I ever get is it depends on the day
Hi Shrimper,

The relax insurance is an extra insurance to cover things like excess, windscreen, tyres, locks, lost keys, underbody ect, this has to be taken out when paying by debit card, it costs €30 for upto 6 days then €5 per day there after.
As for the price, I booked the car and just added the same for fuel and relax insurance as we paid last October, fuel prices are still the same so it was relatively easy.

Alan
Hi everybody,

I have just been chatting with a friend who arrived in Majorca yesterday, he tells me that car hire prices are increasing this year by a between 40 - 120€ for 7 days rental depending on vehicle size and that fuel is at its highest price of 1.38€, he said that all of the car hire companies at Palma airport are advising of these big increases. From what he could find out the increase is mainly due to a drop in tourist bookings this year.
I have emailed Goldcar, Europcar, Avis and Auriga Crown, all have confirmed that rental prices will increase this year, Goldcar and Auriga Crown said that compact cars (Ford Focus, Alfa Romeo Guilietta size) are in very high demand this year and advised if you want this size of car book early to avoid disappointment.
My advice is to book early to avoid the price increases, if it is not to late already.

Alan
Gold car are having a bit of a sale in Majorca at the moment :tup they have reduced prices to be more on par with other companies.
We tried to book with do you Spain for a change as they are quoting even less but their customer service is none existent, over the last couple of months I have tried contacting them as in their faq's it states to contact them to pay by debit card, but they never answer :que , maybe they just don't want new customers. So they are now in the spam folder of my emails.
To shave a few more euro's off the price we have downgraded to a Citroen C3 Picasso which is 12€ less than the Focus we had originally booked and not a lot smaller if at all, so a couple more drinks for us. :cheers.

Alan.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.