General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Thanks DH Advice, that post has now been edited to show the link to the official website, where the EHIC may be obtained free of charge.

David :wave
Thanks for the edit David, but the link you gave doesn't actually show the list of countries - I believe THIS page may answer the original question better :wink: sorry to be pedantic... :-?
REMINDER - CHECK YOUR EHIC EXPIRY DATE

Is your EHIC still valid ?

Please remember to check its expiry date, as I have heard several recent cases of holidaymakers going abroad with expired/invalid cards.

If your card has already expired, or is due for renewal within the next 6 months, you can renew it now by clicking HERE.

It looks like the official website is down at the moment. If you 'google' EHIC other websites come up where there is a charge. Just a warning in case people don't realise. Hopefully David's link will be working soon.
Although the NHS site is up and running again, there is still a fault with the EHIC online application system and engineers are currently working on that. Hopefully it will be restored shortly.

The telephone helpline is available for any urgent applications meantime: 0845 606 2030.

Genuine EHICs are free of charge via the official website or local rate phone line. As starry suggests, please do not use any alternative EHIC weblinks or premium rate phone numbers found via Google, as you will then be passing your own personal details to a private company and will most likely be charged for each card requested. The NHS cannot guarantee the validity of cards obtained from any other source.

EDIT: The online application and renewal system is now fully operational again.
Mr friend who is travelling abroad with me in July fell for one of these online dodgy websites last Sunday and paid her £9.95 without realising the cards are free. She received her EHIC card yesterday. It looks just like mine, is there any way to verify if it is a valid card?

Many thanks
It might be best if she rings the EHIC general enquiries line on 0845 605 0707 and takes their advice on whether the card is likely to be valid, or if she should perhaps apply for another one via official channels. Please do let us know the outcome.

:) Thanks for that, I'll post their response here
As my card was lost when my purse got stolen I phoned up today and they are getting me another one in 7 - 10 working days, no charge. https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do
:) she rang the EHIC helpline and its a genuine card - apparently thats how these websites get round the law. They do provide the service they sell, just dont tell people they could have got the card free.
Thanks for the update shorty.

The NHS do say that they cannot guarantee the validity of cards obtained from any other source, but whether that is based on experience or just a precautionary warning, I really don't know. There have also been concerns about applicants giving so much personal data (name, address, date of birth, bank card details, NHS or National Insurance number, etc) to private companies which need not be involved in the EHIC process.

But it was best to check, and I am glad to hear that her card is valid, even if it was at unnecessary expense.

:( she is very unhappy at the thought of someone unauthorised having her NI number and other details, I'm not sure if she is going to do anything about that, or even if there is anything she can do
Several unscrupulous sites which charged for processing the free EHIC have been closed down. SEE HERE

luci :wave
Just bumping this topic, as I've just noticed that my EHIC card ran out in January. With the holiday season now upon us, everyone needs to check the validity of their cards.
I was just checking our passports in the safe a couple of weeks ago when I noticed my EHIC card expired in January. I applied to renew on line immediately as we're off to Spain on Tuesday. Glad to report it came through the door 6 days later so in plenty of time for our hols :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.