General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Having realised that my Mum's EHIC had expired at the beginning of September I checked ours which also expired on the same day.

I would have assumed that new cards would have been sent automatically but obviously this is not the case. It would appear that you have to reapply. Ok for us but too late for Mum who went to Malta yesterday.

I wonder why new ones are not automatically issued.

Pippa
Pippa,

You need to reapply for an EHIC card to be renewed on expiry of the old card. This can be done online and with the minimum of fuss.

Unfortunately, I have had to use the EHIC card in Spain during the summer. Believe me, life is safer, easier and cheaper with the card.
Have applied for our new ones and also for Mum too. I didn't see a 'box' to check if you wanted them automatically renewed on expiry.

Just hope Mum will be ok without a current one. She has travel insurance but she is 84 - she has taken the expired card with her. At least she is in Malta where health care is good.

Pippa
Pippa

We can't send out new cards without a request for a couple of reasons.

Firstly we need to know that the situation is the same and the person is entitled to an UK EHIC still. An example I like to use is that someone like Lewis Hamilton wouldn't be able to get one as they aren't ordinarily resident in the UK but someone like Madonna might be able to because they are (though there are some restrictions if you aren't a UK,EU,EEA or Swiss national).

The other reason is that we don't keep track of any address changes for EHIC and with 28 million cards issued so far and three years the shortest period covered we knew that hundreds of thousands of people would have moved after receiving their first cards.

If there is a problem there is an emergency system to get a provisional replacement certificate. The number to call and what info you need to have to hand when you call is on the DH website.
I'm surprised at you Pippa allowing the cards to lapse. I thought you were always so organised.

I bumped this topic in June to remind anyone who was among the first to apply that it may be time for renewal as you could apply from April for cards that were due to expire in September.

luci :wave
I know that I am usually organised but this just slipped by me!! I wouldn't have even looked at our cards had I not checked my Mum's documents yesterday before she set off for Malta.

I also have to confess that I hadn't looked at this topic on the EHIC on this forum mainly because I didn't realise they were about to run out.

We don't go abroad again until January so no problem for us.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Pippa
REMINDER - CHECK YOUR EHIC EXPIRY DATE

If your EHIC was issued back in 2005, please remember to check its expiry date as it may soon be due for renewal. If your card has already expired, or is due for renewal within the next 6 months, you can renew it now via the link on page 1 of this topic.

David :wave
At present I have the old E111 card which expires in October this year. Can I still use it this June, or do I have to replace it now (before the expiry date) with the new EHIC card?
See here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7964199.stm

I think I''d replace it - you can apply over the net and your new card is normally back within 7 days (ours came back within 5)
Thanks for that link Milly-Molly, think I'll replace it now. Cheers.
East Point wrote:
At present I have the old E111 card which expires in October this year. Can I still use it this June, or do I have to replace it now (before the expiry date) with the new EHIC card?

East Point ... the E111 ceased to be valid in 2005. You can apply for an EHIC via the link on page 1 of this topic.

Ooh heck David, I have been using it right up until last September! Thanks.
Oh I'm a dope!! It is the EHIC card I have already got, but it does expire on October 1st, so will renew it in April. Sorry.
Ah right. That's good, as I was concerned as to what might have happened if you had a medical emergency during the last few years. If you have an EHIC which is valid until October, then you can renew it up to 6 months before its expiry. But your existing EHIC is perfectly valid for your holiday in June, so you could hang on and renew if afterwards if you prefer.

Thanks David. I'll renew it after my June holiday I think. Cheers.
i'm off to spain this year and i had forgotten that i needed one as i normally go to turkey. applied for mine last week and it arrived yesterday. thanks for the reminder. :tup
Mmmm just a thought :think is EHIC card valid in Tunisia , i dont think it is but worth checking
thanks for your advice
Llindy wrote:
is EHIC card valid in Tunisia
This page HERE shows where the EHIC is valid.
  • Edited by David 2009-08-10 12:03:34
    Post edited to insert link to official website, where EHIC may be obtained free of charge.
Thank you ........ thought it wasn't valid , but its always best to check
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.