Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Got back on 14th..desperately need to get back there asap..but sadly don't think we will get another visit in this year as we have a diving holiday to Egypt through the dive school to attend and it would be rude not to go!..love Gozo so much we are thinking about investing in property...can anyone advise me about this?
Yes, if youv'e got it just do it.
depends why you want to buy - its much cheaper to rent than buy property currently - rental yields are 1-2%
was thinking of buying so that we can stay there ourselves when time allows but also to rent out to friends( intially) etc when we are not there. Ultimately, if we can ever afford to slow down a little, it would be great to stop there for 5/6 months at a time if we can find a little "tide over" work whilst there.

Gozomark - do you have anything to do with Moby Dick's diving school? There was a guy there called Mark who i was talking to..was that you?
no, thats a different Mark :D

property is expensive in Malta - about the only people who find it OK priced are those from the UK. I would suggest you seriously think about a long term rental as its so much cheaper than buying - on top of the high purchase price, there is a further 6-7% in fees to pay, which would cover 3-5 years of renting !

In the 5 years I've been here, purchase prices are up about 75%, rents are down atleast 25% if not 50%
why has the rental market plummeted?

Admittedly, we rented the apartment in Xlendi for aweek and it worked out at £120 but it was of quite a poor standard..however we were told it was good compred to what some of the apartments for renting are like in Xlendi.

What is pushing house prices up? Is it the invasion of the brits? I am aware that the EU has invested a lot of money into Malta and Gozo..would that push the prices up?
rental market has plummeted because of massive over supply - now, I can hear you asking, so why haven't property prices fallen as well ??

a very good question, and I expect it to happen

as for renting, you can rent a place long term for Lm 100 odd (ie £160 ish) per month...... and that would be a decent apartment/ 2 bedroom house
Thant's not my experience. I've just rented out my place long term (2 years) and i'm getting nearly 7% yield. Tha aprtment was built 4 years ago, is a very high standard and is in St Julians. I think as everywhere else, location plays a big role in rental yields.
is that the yield based on the current market value, or on what you paid for it ?
yippee ..finally going back to malta.......
hi......all.just booked for a week half board in the hotel san gorg in st.julians bay for the 20th of jan.........
its been ages since (or it feels that way).since we where last in malta .
regards...........john-doe......
Just to let all the Maltaphiles know that there will be a small, select get together of 2 members. Yes Charliegirl will be meeting Real Holidaymaker. By strange coincidence we are both in Palma Nova at the same time with our daughters and grandchildren. Dave has promised to do Kareoke and I have a feeling that i will have to drag him clear of any 'foam parties' at the night clubs :lol:
Hello all, I would just like to add to the above post, well we did meet me and Mrs Holidaymaker were just walking along the prom looking nether left or right when a voice from inside a out door pub said are you Dave? I looked round and there she was Tinkerbell with a pint in her hand.
She had got out off that key hole for a week, so after a little chat we agreed to meet in Ruby Tuesdays pub that night along with all of our familys for a beer, after useing Holiday Truths for so long we found we got on realy well as if we already know each other. Our daughters made friends as did both sets of grankids, so a good night was had by all, I never got to do a Karaoke so charlie must have felt a bit let down but at least I did not make a fool of myself, and as for the foam party well all the night clubs said I was to old to go in :cry: (well Mrs holidaymaker would not let go to be honest)
We now keep in touch via E mail and P Ms so a happy ending to a one of chance meeting all through Holiday Truths and by the way we both had a great weeks holiday.

Dave

P S, I would like to add I had sent charliegirl007 a mug shot via E mail before we went on holiday so this is how she knew who I was as we walked a long the prom.
Ooooooooooo Dave and Charlie sitting in a tree K. I .S .S .I. N .G :love :kiss :love2 :wink:
Hi Sliema2,

Thought it was strange you not posting but I hope you're fully recovered now. Some of these odd virus infections can be quite nasty but thankfully most only last a few days!

Trev
Ta Trev, still feeling a tad grim mate, off to the quacks tommorow for some kind of potion as I need to be on best form for our forthcoming return to the Magic Islands, as always hope all is spiffing with thee and thine.

Regards
Sliema2
The other night our door bell went, when I answered the door a big beatle beat me around the face and then ran off. When I went back in the wife said who was that, I said a big beatle who hit me, she said that she had heard there was a nasty bug going round. :shock:

Dave
I have just seen this post and would like to set the record straight about any suggestions that Dave and I were kissing 'in a tree'. Firstly, the night before dave arrived the was a tornado and most of the trees were blown down and secondly, I don't think that Dave was ever sober enough to climb a tree!!! :wink:
So all the snogging took place on the beach then ? :kiss
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.