Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Mike if you are talking about having a seperate forum dedicated to just that stretch of coast and the 4/5* A/I's then maybe that would work . Still think it would make more work for the mods though .

I like 4* + and being waited on but dont feel that the only area to provide that in Turkey is the Antalya coast . The rest of turkey is certainly not all cheap accomodation wth british bars . Far from it infact . I don't understand why you have that impression :que We always go A/I and so do many of us regulars on the Turkey forum . I dont feel that I am out numbered or get slated by A/I bashers . Theres a big mixture of us here . Yes it produces some lively debate at time's but it all adds to the mix.

Mike can I just ask . Is this your first visit to Turkey this year . The coastlines are only really split because it,s such a long coastline that require's numerous airports . The Antalya area is still Turkey much the same as the rest with all the same qualities we love about the whole of Turkey. Yes all areas have different characteristics and yes it is more widely visited by our European friends who are known to command a better standard of accomodation but surely we dont want snobbery creeping through here which is what this feels like to me . Like you when I go to the Hemera this summer I am expecting to find an A/I hotel equal to those that I have stayed in other parts of Turkey . I am not expecting luxury , pomp and slendour . just a normal good quality A/I with happy families enjoying themselves.

lyn
Yes I would have to agree with Lyn, Antalya is not the only area where there are good AI's they are about in other regions of Turkey. I think there just happens to be a large propensity of them in the Antalya area, as you have Side and Belek there and Lara Beach which seems to be taking off in offering 5* AI resort hotels, but it's all part of the same coastline just futher east. There are people on here who are fans of the area, bluepeter has been going there for years and caretta lives there and puts up interesting posts of what to do in that area. Jaytrip also like it there so it's not an area without its fans and they do post and answer questions when asked. I think perfume has been to the hemera loads of times, its not an area that is without posts, its just less posts than in other regions.
doepsmc and Lyn

The reason why I think the antalya area should have a seperate forum because there are so many ultra A/I of 4* and 5* the biggest concentration compared to any other part of turkey. Yes there are good A/I's in other parts of turkey but of limited numbers. I am glad you can see my point of view about antalya area and it being different because the number of ultra A/I hotels in the area.

As said before if there was an antalya forum it wouldn't affect anybody who want to post about the dalaman and bodrum or any other area of turkey. Why do we always get it will mean more work the mods, surely admin could ask if anybody wanted to be mod to up their numbers.

I don't know why other members can be so against an antalya forum when it will not affect them in the slightest. I would expect an antalya for to start off very slow but build with time and become more popular. The area is becoming more and more popular with brits.
Why do we always get it will mean more work the mods, surely admin could ask if anybody wanted to be mod to up their numbers.

I will let the mods/admin answer that Mike but I'm sure they will tell you that moding takes up a considerable amount of time and is often a thankless task. :really

Are you volunteering then Mike :rofl I still think a good all round knowledge of Turkish resorts and their whereabouts, including particular airports would be needed . The mods will be under extra pressure at the moment without Nette (Briar) and they would possibly have to pick apart every post with the view that it may need shifting .

lyn
Lyn

I could understand it being more work for the mods if it was half a dozen new forums were wanted.

I am only interested in ultra A/I hotels were I can get branded spirits instead of the nasty locally produced cheap stuff, I never drink local spirits where ever I go, I always pay the extra for the real stuff. I like hotels what are directly on the beach, I like the beach to be sandy, i won't go anywhere unless it has a decent beach. I don't want to jump on shuttle bus to a lagoon or a water taxi to a beach, I don't want a beach where I am packed in like sardines, I like the sea to be very warm and the antalya area the sea temps are between 2c to 4c warmer than the rest of turkey. The last place I would stay is in a apartment or a 2* or 3* hotel, I don't mind paying a £1000 to £1200 pp to stay in good quality accommodation, I could do a DIY to dalaman or bodrum for £300 PP elsewhere in turkey, I could of booked S/C for just over £1200 for my party but its not what I am looking for in a holiday.
everyone likes different things in a holiday, i like to do both , i enjoy 4-5* all inclusives and i equally enjoy sc but away from the main tourist resorts , i like to see the real turkey, personally for me i dont like being hotel bound.

