Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I've not been yet, but we are booked into Silver Sands HV in Feb next year. We booked it on the basis that:

- It's close to the beach
- It's close to lots of bars and restaurants
- The reviews are good
- It seemed to be older couples rather than groups of teens staying there (we're in our late 30s)

I am expecting very basic accomodation, but that's okay - we'll only sleep and shower there. Based on some of the reviews we read, we booked a superior room as the bungalows are apparently really dark and not as nice as the superiors. But until we go, I can't give you more info than that I'm afraid.

Hotels are a bit like restaurants - everyone likes different things.

This will be our first time to Goa and we chose Candolim as we wanted something with a bit of life, but not too youthy - so less nightclubs, more restaurants. From what I understand a cab to Calagunte/Baga etc won't cost much so we will probably venture out there too.
Beach round Sunset Beach will be dominated by RP.

Normally a great area the beach erosion has destroyed its beauty.

It is difficult now as it is hard to find quiet parts of the beach anywhere in the North although it is stiil possible.

HBR is in a terrific location close to beach road and a cab ride from calangute.

Lots of great restaurants nearby and really no need to do anything but walk if you want.

For beach peace your best bet is bottom of beach road turn right and walk till you find a bit of space betwen shacks.

That is if there are not even more shacks this year.

Papa
Sorry what does hbr and rp mean papa:) thanks x
Thanks Graham, knew you would come to my rescue :tup
Can't comment on Sunset beach but Silver Sands is fine.
I did post some pics of the superior rooms at the silver sands but no idea if they are still there. I'll have a look and post a link if I can find them.
Not too sure if the cost of upgrading from standard to superior is justified.
Bungalows priced inbetween standard and suprior but personally I find them a bit claustrophobic.
THe SS can't be beaten for location, the beach there is good and plenty of shacks. Handy for lots of restaurants etc.
Clientel is almost all British , couples mainy.

no can't find the pics on the gallery, I'll have a look at my own collection later and see if I still have them
Thanks del, the reviews are higher on the silver sands than HBR but both look nice, on our budget both are fine to go to. We are going for at least 3 weeks as to far to fly for any less time ...... I do want a good beach but not sure if candolim hits that spot? We do want entertainment, but not right in the centre, don't mind a bit of walking..... like loads of good restaurants, shops etc and want to be near to go and see everyone at the HT carvery meet.
I think (IMHO) its a good beach, not especially for swimming though.

There is NO entertainment at the hotel whatsoever but the bars/ restaurants nearby usually have something but that would probably be only a singer or similar. Possibly Karaoke.
Although its very central I have had no problems with noise on a night etc, but perhaps some of the rooms in the annexe may suffer from that.
As far as the carvery meet , I don't think that you can get any closer! It must be all of 100 yds!

We shall really have to try and get there this year ourselves, but there always seems to be something to do or people to meet or places to go and then we forget!
still looking for pics of the rooms at the SS but not having much luck.

update
If this link works here are a few pics of the room we had, notice especially that you are kept well supplied with loo rolls!
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/del949/silver%20sands%20goa/
It is possible to find a quiet area on Candolim Beach if you walk towards Calangute, there are a few gaps up past Pete's Shack (great food and good toilets.)

If you want more peace and space head further north for a day trip.
Look here. Goa beaches.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.