Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi Phil and welcome to HT!

Definitely do not take euros travellers cheques regardless of what any travel agent will tell you. You can read more on Page 1 of the Currency topic at the top of the General Holiday Enquries forum.

luci :wave
hi luci and thanks for the advise. Page 1 read and undestood :) definitely not taking euro travs!

phil
Phil

If you have time, then I would get a nationwide flexaccount card. If not, then I would check the terms and conditions of the cards you have, to see which has the best terms as I don't like carrying that much cash either.

Louise
hi louise, only just really joined and found that the nationwide card was so useful. I rang them this morning but was going to take up to 10 days to open...as im flying out on friday, couldnt take the risk. Nevermind

im going to take sterling trav cheques and cash to see me a few days. I bank with halifax and i think they charge a flat fee of £1.50 per transaction and something like 2.95% of the actual total withdrawn...which adds up when you are talking about 1200 quid etc

thanks for the help

phil
Crikey, they know how to make their money!!! Louise
lol tell me about it

ordered trav cheques but already regretting it and thinking i should have just bit the bullet and put it on my debit card when i arrived...too late now, already been charged commission by my bank, but may just cash them in when i get them and still opt to use the plastic.

wouldnt have had this problem if i had booked AI in the first place!

phil
Try the FAIRFX prepaid card read about it here - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#prepaid

However the link from there to the actual site doesn't work correctly for the free card, as I found out the other day, I emailed the people at FAIRFX and they sent me this link
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-money/ and choose the 'prepaid card' tab at the top.
The card should cost £9.95 but by going through that link it is free.

Also read here which gives you all the FAQ's about the card. http://www.fairfx.com/cardfaq

JOJO
Remember that when you use a card in a cashpoint there is a limit on the amount you can withdraw daily. I think it's £250 on most cards.
With the FAIRFX prepaid card you can actually spend upto £3000 per day, it only costs 1.50 euros to withdraw cash and it doesn't cost anything to use it to purchase items.

JOJO.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.