Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We have just met several families new to turkey and obviously at this time of year the Travel Agents will recommend the antalya coast because of the better climate in april! What was nice to know that at least 4 families all now plan to have another holiday in Turkey! One scottish couple was blown away with the value and quality!
I think we can all agree on one thing that once you go to turkey be it any of regions you will get hooked on turkey and its lovely genuine people!
can't think of a username...when you want to know something about the Antalya area ..give me a shout..more than glad to help.. :tup
You are right there Violet, Turkey has somehing about it that people just keep going back again an again.
can't think of a username ...you are more than welcome...it is a bit true however that the majority of post tend to focus on one particular area..maybe due to the frequency of flights over other airports..

but it is sad in some ways that other places in Turkey ..dont seem to have or get as much attention as others..Turkey is a vast country with many wonderful places to visit..I would me interested in how many of the regulars have visited say the mind-blowing scenery and history of Cappadocia..the historical wonders of Istanbul..the historic areas of the St. Paul trail and Lycian way..the crusader castles of Anamur and Silfke. Nemrut DaÃâ€ΕΎÃ…¸, Trabzon, Van, Or even as far southeast to Antakya..for the gypsy mosics and christian historical sites..

that is why I enjoy the web sites of

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/history.htm

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/index.html

however I do beleive there are frequent and cheaper flights to say Istanbul and then one can fly domestic all over Turkey..I have lived here for over 13 yrs and I still have not seen it all..so many places to visit and not enough time..
A search facility is in operation on this forum, Input the area your looking for into it, And that will save you looking through others. :wave:
I can't see the problem. The forum is not that busy so you can see all the posts posted in the last week on the first page. You can use search to look for information on a particular resort or hotel.

I am a fan of the dalaman region but also go the Belek for a golf week with my husband. I am inclined to read any post that looks interesting/popular, you can learn about other regions that you may not have thought of visiting.

It would be nice to have more posts about the resorts and surrounding area, rather than about prices of holidays or drinks.
If 80% of the post are for dalaman then its really a dalaman forum and say the last weeks posts are on the first page makes no diffeence when 80% are dalaman, the turkey forum is really a dalaman forum with bit of other places thrown in. I think there would be much more dicussion and post on other area's if dalaman was seperate. The other areas forum might not be as busy as the dalaman forum but people will be more likely to post about the antalya or bodrum regions if the whole page isn't swamped with dalaman posts.
Cant think,After you have been to the Hemera you will want to return to Turkey.Why dont you give one of the fab AIs in the Dalaman area a try and then you will see why it is so popular. :que
Side town is lovely and there are many good AIs but the scenery isnt a patch on the scenery around the Dalaman resorts.
Side was the second place in Turkey I visited back in 1994 but I only chose it so I could visit Cappadocia.
Now, there a place that could have its own forum as there is no where else on earth like it.
Jay Trip

Its not about dalaman be so popular, its about the high number of dalaman posts suffocates posts on other area's of turkey. Because the dalaman area gets so many posts I think it would be better if it had its own forum page.

Turkey is a vast country with 3 main holiday area's, Dalaman, Bodrum and Antalya and they should really have their seperate forums, like with spain being split up into regions and like the greek islands being spilt up into seperate forum for popular islands.
I'm a new member here so perhaps don't have enough experience of this forum to form an opinion but I would like to say that alot of the things discussed on the "Turkey" forum are universal to the whole country and not specifically to the Dalaman area. I enjoy reading about other peoples views and experiences of regions of Turkey I have yet to visit and feel perhaps this aspect would be lost if it were split. Some members who write haven't yet visited Turkey at all and are looking for information and suggestions as to where would best suit them. Having different forums to post in would make this difficult and perhaps us newbies would miss the benefit of those members who post regularly if they affiliated themselves to different regional forums.
What about poor old Kusadasi then being stuck in Izmir?
I would agree with kimi - I see a lot of posts from "newbies" to Turkey who have come onto the forum seeking advice or suggestions on what would perhaps be the best place for them to visit? By splitting it up into different regions, they'd have to visit all forums to get the same advice. Not everyone will know which region a particular resort may be in either.
As others have pointed out too, if you're only interested in one particular region or resort, for example, it's easy enough to find posts relating to that by using the search function.
They will have to visit all forums for the advice Don't newbie have to do that with the spain forums, greek isalnd, majora, menorca, ibiza forums, its really diffcult looking and posting on different forums for different area's of turkey.

If its never tried nobody knows if it will work or not. The turkey forum is like a dalaman forum and the large number of dalaman post kills off non dalaman posts off fairly quickly because they get pushed to page 2 or 3 in no time at all.

Most of the posters are dalaman posters and are quite happy how the forum is now, the odd poster who post on other areas.

I only started this thread because somebody said to me the turkey forum is more like a dalaman forum.
First time visitors to Turkey will not recognise airport regions as they would recognise the Spanish costas and islands or Greek islands though.

If I was going to, say Marmaris on holiday for the first time I doubt I would remember until after I'd been that I'd be flying to Dalaman. Then it can be further confused by bringing in areas such as Mugla (and I'm not sure that Mugla covers all the resorts that Dalaman does?). Then do the first timers to Gumbet or Bitez say know that they will be flying into Bodrum or do they think the Bodrum forum is just for Bodrum town and therefore ignore it?

I can see where you are coming from but it seems a little hard to work to me.
Exactly, SandC - while many people will have a rough idea about the Spanish Costas or Greek islands, I don't think the same applies to Turkey - not yet anyway. I know some people who've been visiting Altkinkum for several years, for instance, but they'd be hard pushed to tell you which part of Turkey it's in.
People might come on here having heard of a good deal for one particular resort - say Marmaris, for example - and ask for suggestions and advice as to whether it might suit their particular needs. They may not know which part of Turkey it's in - and they may end up deciding it's not the resort they want and choosing somewhere else entirely after reading posts on here.
I've read posts about some parts of Turkey I probably wouldn't have known about if it hadn't been for browsing through various posts. As I say, if you're only interested in one particular resort or region, it's easy to narrow things down using the search facility.
Even some travel agents dont know where some resorts are :rofl
We are going to Gumbet and our friends wanted to book a hotel in the same area,anywhere in the Bodrum peninsular would have been OK but the agent has recommended the go to Altinkum :yikes
They were told it was a 10 minute transfer from Bodrum airport and was 10 minutes from Gumbet :que
This is a well known company not an internet or teletext company.
We are now trying to decide where we can meet between the 2 resorts.
Come on they have all the resorts listed for each area,like, Dalaman-Marmaris, Olu Denize, ect, ect it would be idiot proof then.

Jay trip in my experience most travel agent know very little, they are just there to sell holidays, not saying all travel agents but there are one's who don't. Some agents are very knowledgable but nobody can know every place.
Look in on the dalaman and bodrum forum, what I have no intersted in and about time there was a antalya forum. Turkey forum totally boring if you are not going to dalaman or bodrum.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.