Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
They only ask for a second I.D. if you dont know the PIN number for your credit/debit card.
I've always been asked for ID, either if I'm using a British card with a pin number or a Spanish one with/without pin. I also have a Mercadona card, and have to show ID every time I use that. It's not just supermarkets, all shops do the same. If you have a photo driving licence, that will sometimes be ok (it was the other day for a friend of mine).
Liz is right, last week I was stood behind two people in Supersol who paid by card and they both had to produce their Spanish ID cards.

I don't have that problem myself because I pay in cash, and I made frequent visits to Lidl, Maxi Dia and Supersol supermarkets during the two weeks....so possibly a way around it is to withdraw the cash from an ATM beforehand.?

Sanji
In Tenerife El Camison Mercadona I have used my debit card without being asked for identification many times, in others I have and have not always carried our passports using both my driving licence and bus pass. Last time we took photo copies of our passports but never had cause to use them.
I've used a UK Halifax Visa debit card in the MAS supermarket near Bonanza Sq many times recently without being asked for a second ID. I also spent €296 on cigarettes at the Tabac near The Elefante and wasn't asked for a second ID there either.

The only card any shop asks for a second ID with is my Spanish Unicaja bank card.
Thanks for the advice, in this case will probably pay by cash to avoid any probs.
:tup
I always have to show ID, no matter what card I use or which shop I am in, so do all my Spanish friends. Not a big deal, gives you reassurance!
Hi
We just got caught out at the Mercadona in La Carihuela this week.Staying in a villa we went on first day to do a large shop of basics for the week.Came to £170...and guess what i had no idea i had to produce my passport ! Husband had to run to speedbank luckily not far away

Joxx
I have been asked for id recently.You can make a copy of your passport to duplicate the size of a credit card,that has been accepted
I agree with
CooperEd wrote:
Not a big deal, gives you reassurance!
But handy to know :tup
Yes exactly...nothing to worry about...just make a copy of your passport and voila - Spanish supermarkets will be like riding a bicycle!
Ok - have I got this right - they will accept a copy of my passport with debit / credit card to save carrying it around and risk loosing it !! - what about prices in Torremolinos/Benalmadena areas - do supermarket prices compare with what we pay here ??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.