having been to 3 resorts in the antalya area aswell as izmir ,bodrum and dalaman areas and not forgetting istanbul, ive been to most resorts in turkey and happy to give my opinion on all these areas , im quite happy with the forum as it is, so i can help everyone as much as i can. everytime ive been to the antalya areas the brits have been in the minority,lots of dutch, belgium, russians etc. sorry mike its probably not want you want to hear, but i thought as ive been to all these areas it was worth commenting
I go to the Antalya region every year and will be again in September but to a small resort Adrasan, the hotel we stay in is small and basic on bed and breakfast as like to use the local restaurants to eat in as they are really good, but just what we want a quiet relaxing holiday, how would information like this fit into the forum you would like on the Antalya region as you asume everyone wants to go ultra all inclusive, this resort and others like it around Antalya would be left out of both forums.
I wasnt aware their was a separate Dalaman and Bodrum forum. :que
I have been to all areas in Turkey and am happy to trawl through the Turkey forum.
If I want anything specific I use the search facility.
Antalya is not all AI hotels.I was on the first UK flight to that airport from Manchester in May 1994 and stayed in a hotel that could be described as a youth hostel. :rofl
I am going to Austria soon but will have to look on another website for more information as there is not much information on HT.
As a previous poster and I have said look on TA as there is lots of information on the Antalya area and each resort has its own forum.
I have just been to Gumbet HB for the first time and the hotel was the best I have stayed in in Turkey and that includes,The Hemera,Club Sun City,Club Turban and the Aqua.
Mike you are in for a shock if you think the beach in Side wont be packed like sardines!
It was when we were there and it was March!
Lady you could say please add the resort I visit to the antalya forum if it happened, it would show people there are more resorts than just the main ones, let you educate members there are place more than the ultra A/I resorts. I have learnt something already about the antalya area already from lady what I didn't know and would of not found out about with the way the forum is at the moment. Lady can you see what I am saying now. Jay trip I don't really see why somebody should be told use the search facility to find what they want, really misses the point I think.

Can anybody who goes to dalaman or bodrum areas actually say how having an antalya area forum how it would affect them and the way they post on turkey. It would mean doing an extra couple of clicks to look at whats been posted in the antalya area forum. I am glad members who post on spain don't say spain should it be one big forum or greece and the greek isles should be on one forum.

I have said what I want ed to say and I won't be back on to moan for another 6 months.
I think the little bit of info Lady has just given in her post is very helpful. If you dont know Antalya at all and dont particularly want to go all inclusive to a 5* hotel then this is the type of information that can help people find something that suits them better (e.g a small quietish resort where you can suit yourself about where to eat as opposed to using the facilities of a large hotel).

I have no objections whatsoever to all inclusive but it just lets us all know what the other options are in areas that we are not familiar with. Personally I really like Marmaris and Icmeler but wouldnt rule out that one day I will try Antalya.
One of the best hotels in Side in my opinion is the Beach House Hotel overlooking the sea in the old town.
Its owned by Penny and Ali and their family and they have a fabulous restaurant next door called Sound Waves.
It is a small guest house and only does B&B and its where I would stay if I went to Side again.
It is nice to hear about the resort that Lady talks about it her post and I believe she is of the same opinion as many of us in thinking that the forum suggested by the OP would not be an Antalya forum, more of an "ultra-A/I in the Antalya region" forum, (perhaps this is not what you are suggesting but that does seems to be what is coming across, unless I have missed something) I think her post may be of interest to all users of the Turkey forum, not exclusively to people who only have an interest in Antalya and in particular to those who have neither the budget nor desire to know only about "luxury resorts" (I have been on all-inclusive holidays myself before I am suspected of being part of the A/I bashing brigade)

The search facility is there to help us all, for example today I needed to find out if something would be available to buy in a supermarket in Turkey, I used the search facility to see if the information was already available on the forum. Similarly if I wanted to find out something about a resort I would used the search facility as there is no point in duplicating posts when the information may be already available. I don't think Jay Trip has missed the point at all!

The Turkey forum is pretty busy, but not so busy that all the posts made in the past 10-14 days cannot be viewed on the first couple of pages, so I am not quite sure how the Antalya posts are being "choked" by posts about other areas, it's really not the case. I am not against an Antalya forum per se, I just happen to think that there has been no justification given so far for a division.
I will let the mods/admin answer that Mike but I'm sure they will tell you that moding takes up a considerable amount of time and is often a thankless task.

Until you do it, I don't think anyone understands the work and commitment it takes. Its sometimes a thankless task. However, we do listen to our members and if there is a call for something and we think it will be popular we are always willing to give it a go, what we won't do is create new forums where we don't see the need.

Sarah
Me too Jay, have I missed something :que I didn't know there were seperate forums for Dalaman and Bodrum? Or am I too easily confused :(
what we won't do is create new forums where we don't see the need

You never know unless its tried.
As for the little used AI forum, that was introduced at the suggestion of members so we do listen. However, as we suspected before introducing it, it has not attracted the posts that those members were sure it would.

luci :wave
Maybe a new forum would stop this thread going around in circles and keep us all sane. :rofl
Why dont we just have separate forums for Dalaman And Bodrum areas ( they would be very busy) and then cant think of a username could have the Turkey forum just for the Antalya region. That would work :think . Just my opinion though. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.