General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi,just an update to my panicky question yesterday,I rung EHIC this morning after applying on-line yesterday afternoon,spoke to a very helpful man who told me not to worry ,enjoy my holiday and should we need any medical aid I only have to ring EHIC and they will fax details through to whoever wants them.Problem solved ,thank goodness!!
One week on & today I have had confirmation that they have received my application :que I wonder where it's been until now then? :)
if, as a British citizen, we are entitled to free health care

to be picky, you may not be entitled to FREE care. You get whatever the residents of the other country get under their system, it may not be free. In some countries some stuff may not be covered or there may be a flat fee. If you have to pay a charge that you wouldn't pay here you might be able to claim it back when you get home. Sometimes it works the other way round - I once had completely free dental treatment in Austria which there would have been a charge for in the UK.
That's good they have arrived Helen. Presumably that is from the second application, and the first one did not process correctly.

David :wave
It looks that way David. Just waiting for all my son's family details, to fill their applications in now.
This thread prompted me to look at mine and it had expired in January. I telephoned them and my new card will be with me within 5 days.
David said
The link in the first post on page 1 of this topic is to the Department of Health's official EHIC website. Applications and renewals processed via that website are free of charge. There are numerous other independent business websites which charge to process EHIC applications. Many of them try to disguise themselves as the official EHIC website, and obviously succeed as lots of travellers have been needlessly paying for EHICs which are free of charge through official channels

Our cards expired yesterday so I went online to renew. Put details in...THEN at next 'click' it had 'express £5'...then if not expressed..charge of £14.something! Put PC to 'back'...'back'..and then came out of site.

Opened another page...googled...came up with Martins MoneySaving Expert page...clicked on the link from there and just ordered free of charge! Didn't think I'd paid before! :really
Hi Betty ... the link in that first post on page 1 is to the official Department of Health EHIC site, where cards are issued free of charge. That's the same one which Martin at MSE highlights. Is it possible that you might have clicked on one of the Google adverts for a private company which follow that post, rather than the link within the post ?

;) I was going to look for it again David...and post it on here..BUT then realised others might click on it thinking it was the CORRECT link. I googled European Health Insurance Card Renewal...it wasn't one of the 'top' highlighted ones that came up on the Google Page..but one of the first 'legit' looking ones with similar www addie. Was puzzled when I initially saw the tick box for 'non refundable payment' and the '£5 express' delivery...then stopped COMPLETELY when the next page showed the amount payable of £14 etc!
But the link that you initially clicked on, was it the one within the first post:

For UK citizens, there are three ways of applying for your EHIC from the Department of Health:

1. Online - please click HERE to apply online (normal EHIC delivery time 7 days)

2. By phoning 0845 606 2030 (normal EHIC delivery time 10 days)

3. By post, using an EHIC form and pre-addressed envelope supplied by the Post Office (normal EHIC delivery time 21 days).

Or could it have been amongst the Google adverts which followed that post ? Or are you saying that you just used Google and didn't click directly from HTs ?

The only reason I don't keep on repeating the correct link throughout the topic is that it sometimes changes, and it is easier to edit and update that first post rather than every post in the thread which has a link.

;) No sorry David..I didn't check HT first...I just googled.
Thanks Betty, I thought when you were quoting from my post that you had used that link, or one of the adverts which followed.

But yes, if you make a Google search you will probably find results for several fee charging private companies, before reaching the official free to use site. You might also find Google adverts for those companies in this thread. Some are very craftily designed to look like the official site. It's sad how many people only realise after making a purchase that they could have had their EHIC for free, without all the concerns about having passed so much personal information to a private firm.

....and the last part of that is the most serious issue. Being taken for £14 is one thing but handing over personal details and card numbers to these people could lead to all sorts of problems in the future.

On the subject of actually using the cards, don't think it's just a matter of getting one and then pulling it out when you need it. Each country has it's own system and you need to know how it works. The details are provided via the main NHS link above, country by country. Before you go away read the rules for the country you are visiting, it's easier to do it at home than when you're in the back of an ambulance (which you might have to pay for!).
My EHIC Card was not allowed to be used in a health centre in the Dordoigne when my son had a cut foot from a morning's rock-climbing. They said that dangerous sports weren't covered! This was a absoluite beginners professionally organised/registeredorganised ascent up a small wall of 20 feet. They wanted 200 Euros for private treatment. I used first aid instead!!
I need to renew 4 of these cards and also apply for one for my sons girlfriend.

Please could someone link me as to where I can get them for free?
Hi sunseeker1 .. the link is in my post just above, and in the first post on page 1.

hi just wondering going to benidorm in august with 3yr old grandson does he need a ehic card thanks for any help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.