Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Andy

I'm one of those silver surfers that Sanji mentions. I'm in my 70's and have no problem with sending emails, ordering goods, flights etc but if my OH wasn't computer smart would have great difficulty fixing things with my computer when they go wrong. So yes I'm baffled by technology. I do know a few people in their 80's and even their nineties who have computers and are quite competent but the majority are like Sm's parents and have to rely unhappily on family to carry out various tasks.

I'm actually feeling rather patronised by you actually discussing what someone of my age is capable of accomplishing and the statement that someone shouldn't be travelling if they can't afford to buy a printer really quite uncalled for.
My friend finds the online check in a great advantage as, she only ever checks themselves in on the outbound journey. Then towards the end of their holiday they decide whether to have an extended stay or not. They then go to an Internet cafe & print off their tickets or change their booking.
Of course in the meantime they will charge a fortune to all those who turn up without a boarding pass. I can't find anything on their t&cs to say what it would be. Isn't ryanairs fee £70?
Yes Fiona , ryanair s fee is £70 , easyjet will still issue boarding cards for free , they want to encourage passengers to check in online , perhaps after a fair period of time they will make a charge ??? :que

Judith wrote:
Andy

I'm actually feeling rather patronised by you actually discussing what someone of my age is capable of accomplishing and the statement that someone shouldn't be travelling if they can't afford to buy a printer really quite uncalled for.

Quite honestly I do not think I have made any patronising remarks or ageist comments , quite the opposite actually , the comments I have made were in reference to how my own mum copes with technology and life in general I would certainly not disrespect her , so why someone else of a similar age ???
I did not make a statement that " someone shouldn't be travelling if they can't afford to buy a printer"

I actually said " if you can't afford a printer then can you really afford to book a flight " Which is factually correct because ryanair charge £70 to print a boarding card each way , and I suppose EJ will make a similar charge in the future . So can you really afford to book a flight ???? Because if you don't have a printer it's going to cost you an awful lot of money !!!!!

SMA, you have said , " my parents are not daft or stupid, and I hope that you weren't implying that they are ...."

Of course I'm not implying that they are , because I've made no comment about your parents , where in my posts have I had said that people are daft and stupid ???

You say that EJ are going to potentially lose the 20% of their customers who have preferred not to check in online for whatever reason , well perhaps some of those just don't bother and decide to check in at the airport , this is what the OP , Darren was referring to , EJ are sending out emails encouraging people to checkin online as they make the transition to bag drop only , in my posts I'm only stating what EJ are doing and my opinion is that I understand the business decision they are making and why they are making it , I also do understand and acknowledge that changes are not always welcome ( despite the fact that you think I have difficulty with this ) nothing is ever universally accepted when a change is made , but from some of the posts on here its like EJ have made a unfair attack on the older generation and are discriminating against them and I really don't think they have , they are not excluding anyone just because of age , I agree the change will have an effect on some people but that would apply to any age group .

Finally, ..... I'm only expressing my opinions , and whilst you might not agree with them and I might not agree with yours , I do respect that it is your opinion , and I while I'm happy for you to criticise my opinions ( that's fair)
I do not feel it is right for personal remarks to be made that say I am implying comments I have not made and quoting statements that are incorrect .
How many people have a computer but no printer I wonder (or access to one)? Those without a computer presumably book via an agent, in which case the agent can check them in and print their boarding passes.

EZY are also trialling mobile boarding passes at Stansted, Southend, Manchester, Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Nice. You can download them to iPhone or Android and they are stored offline, so you don't need network coverage,or wi-fi, and no roaming charges.
I am on to my 3rd laptop but havent got a printer :really
Ive never needed one and cope without one.
I have just come back from a holiday flying with Easyjet and did worry before hand regarding the bag drop and pre booked boarding pass but all went OK.
I dont book my holidays on line but look for the web price and am always given this price by the travel agents.
The only thing I did not like was the mile long queue at passport control at Gatwick. :duh
Thank goodness we only use this airport once or twice a year.
I don't have a printer. I've bought about two in the past & they both conked on me after only a short while so
I now either pop to the library or ask a friend to print my tickets.
Jay trip , so did your agent do your online checkin and print boarding cards ? If so , that's pretty good service because I would have thought you would have been given the reference number which you give at the checkin desk instead , and as the agent honours the online price ( I don't think agents can get a discount on EJ prices) did they make a small or token admin charge for doing the checkin and printing ? It would be interesting to know if agents do offer this service , I've only booked accommodation through an agent , David at Destinology is very helpful , he even managed to give me an extra 5% of the sale prices last time even though he was on the golf course on his day off !!! Great service and nice chap .

