Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
you can spend what you want really, from o.t.t. to basic for food.

a reverie on the border of candolim/calangute, we paid £70 for a three course meal for 4 adults with drinks.that really is as good as youre going to get, top notch setting,service and food.between us we couldnt put an equivalent u.k. price to the meal as we have never been to a restaurant of that quality over here.

you can pick up snacks,samosas,bahjees etc. for a few rupees from the bread boy, you'll see him cycling around with a huge basket on the back of the bike late afternoon time.

on the beach, we love the calamari shack down towards the fort end of candolim, we were spending about £5 each per day for lunch,dessert and drinks between 11am and 5pm.

large vodka and coke in candolim bars is around £1 unless you want smirnoff or diet coke, then the price goes up! a 1/2 bottle of romanov vodka in the small supermarkets is less than £1!

as a rough guide, we spent £1500 between the 2 of us in 2 weeks in march. however, that includes a £500 diamond ring, 2000 cigarettes to bring back and eating out at some of the best restaurants around.

if you have a nationwide flex-account, put all of your money in there and withdraw it from the cashpoints in candolim,theres plenty about.the flex account is commision free too and seems to give you a better rate than the money changers with less hassle!

above all, keep your wits about you, give yourself a few days to settle in and enjoy it!
Prices have gone up every year, and after reading reports expect more of an increase this year. Children - what age ? Where are you staying Hotel ? - will help with your question.
Beach shacks through the day will be your cheapest time of your hols.
Last year for 2 adults at our shack we were paying on average 800rps (£10) this included 2 sunbeds, 4 bottles of water, at least 8 bottles of beer, lunchtime snacks (chips/toastie or a fresh made sandwhich - normally a curry and rice for me or a mixed plate of bahjis and spring rolls) and a plate of fresh fruit.
Bottles of coke 20rps (16p) and a bottle of Kings beer 40rps (30p) Bacardi Breezers around (£1)
Evening, we try various places to eat for our 2 weeks (I think 8 last year) and averaged around 1400rps (£16 for 2) this was either a starter and main or main and desert with a couple of beers and a bottle of water. Cheapest coastel belt place cost us £9, most expensive £25.Had a lunch time meal in a very good local clean restaurant in Panaji that came to £4 for 3 of us. Dominoes pizza place for the kids if you want a change, and any restaurant will do small portions at reduced prices for kids if you ask.
Plenty of places that are a lot cheaper than the 'coastal belt' but with your budget I wouldn't worry.
P.S Just a note about shacks and sun beds - quite a few will not charge for them if you eat or drink in them (normally 50rps per bed - 60p), this year I think more and more will charge though if they stick to the 10 bed per shack rule.
Taxis will be your biggest expense - avoid them if possible and take the local buses or walk !
Spike.
thank you very much for that information ,it,s nice to have a rough idea of prices ,spike we are staying at the highland beach resort,my children are 2 boys 14 & 10 who are really excited about trying somewhere completely different,
£2000 pound will be well enough,dont worry,just go and enjoy! :) ive stayed at the highland beach hotel and its a good hotel
Even with 2 children it will be very difficult to spend £100 a day. We never spent £50 a day( 2 adults) and never stinted at all.
generally spend around £600/700 for 2 adults. we eat at different places in the evening and always have wine which is fairly expensive.
£2000 is absolutely plenty enough for everything.
the advice re Nationwide flex account is good.
we stayed at highland beach at christmas, took £1500 with us family of four kids and wife can spend like no tomorrow and still came back home with money.From highland beach your pretty central so no need for taxis which will eat into your ££££
hi all thanks again for all the advice,dunk thats brilliant spending that ammount with 4 children we spend way more than that in turkey with only 2 children,will stick to my budget of 2000 pounds as we want to do a few trips including the jugle book trip ,will make a nice change to bring home some money
Tracan

don't be tempted by the reps trips. Try daytripper or do your research and hire a taxi to where you want to go. With a family of 4 the taxi option is probably the best. Have a look at the daytripper white water rafting and safari, its a long way but worthwhile and the kids will love it (i think they have to be 12 to raft). Another good day is the Grand Island trip you will see dolphins and the snorkelling is not bad but the best is the chill out BBQ on the beach. The rafting is about £70.00 for two days, its a lot for a trip but worth it IMO. The Grand Island is £14 not sure about discounts for kids. Check it out at http://www.daytrippergoa.com. The office is on the calangute to Candolim border.
On the subject of money, I wouldn't take 2k cash as you may struggle to spend it, the Nationwide advice is good. A word of warning if anyone (especially taxi drivers) ask is this your first time say no as they will assume you will pay over the odds.
warning if anyone (especially taxi drivers) ask is this your first time say no

best advice ever!!!!
Also when you pass the fish market hold your nose :rofl p.s you picked me up wrong its me, the wife and 2 brats but they all spend spend spend. We got a taxi from the airport to the Highland Beach and we also told the driver we had been before we paid 750rs as we were told to on this forum.The Highland beach will be bed and breakfast so if your up in time that`s 1 meal for the family sorted but watch out for the ommelette they put chilli`s in it :tongue but you can have eggs galore for breakfast.Also one more thing when you arrive at hotel the mini bar man will arrive to see if you want it stocked, Dont its much cheaper to fill at the local supermarket (Newton`s) than buying your goods from them.You`l get plenty of advice here but don`t worry you`l soon pick it up as you go, just enjoy the :cheers in the :sun2 and ignore the txi drivers

Dunk :tup
p.s buy the plug in mossie killer at the shop at Highland beach and leave them on 24hrs if you have kids and you`l be ok one in each room and they should last a week at least
Good advise Dunk but dont forget to use a mossi repellent on yourselves all the time night time around 5pm and if you intend going out very early in the morning is when the little devils are at their worst "Nobite" and odourmose are the local ones, nothing worse than being bitten and of course their has been an increase in malaria here so prevention is cheaper than cure ;)
a reverie on the border of candolim/calangute, we paid £70 for a three course meal for 4 adults with drinks.that really is as good

just saw this and had to chuckle.
We went there last year and I just picked up my wallet in the room without looking in it.
Got to the restaurant and found that I only had about 400 rps, and my plastic was all in the hotel safe!
hasty retreat!!! :rofl
del949 wrote:
a reverie on the border of candolim/calangute, we paid £70 for a three course meal for 4 adults with drinks.that really is as good

just saw this and had to chuckle.
We went there last year and I just picked up my wallet in the room without looking in it.
Got to the restaurant and found that I only had about 400 rps, and my plastic was all in the hotel safe!
hasty retreat!!! :rofl

lol, you could have shared a starter :que :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.