Pity , about the wait at passport control , believe me it was worse early last year !! I thought that UKBA had sorted out most of the problems by now , and I didn't wait long when coming through in march this year , although it was an early morning arrival ( probably not enough time for the queues to build up ) !!
I use it about 3 to 4 times a year , but I'm using London city next time for the first time , it will be interesting to compare , and I use Heathrow once a year and that was very good , :offtop sorry
Yes my agent printed our boarding passes when I selected the seats.I book with Hays Travel,who I have been using since they first started trading back in the 80s.
They may have charged a small fee but it was around the same price as I found by pricing the holiday myself.
They are especially good for their prices when booking a package from one of the big 3 operators.
Sometimes as much as half the price. :tup
Thanks for that info. Jay trip, :tup , I had a look at their website , I had heard of them , but obviously they have a stronger presence up in the North East . I actually did a price check on an EJ flight and it was the same costs for the flight and also all the optional extras , a small service charge is more than fair if they are booking, checking in and printing boarding passes , and good to see EJ co operating with the trade to allow agents to book their flights unlike the other well known LCC .

Also I was reading their t&c s / privacy policy and they clearly set out about the booking conditions of suppliers and what is covered and what constitutes a package etc , ( always a bone of contention in the complaints on this forum) , they appeared to be very upfront about this .

A good option if you want to book an EJ flight ( or any other suitable flight ) and want them to do the processes for you , free phone number too !!
I trust Hays to find me the best deal although these days I have found it on the internet before I go to the shop which is located in my town.They are the UKs largest Independent travel agent.
I have used them for many years and they used to give nurses a discount. :tup
They have a few on line travel companies under their wing including Sunshine.co.uk who are very competitive.
I have had the best deals from their homeworkers via teletext.
Thomson and Thomas Cook are next door to each other just round the corner to Hays so plenty of competition.
They find the best prices for the Easyjet flights and it worked out cheaper for me us to go for 10 days rather than 7 due to the difference in flight prices.
When I book a dynamic package they always charge £10 for supplier failure cover which seems to be a grey area.
In October 2011 they did a dynamic package for me and it was half the First Choice package price,despite using Thomson flights and to the same accommodation. :tup
So what exactly is the procedure when arriving at Luton airport (next Wednesday). I have printed our boarding passes online and we have a suitcase each to go in the hold, plus hand luggage. How do we get our suitcases weighed and do we still have to queue up to have them weighed and show our passports?
Hi East point , you just go to the Easyjet bag drop off desk and they carry out the rest of the process , with tagging the luggage and checking the weight and the passport stuff too !!!
I've just sent you a PM too !!! Hope all went well , have a good holiday
Well I hope for you that the bagdrop in Luton is better than the bagdrop at Stansted. We arrived at 0435 for our 0630 flight, we queued for about 45 minutes at the bagdrop and another 45 minutes at security. We did not have time for even a coffee, not much point in having all those fancy shops. Stansted was a shambles.
However the easyjet flight to Cagliari was on time and comfortable and coming back the Cagliari bagdrop had no queue.
Qman , 45 mins at security is bad , at that rate they will taking hits and paying back to the airlines , I heard a while ago they were restructuring the working hours for security staff , probably to minimise taking on new staff , and with the sale in February this year forced by the Competition Commission it was sold by BAA to Manchester Airport Group , perhaps a few staff left too ? Ground staff companies also cut to the bone to get contracts and that can have an adverse effect for passengers too , especially when the airport is predominately used by LCC s .
Mind you to be fair easyjet do a nice cup of coffee onboard ;)
hi could some please tell me once ive checked in on line where would i drop off my bag im flying with easy jet, im normally use to checkin in first then goin through customs but i dont know where to go once ive checked in on line where at gatwick airport would i drop off my bag does anyone know please do let me know thanks
trisha21,

Welcome onboard :tup
Just drop your bags off at the Easyjet bag drop off desk, just have a look at the screens when you get to the airport. Its just like normal check in, but only for your luggage. If you dont have luggage to check in, you can go straight through security to the departure lounge. That's where the big advantage is.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.